Honda Crosstour Forums banner

My Low Beams are Virtually Non-existent (Best Bulbs in 2021?)

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Old Honda Man 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting older and having more and more trouble seeing the road at night. Therefore, I'd like to replace my stock low beams (high beams and fog work fine).

Most of the 'LED' and 'Headlights' threads on the forum appear dated so I have a few questions:
  1. Are Daytime Running Lights (DRL) equivalent to low beams?
  2. Are the same bulbs used for DRL and fog lights?
  3. Do plug and play LEDs exist yet or is a wiring in a resister still required?
  4. Are there plug and play LEDs without a fan?
  5. If yes to 3 & 4, what are the recommended LED bulbs?
  6. If no to 3 & 4, what are the recommended non-LED low beam replacement bulbs?
  7. In a 2010 CT, the high beams use a 9005 bulb and the fog AND low beams both use a H11 bulb correct?
Thx

#3 ·
Most of the 'LED' and 'Headlights' threads on the forum appear dated so I have a few questions:
  1. Are Daytime Running Lights (DRL) equivalent to low beams?
  2. Are the same bulbs used for DRL and fog lights?
  3. Do plug and play LEDs exist yet or is a wiring in a resister still required?
  4. Are there plug and play LEDs without a fan?
  5. If yes to 3 & 4, what are the recommended LED bulbs?
  6. If no to 3 & 4, what are the recommended non-LED low beam replacement bulbs?
  7. In a 2010 CT, the high beams use a 9005 bulb and the fog AND low beams both use a H11 bulb correct?
I went the route of HID's in factory headlights. They do good and provide a lot more light - the OEM projectors do have a visible cut off line.. but theres definitely a little bit of scattered light. HID's are a bit involved though as you need to wire relays and ballasts, etc. Im generally a fan of HID over LED but I think I just haven't tried any good LED's yet, only amazon in the <$75 range.

To answer your questions:
  1. Daytime running lights are typically high beams ran at lower power, so a dim highbeam. Mandatory in Canada, and only wired on some american vehicles.
  2. Highbeam bulb (DRL) - 9005. Lowbeam - H11. Fog light - H11.
  3. Can't answer for Crosstours. Most of my experience with LED has been plug and play though (new'ish subarus)
  4. Some LEDs will have large bases with fins that act as heat sinks instead of fans. Should be enough room for them either way.
5 and 6 I cant speak on. and 7. Yes, see 2.

Hope that helps

#4 ·
Wood Font Gas Engineering Musical instrument accessory
I bought these off Amazon or eBay. But when one went out, and I couldn't wait for delivery, I went to local AutoZone and bought some Phillips for 5x as much as internet bulbs, but they supposedly have a five year warranty, so hope that holds up . Dumping the bumper cover isn't my favorite task, but I've got pretty proficient at it, so it didn't bother me the first set of bulbs life was short, they were cheap . What I would recommend more than bulbs even, is NEW headlight lenses, again, I found some on internet for like $80/side, and along with new bulbs our lights look brand new, and crystal clear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.