Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a left over 2012 EX-L V6 4WD and am disappointed in the gas mileage. We recently took a weekend trip from Dallas to Kansas City and the best we got was 22 MPG. The car has only about 3,000 miles on it. I had a 2012 V6 front wheel drive and got anywhere between 26 - 30 MPG on a trip. I can't believe the 4WD would cause that much of a decrease in mileage. Most of the highway driving was at a max of 75 mph and the ECO mode was on for most of it.
Has anyone else experienced this with the 4WD and if so, what can be done to increase the mileage?

·
Registered
34 Posts
similar but different

I have a 2011, and it had 15k on it when I bought it. The best I got for the first 3000 miles in pretty much exclusive highway usage was 24mpg. I too was disappointed. But as time and experience passed, I learned to feather the accelerator and other gas saving processes we all know about. Also, I believe the car itself begins to learn how I drive it--I'd be interested to know if this is actual rather than just a perception from a tech who knows) and after all is said and done, I now typically get between 25 and 28mpg depending upon the percentage of highway vs city. Don't know if the 2012 has a different final drive ratio, but the 2013 does and that's why it is rated considerably higher in mileage for highway use than the 2011. Your 22 is more than likely a result of a heavier than normal use of the accelerator, and perhaps a little too quick off the stop. You may not think you're driving differently than with other cars, but the differences between the accelerator/operator relationship is something that takes time to adjust to. Hope it improves for you. It's a great car. I wish it got 37mpg but then it doesn't look like a Smart Car either, nor did we pay the price of a hybrid.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It'll come up as the car gets some miles on it, I think. Mine was a similar story at first (Feb 2012, v6 4WD), but by mid summer - pretty well loaded up, hot as hell and with the A/C blasting - we got 26.9 on a trip from Saratoga Springs to Wilmington, NC and back, with a lot of local driving around the beach town in NC during the week.

It's all about the cruise control! Banging around locally I get around 19 - 20, but every time I put it on the Northway I can always run it up to 24 -26. I hear people say they can get 30, but I don't believe it for a minute. Not bad, considering the 4WD and the weight of the car.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I hear people say they can get 30, but I don't believe it for a minute. Not bad, considering the 4WD and the weight of the car.
I have a FWD I4 model year 2012. I bought it to make 4-5 trips each year from Chicago, about half to Fayetteville, GA and the other half to Boston to assist elderly family.

I'm 70. So, you can imagine how old they are.

In any event, I run the Ecoroute HD fuel economy analyzer that uses the On Board Diagnostics data through a Bluetooth connection device to compute gas mileage. It also has a comparative feature where you input odometer and gas bought at each gas stop. The numbers were very close. The Ecoroute fuel mileage came in at 30.4 mpg.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mpg

I have a 2012 CT 4WD Nav bought Dec. 2011.
Feb 2012 went to FL for two months and put 4000 on CT. (From upstate NY ). 2400 miles on the interstate with cruise set to 72MPH and the rest of the miles were 95% in the 45 to 55 MPH range. CT was loaded to the hilt on the interstate. 800 miles on CT when we left and got (with pencil and paper) 25.0MPG.

This year we made the same trip and got 24.9 MPG. Now have 12000 miles on CT. So much for "break in"

Around town I'm lucky to eak out 17MPG.

A side note. On our trip we stopped at a gas station and the pump had a sticked that stated "enriched with ethenal". What BS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts