Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 EX-L V6 AWD with Navigation
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new community! Just got a 2012 EX-L on Monday. Only 54K miles. Former owner only drove it a tad over 5,000 miles a year. It really is 'like new,' so I feel really lucky. I've wanted a Crosstour since I first noticed here in Western North Carolina/Asheville area about 6 years ago. Then a good friend bought one and got to test drive it and then I knew having one would be on my radar.

I'm still trying to figure out how to program radio stations, get the bluetooth working to my advantage... This is my first vehicle upgrade since my 1998 Toyota Tacoma truck that had absolutely NOTHING electronic on it. Crank windows, push/pull door locks, not even a clock. She's been a good truck but I needed to upgrade. Still keeping the truck, just sidelined it for runs to Lowe's and Landfill.

Any tips/tricks anyone would like to share for ultimate experience?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome tot he family.

A couple of things you might want to consider are adding a VCM Muzzler and getting your timing belt changed.

Honda's implementation of VCM for 2010 to 2012 was a ****-show and will be your worst nightmare. Look up VCM Issue on here and you'll see. A Muzzler will deactivate VCM and avoid the engine committing a slow suicide.

As for the timing belt, Honda recommends every 7 years or 100,000 miles. You're at 10 years. If your car has no record of the being done, I'd suggest doing that. Water pump will be done at the same time and will run you about $1000 to $1200, but it's a lot cheaper than a new engine if the timing belt breaks.

As for programming radio stations, find the station you want then press and hold the preset number. That's how to assign it to a preset. You should have two banks of FM presets and one bank of AM presets.

As for Bluetooth, use the Talk button on the steering wheel. Use the owner's manual to learn the sayings. It's something like "Pair" to get your phone connected. I have an iPhone 6s+ (yea, I know. Old.) and it works fine. If you want to listen to music through the head unit, you'll have to plug your phone into the USB cable in the armrest compartment. But the kicker is that you'll have to have one song on your phone for the car stereo to recognize that you want to play music through it. I made a blank audio file of nothing but silence for 10 seconds called "Hello, Chris" which essentially "wakes up" the car radio into understanding that you want to play music. At that point, I can listen to podcasts, Pandora, Spotify, Plex, whatever over the car stereo.

Good luck and many happy miles to you! I have a 2010 EX-L with 212,000 miles on it. Treat it right and you'll have it for a long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations, @Smackiepipe on your (new) 2012. Sounds like mine. I also have a 2012 EX-L with the same mileage. I've been retired for the last six years, and never really drove it much, either.

Good advice on the timing belt and water pump from @cjsebes. I'm in the same position, and have been thinking of changing mine, due to age vs mileage, but haven't committed to doing so. Guess I'll have to get motivated. I'll probably do the idler pulley, as well. I plan to do the work myself. I have a Honda service manual, and have watched a few YouTube videos. Doesn't look too complicated, just a pain. However, the last step requires using Honda's HDS to "relearn the crank position sensor" (or something to that affect). I'm wondering if I'll be able to find someone locally to do that for me when I'm done, without too much trouble.

I'm new to the club for my Crosstour, but have been active on the ROC the past year, on my '21 Ridgeline. I'm aware of the VCM Muzzler, but not the issues with the 2012 implementation that @cjsebes has noted. Guess I'll have to do some research, too. Hope it's not too late.

You should be able create an account, and download the Owner's Manual from the Honda Owners site, if you don't have one.

You can also enter your VIN and access any service records for work that was performed at a dealership, as well as add your own maintenance history.

Good luck with your CT, and I hope it serves you well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts