Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I received offers from a vendor that wanted to sell me a map update DVD for my Nav. system for $149 or 3 DVDs for 3 consecutive years for $299, I was shocked by this obvious rip-off, but also regret that I did not get into this detail when buying the car. Because I can get a name brand 7-inch GPS with windshield kit for less than $100 with free updates.

Why should I pay these prices when GPS systems like Garmin and Megellan charge under $10 to nothing to update the maps? Let alone that Honda maps have the worst image/interface comparing to other GPS systems that I have seen!

But I am not ready to sell my car just because of the Nav. map update trap. The map also has errors that can guide via wrong ways. So I have to search for options now because I can't rely on the old map anymore.

Does any CT owner have a good source to get the update without costing this much? I guess competitions should have caught up now, or there may be some ways to get around of paying the full prices?

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's always the story with Navi updates in a car. They got u real good. Unless you want a unit hanging from the windshield.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
374 Posts
The big advantage of onboard/DVD based Navigation is that it works with a high degree of success in areas where there is non existent GPS/cellular coverage. I travel in such areas far more often than I realized.

I'm glad I ended up with it in my 2010 CT (in spite of the fact that I was adamantly against it at that time).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does any CT owner have a good source to get the update without costing this much? I guess competitions should have caught up now, or there may be some ways to get around of paying the full prices?
I'm not aware of any cheap places to buy new update DVDs, but the good news is, usually, you can buy one and that should last you a while. My last update (on my 03 Accord) was back in 2008, or 2009. I have not had the need to get a newer, more current update.

Obviously, there's going to be new roads built, but so far, that 08/09 update, plus my iPhone, I've been able to get to all the places I need to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you wait till the new year, they typically have a $49 sale. I managed to get that price updating the maps in my TSX that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you wait till the new year, they typically have a $49 sale. I managed to get that price updating the maps in my TSX that way.
A $49 sale? Where can I get that?

As far as I know one can get an old DVD for $99 when it is very close to or after the new updated DVD comes out.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I received offers from a vendor that wanted to sell me a map update DVD for my Nav. system for $149 or 3 DVDs for 3 consecutive years for $299, I was shocked by this obvious rip-off, but also regret that I did not get into this detail when buying the car. Because I can get a name brand 7-inch GPS with windshield kit for less than $100 with free updates.

Why should I pay these prices when GPS systems like Garmin and Megellan charge under $10 to nothing to update the maps? Let alone that Honda maps have the worst image/interface comparing to other GPS systems that I have seen!

But I am not ready to sell my car just because of the Nav. map update trap. The map also has errors that can guide via wrong ways. So I have to search for options now because I can't rely on the old map anymore.

if anyone does, let me know too. i bough e $150 update for my 2015. couldn't get it to work, dealer is no help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts