Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2012 crosstour about 2 weeks ago. I went in to get a crv but Honda didn't want to work with me then I found my ct in their show room. Sticker was $36,000 and it was marked down to $28,000. I traded in my dd which was a 2003 focus and I put $5,000 down so I drove off the lot with a new 2012 crosstour EXL V6 w/o navi for $22,000 with 1.75 interest. So far I love this thing. I love the room compare to my wife's 2012 4 door civic and my 2003 s2000.

I do have a newbie question cal I have the oem navi installed or would that require changing out the dashboard too?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another option

Another option is to add a stand alone GPS unit.

I have a Garmin 3490 mounted to the left of the steering wheel using an adhesively applied post that fits the mount on the gps. You can find mfg refurbished 3490's on ebay for under $200 and that comes with lifetime map upgrades and traffic - and a 1 year mfg warranty.

I just switched out my 2010 Xtour EXL with Navi for a 2013 EXL w/o. In the 2.5 years that I drove the '10, I never used the on board Navi because I couldn't stand the user interface.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a garmin but I'm probably going to get one with lifetime maps and traffic updates

·
Registered
476 Posts
Once one has used a good standalone GPS like a Garmin, any Factory NAV systems is likely to be a big disappointment. Honda seems to really love "Dumbing Down" their Factory units and making them hard to use especially when underway.

I went with my Garmin Zumo 665 which now pulls double duty in the Crosstour and my 2005 Honda Goldwing Touring Bike, excellent GPS!

I used a Proclip mounting bracket to place the GPS just to the right of the Crosstour's 8" screen, placement is excellent.

I have removed the XM Radio Puck you see on the dash and used a Garmin GTM 20 with Lifetime Traffic FM Power Cord instead to provide FM Traffic alerts on the GPS. This way I don't have to also move the XM Radio puck back and forth with the GPS. Makes for a cleaner install also...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MU45FS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good. So I'm guessing all garmins that have live traffic updates come with that sirius style antenna. Because I'm about to replace my garmin with a new one

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do a similar trick with an excellent ProClip mount for my iPhone and run the TomTom iPhone app - or, occasionally, Waze. Also gives me excellent access for Siri close to the steering wheel (I mount mine more to the left). Solid mount, and the Garmin or TomTom apps on anyone's modern cell phone are a hell of a lot better than any car's navigation, and three or four years from now will be right up to date, as opposed to what you bought with the car. Can't understand why anyone puts up with car supplied navigation systems.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looks good. So I'm guessing all garmins that have live traffic updates come with that sirius style antenna. Because I'm about to replace my garmin with a new one

My Garmin Zumo 665 is one of the few Garmin's that has Full XM Radio Music/Traffic/Weather capabilities built in (With the XM Radio puck attached).

I only need the full XM capabilities on my Motorcycle since the Crosstour EX-L comes with XM radio built in.

As stated, I elected to use a optional GTM 20 FM Traffic receiver when the Zumo 665 in installed in the Crosstour. The Zumo is capable of receiving traffic updates from either XM or FM receivers.

Most Garmin "Traffic" GPS Units use an FM receiver nowadays.

The "Zumo" series is aimed at the Motorcycle market with several special features including IPX7 waterproofing, Easy to control with gloves on and several other enhancements for two-wheel/outdoor use. XM is a desirable option as it is not part of any package from Honda for their touring motorcycles. Makes it more expensive to purchase also.

Any Garmin "Nuvi" model would be good for the Crosstour, and would be considerably cheaper to purchase... No additional "attachments" either as the FM receiver is built into the power cord.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts