Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I only recently discovered the Crosstour after moving from the U.K. and instantly fell in love. Managed to track down a 2010 and am loving it. Only issue I've had so far is a flashing check engine light. The first time it happened the mechanics scanned the computer and the only code was check oil which was fine. Two months later and it has happened again - bizarrely at exactly the same spot on the highway just in the opposite direction. Coincidence? The light stops flashing when the engine is turned off and restarted. Anyone else have this problem? It has happened twice in my three months of ownership so just wondering before I take it back in ... Thanks everyone and happy driving.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would find an autoparts store, Napa, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, or what is around in Canada judging by your username and get a code reader from them to borrow to read the code yourself so long as the check engine light is on. Hopefully that gives you something.

Or you can go the denial route and flash your ECU by disconnecting the battery for 60+ seconds before reconnecting it and see if the code comes back after 100-200 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flashing check engine light may mean a misfire. check your spark plugs. not sure if on plug coils can be check but make sure that all of them are secure and fit snugly on the plugs. well, check those first, i guess, and then the plugs :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Flashing check engine light may mean a misfire. check your spark plugs. not sure if on plug coils can be check but make sure that all of them are secure and fit snugly on the plugs. well, check those first, i guess, and then the plugs :)
If it does end up being the plugs, they're fairly easy to change so long as you don't have short arms. I'd also recommend a magnetic and bending spark plug socket, very useful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the tips. I ran it by my mechanic to run the codes on the computer to see if there was anything recorded but there was nothing there - luckily they did it for free. I got the message re spark plugs after and will have a look at those as soon as weather permits (though I think they should have been okay three months ago as I had the vehicle inspected before purchase) as I think a misfire was the likely culprit. Should I be concerned that it has happened twice in three months or does it just happen and sorts itself out - seems to have been when accelerating out of ECO mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd change the plugs and start from there before you worry about the coils.
I might have missed it but what is the mileage on you CT?

·
Registered
19 Posts
After a quick glance at the thread I would agree with the previous posters that it is likely a plug issue. That is typically the only time I have seen the flashing of a check engine light. The crosstours come with iridium plugs installed from the factory and are suppose to be good up to 100k miles. If you are able to you can verify a misfire usually with a good scan tool. It will tell you how many misfires you have had in each cylinder. Again if it is a good scan tool it will be able to tell you previously stored codes even if they are no longer active.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also to answer your question, yes you are likely to get more misfires when attempting to accelerate rapidly especially out of eco mode. Normal driving may allow the ecu to determine that even thou there are misfires happenning, there are not enough in a given amount of time to turn the light on. If you are trying to accelerate, the engine is trying to fire more in a given amount of time which would cause the count to go up enough for the ecu to throw the light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts