Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Crosstour w/navi
When I put on sun glasses part of the navi screen appears to be smoked over. This happens with any sunglasses and in my case the screen appears smoked over on the right side. The rest of the screen is OK. It also seems to be on the "shield" that covers the navi and not on the navi screen itself.

Took it in to the dealer today and they say it's caused by the ultraviolet coating on the glasses. If it was, then my question is why doesn't it cover the entire screen for which they gave me no answer. They said, in effect, what you see is what you get. I also don't believe you can buy sunglasses without ultraviolet coating, at least with prescription glasses.

Any suggestions as to who in the "higher up" chain at Honda to complain to would be appreciated.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Same problem, I always blamed it on Polarized Lenses. My regular glasses are ultraviolet coated and I do not get that same effect.

I will say this for me it's the whole screen that is too dark to see

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
I would try a few things:

1) Check out a few other Crosstours with your sunglasses. Is it just your CT or all CT’s?

2) Check out some other vehicles such Chevrolets, Fords, and Subaru. See if their NAV screen is any different than Honda.

When you purchased this vehicle, did you try it with your sunglasses on? Meaning, has the NAV screen changed any or is it the same way as when you purchased it.

Have you tried adjusting the brightness of the NAV screen?

I'm not that familiar with the ultraviolet coating on glasses. Are there various levels of ultraviolet coatings?

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's not the ultraviolet coating, it's the polarization of the sunglasses. You can verify this by sitting in your Crosstour in the sunlight and looking at your radio/navi screen through one lens while turning the glasses, (or tilt your head from one side to the other). You should see the screen turn from dark to light, then dark again. This is usually an inconvenience compared to the extra eye protection that is gained by having a polarized lens. If you can't live with it, or if it is a safety factor, there are three things you can do:

1. Try a different pair of polarized sunglasses. You'll be able to tell right away if it's better.
2. Close the sunroof to make it darker in the cabin...not completely effective, but it will help when the sun is shining in at the right angle, or...
3. Buy a pair of non-Polarized sunglasses. Usually aviator sunglasses are non-polarized due to the flat screens in an aircraft where you get the same effect. (Not very fun when you are on final approach, and the screen looks black, or is partially black.

On a similiar note...this also is the same when you are using an iPad with polarized sunglasses on.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It's not the ultraviolet coating, it's the polarization of the sunglasses. You can verify this by sitting in your Crosstour in the sunlight and looking at your radio/navi screen through one lens while turning the glasses, (or tilt your head from one side to the other). You should see the screen turn from dark to light, then dark again. This is usually an inconvenience compared to the extra eye protection that is gained by having a polarized lens. If you can't live with it, or if it is a safety factor, there are three things you can do:

1. Try a different pair of polarized sunglasses. You'll be able to tell right away if it's better.
2. Close the sunroof to make it darker in the cabin...not completely effective, but it will help when the sun is shining in at the right angle, or...
3. Buy a pair of non-Polarized sunglasses. Usually aviator sunglasses are non-polarized due to the flat screens in an aircraft where you get the same effect. (Not very fun when you are on final approach, and the screen looks black, or is partially black.

On a similiar note...this also is the same when you are using an iPad with polarized sunglasses on.
I also messed with the brightness & contrast, you might want to try that too

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I didn't describe my problem very well. The whole screen doesn't darken with sun glasses. It is only on the right side and it is not an even darkening but looks like it was dabbed on with a rag and is brownish in color. It also is not on the actual nav screen but on the shield that sits about an inch in front of the nav screen.

I think my best recourse is talk to my salesman and look at another CT.

I thank everyone for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know exactly what you're describing and depending on how drastic it is, it is normal for polarized lenses. I have always chalked up different areas of a screen looking different to the curvature of the sunglasses lenses and a slight variation in angle from those lenses to various points on a screen.

Something to try would be - put your sunglasses on and sit in the car so that you can see the obscured part of the screen. Then, without changing the distance or angle between you and the screen, turn your head directly toward the spot and then tilt your head left and right. If it is being caused by the polarized lenses of your sunglasses, the spot will disappear and reappear as you tilt your head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts