Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the vibration is back in my Crosstour, this time it's so bad, its like driving over the rumble strip on the highway.
Back to the dealer she went yesterday, they said oh its the tires need balancing and the rotors needed to be cut again. So I sat for 3 hours while they did that. Did not fix it. Back to the dealership I went. She's still there now. Talked to them this afternoon, they said they have absolutely no idea what is causing this severe vibration. I told them I do not feel safe driving it, it feels like the wheels are going to fall off. They said they basically were going to have to play parts replacer again, and start with the front axles. Bad news is they are on back order with no idea when they will get new ones. They also said the car showed a code in the history for a solenoid periodically failing. But they dont think that has anything to do with it. Both the axles and solenoid are expensive so they need permission from Honda to replace them.
I did a little reasearch on the internet today, and found there are THREE others who have had this identical problem. With the rotors keep warping and the vibration, though they are not connected. Which is good news, because I know its not just me. Bad news is the other 3 gave up and traded the cars with out finding out what was causing it.
In total frustration, and finally hitting Lemon law status, I decided it was time to call Honda Corporate and talk to them about this since its a Certified Pre owned. The woman I talked to was floored, and said she was going to put "urgent" on it to escalate it to a district manager representative to call me asap. Hoping for quick resolution, I don't have time for lengthy negotiations, I work 2 jobs and go to college full time.
I'm grateful the dealership gave me a nice Accord EXL Coupe to drive while this gets sorted out, but I'm just so done with having my CT in the shop chasing a mystery vibration. :(
I am open to getting another one, I think this is just a weird fluke, and I had the misfortune to buy it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
...don't give them any more chances. I would not!
So I have good news and bad news.
Good :D: Honda rep showed up TODAY at the dealership (very quick considering I reported the issue less than 24 hours ago).

BAD :mad:: Honda Corporation wants to continue screwing around trying to fix the car, meanwhile the dealer is only reimbursed 20 bucks an hour,
which is less than they pay the foreman who's working on the car,
and add to it I'm racking up 100 miles a day on the loaner car that they could have sold.
Dealership agrees, this is BS. Honda is willing to replace the front end, the solenoid, and if necessary the transmission to try to fix it,
but here's the kicker, all 3 are on indefinite back order.
So I could be driving this loaner for weeks if not months, more money lost by the dealer, and I'll be a more pissed customer for making payments on a car I don't have.

GOOD :D: The rep happened to be driving a 2015 Crosstour EXL AWD V6 (hoping it has navi like mine, but I forgot to ask), so the dealer called Honda Corporate and said we want the reps car,
so she left with one of their cars instead which Honda will buy from the dealer.
The dealership is trying to do right by me, they are going to buy the Crosstour from Honda, then try to make the numbers work so they can sell it or lease it to me.
This is taking a huge risk because then they are stuck with my unfixable car. Later they will fight with Honda and try to get them to buy back my car,
or they will take a blood bath on it at auction, they won't bother trying to fix it, because I believe and they do as well, this is not a fixable car.
Just like the other 3 I found on the internet.
I'm happy Honda Corp jumped on the case so fast, not happy they want to continue playing parts replacer with the dealerships money and my patience.
So in the end I may come out on top, with a 4 year newer vehicle. I will definitely make sure I get it certified and extended warranty.
I have not lost faith in the quality of the brand, or the model, but hey, not gonna risk it.

Dealer said its a process to buy the car from Honda, plus they have to get my loan paid off with Honda, and get a new loan or lease for me,
Its definitely going to take time.

I think the dealership must be pretty confident they can make this work, or they would not have asked to buy the reps car from Honda when
they already have 4 loaded Crosstours on their lot they haven't been able to move.
By buying hers from Honda, they can sell it to me for way less than the ones on their lot, saving me and them money.
I do not in any way blame this dealership, this exact same thing has happened to 3 others that I know of,
and those other dealers could not fix the car either. My CT is just a dud, it happens, all Mfg's build some sooner or later,
I just had the misfortune to be the one to buy it.
I'll keep you updated on this!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
THat is unfortunate, no car is perfect, that dealership sucks though, I hope you get it solved
I dont think its the dealers fault, they didn't know the car had this problem, and they've moved heaven and earth and lost a fortune trying to fix it. I don't blame them at all. I am not thrilled Honda isn't willing to step in and still wants to play parts replacer with the dealers money and my patience.

But the dealer is stepping in and taking extraordinary measures measures to help me. Soon I may be driving your twin Ivan :) We can race each other hehe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Legal "Incentives"

As long as no one makes them do otherwise the manufacturer will continue to play this incompetent charade on your dime, so to speak. They do, however, understand specific legal language and will respond to those words when they are clearly spoken.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As long as no one makes them do otherwise the manufacturer will continue to play this incompetent charade on your dime, so to speak. They do, however, understand specific legal language and will respond to those words when they are clearly spoken.
Oh I get that, I have been through this twice with a different Mfg. And I successfully did it with no attorney, and got back every penny I paid, plus refunded all accessories I put on the car, so I'd consider myself "good" at handling this kind of situation. I know exactly the way to get them to cough up buying it back, but do I have the time? No, I am in college full time for over another month, I work 2 jobs, have hours of homework to get done every night, so the soonest I could exchange this language with them is mid to late December, meanwhile I keep making payments and my car sits idle at the dealer, snow starts falling soon in MA and I am driving a front wheel drive loaner car. Right now I'll take the quick less stressful way out. And I've run the numbers, and taking this route I come out better than if I made them buy the car back and refund me.

But if the dealer is willing to pay off this dud, put me into a brand spanky new Crosstour with in a week, yea I'm gonna take that route. Screwing around with Honda and exchanging veiled threats and specific language could take months. Meanwhile I've got a car in the shop, with no available parts to even TRY to fix it. And I'm driving a loaner running up bills for the dealer. Again I've run the numbers and the dealers way out is a much better option for me in the long run.

Since the car they got me, is being sold to them at a severe discount, I will get that discount passed on to me, and be better off than if I leased one with zero miles. I believe this one has like 10k on it, and my warranty will start the day I take possession.

Honda is jerking the dealership around, they get to abuse the dealer at 20 bucks an hour to try to resolve it, instead of buy it back and have to pay one of their engineers hundreds an hour to rip it apart. I think its a really low move to do that to the dealership, they are losing a lot of money on this car. They did 4500 bucks worth of work so far, replacing the drive shaft, both rear axles and the differential, plus turning rotors replacing pads etc, all at 20 bucks an hour, so they recoupe less than a grand for all that work, never mind all the time they have spent just trying to figure out the problem.
Putting in new front axles, solenoid, maybe transmission, is more than 4500 bucks more, and again dealer gets maybe a grand back. Maybe then Honda would give up, but they are getting the labor to screw around at a fraction of the actual cost. Bad mojo to mistreat your dealerships like that in my opinion.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No word from Honda Corporate today.
The Honda dealership told me to come in and they'd see what they could do to trade me out of my broken Crosstour. Best they could do was a 2015 Civic EXL lease or a used 2010 Accord Coupe EXL. Took them both for test drive, and neither held any interest for me.
I called Honda Corporate tonight and left a message for the rep assigned to my case. Meanwhile my car sits idle at the dealership waiting for new front axles to arrive. They are on back order. The last time that happened was the differential and that took 12 days to come in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honda Corp rep just called this morning, she seemed pretty shocked what's going on with my Crosstour. She said now she needs to talk to the service manager about what's going on. She will call me back on Thursday this week, and hopefully have a game plan in place by then to decide the fate of my car. I made it clear I do not trust the vehicle anymore, and I do not want it back. I also made her aware of the 3 others I found who posted on line in various places who had identical problems with their Crosstour.
I also made it clear, that we have way exceeded Massachusetts law on lemons. Today my car has been off the road 20+ days since purchase less than 6 months ago.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good luck!
Thanks!! Keep fingers crossed! Honda corporate called the service manager this morning, and will call me back Thursday with their decision. Still no ETA on the new axles, still listed as indefinite backorder after 7 days. :(

I had an annoying situation this morning though, no ice scraper in the loaner, and woke up to 14 degrees and the loaner Accord Coupe was all frosted over.
My ice scraper is at the dealership in my Crosstour, so is my can of de-icer LOL.
So, I took apart the smart key, left the fob in the cup holder with the car running, defrosters blasting, locked it with the key part inside the smart key fob, and ran back inside lol
Looks like I'll be repeating this process until I either 1. break down and go buy another scraper, 2. get my Crosstour back, or 3 Trek 50 minutes to the dealership and retrieve mine from the trunk of the Crosstour lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
just bought out the lease on my sisters old 2012 ex-l w/navi.. rotors are warped on that too.. car has 30,000 miles on it.. i had one night i was fooling around with an older mustang on the highway - once the rotors heated up i couldnt believe how bad they were.. normal driving isnt bad so i'll just leave them until it gets worse.. honda upgraded the calipers on the crosstours to dual pistons - and ill assume the rotors just cant handle it since they werent upgraded..

two things - NOBODY cuts rotors anymore. it just doesn't make sense. aftermarkets are probably $40 a piece for new ones, and once rotors warp they will continue to warp once they get overheated again after they are cut.. the dealer is only cutting them cause its on their dime, and its cheaper for them to do since the mechanics get paid regardless. for the normal person after you factor in the cost of having them cut, and the time wasted doing it - your right at the cost of new ones. i wouldnt be at all surprised if some dealers cut still cut rotors just to talk up the "savings" they passed onto you - knowing youll just be back again..

secondly - that dealer is not loosing money - so i wouldnt listen to the "poor us" speech if thats what your hearing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
just bought out the lease on my sisters old 2012 ex-l w/navi.. rotors are warped on that too.. car has 30,000 miles on it.. i had one night i was fooling around with an older mustang on the highway - once the rotors heated up i couldnt believe how bad they were.. normal driving isnt bad so i'll just leave them until it gets worse.. honda upgraded the calipers on the crosstours to dual pistons - and ill assume the rotors just cant handle it since they werent upgraded..

two things - NOBODY cuts rotors anymore. it just doesn't make sense. aftermarkets are probably $40 a piece for new ones, and once rotors warp they will continue to warp once they get overheated again after they are cut.. the dealer is only cutting them cause its on their dime, and its cheaper for them to do since the mechanics get paid regardless. for the normal person after you factor in the cost of having them cut, and the time wasted doing it - your right at the cost of new ones. i wouldnt be at all surprised if some dealers cut still cut rotors just to talk up the "savings" they passed onto you - knowing youll just be back again..

secondly - that dealer is not loosing money - so i wouldnt listen to the "poor us" speech if thats what your hearing.
Nope, they are not doing any poor us speech.
I just know from my prior lemon law case with another Mfg, that the dealership is paid about 20 bucks an hour for warranty work, so if the head foreman who makes more than that is working on the car (which is the case in mine), they are losing money. They have not whined about that at all. I just think it's not fair personally. But I'm sure they get it back from Honda in other ways.
And I agree the rotors are probably garbage poor quality. But while she's under warranty there is no way they will put anything but Honda OEM's back on her.
IF she gets fixed and the vibration stops, I will invest the money in some good quality after markets for her.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So, Honda called me this morning, they are not willing to do anything yet. They want to see if the axles fix the problem. And the axles are in route to the dealership as of this afternoon! YAY finally!!

If that does not fix it, the only thing left to replace is the transmission.
They do not feel Honda will authorize that, in which case they feel Honda will cave in and help me get out of the car and into something else.
The new axles should be in the car by Tuesday at the latest. And then we will know if it still vibrates.

For tonight they took back the Accord coupe loaner I've been driving, and they let me drive a 2015 Crosstour off the lot to see what I think of the new one. WOW! I love it! Ride is smoother, handling tighter, but the stereo in the new ones suck compared to my 2011! In any event, I drove home with a big grin on my face, happy to be back in a crosstour even if she's not mine.
AND they are covering my next payment. I love this dealership, they really do take care of their customers.

Who knows, maybe just maybe, if the axles don't fix mine, they will work out something for me to buy a new one. ~fingers crossed~

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesterday I got the call I've been hoping for.
The dealership called and said the axles came in and my car was ready.
I Excitedly went to pick her up with fingers crossed. Hopped on the highway last night and she seems to be ok!!
Going for a little road trip around MA today to see how she does before I'm willing to call her cured for good.
After all the parts they've put in her, she's basically got a complete new drive train now!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Logic Tree

After they replaced your rear differential back in mid-September the car behaved itself for almost two months, with the original front axles still in place- something does not add up here.

If the problem was front axles then why did swapping the rear diff work at all? I'm reminded of those jokes about "How many monkeys does it take to..."

Be extremely hesitant to sign off on this latest fix. Which reminds me, I gotta go water my lemon tree now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After they replaced your rear differential back in mid-September the car behaved itself for almost two months, with the original front axles still in place- something does not add up here.

If the problem was front axles then why did swapping the rear diff work at all? I'm reminded of those jokes about "How many monkeys does it take to..."

Be extremely hesitant to sign off on this latest fix. Which reminds me, I gotta go water my lemon tree now.
I agree, but here's what they told me, last time the vibration could be felt though the entire car, doors windows seats front and back. and when they disconnected the rear drive shaft, it stopped, so they replaced that, did not help, rear axles did not help, replaced differential and it stopped.

This time it was only a vibration in the steering wheel, which they said means it was the front end. I just took her for a 70 mile ride and she does seem to be ok.
But like I said I'm going to give it at least a good week or so before I'll delcare her cured. I have 4 thousand miles left on my Honda certified warranty, and I have 35 thousand left on my extended warranty, so should this vibration return, I'm still covered.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put another 100+ miles on it since my last post. I went to the dealership to pick up stuff I left in the loaner car by accident. And on the way back, the vibration started again on the highway on hills. Every consecutive hill after it started, it got worse.

Now its almost as bad as it was the day I left it at the dealer a week ago.
I'm disappointed, but not going to get wound up about it. I know the dealership has my back and will go to bat for me. Just going to stay calm and see how this plays out with Honda.
There is nothing left to replace now but the transmission and engine. And I have serious doubts Honda will do that. Dealership felt if the front axles didn't fix her, Honda would be willing to get me out of the car and into something else, and they'll ship her to CA to dissect and find out what is wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sad Saga

Invoke the Lemon Law, m'am. I really dislike seeing customers getting played by multi-billion dollar corporations. Your safety and satisfaction are not a big priority to Honda it seems. That car should not be out on the road, period.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Invoke the Lemon Law, m'am. I really dislike seeing customers getting played by multi-billion dollar corporations. Your safety and satisfaction are not a big priority to Honda it seems. That car should not be out on the road, period.
If they don't offer a decent resolution for me, I'm going to have to find a lawyer. But the problem is I dont have the cash to rent a car, and I dont believe this one is safe to drive. If I hire a lawyer the dealership will have to back off and disassociate from me, (orders from Honda).
The dealership has offered to pay off my loan and let me walk away.
Which I have considered, except I'd literally be walking, no cash to put into another car. They have offered to pay it off and let me trade it for a pre owned Honda, but didn't like anything they had.
So I'll hold on and see what Honda says. Though like you said, I strongly suspect they dont give a rats ass.
I'm so kicking myself for trading my 1 year old Crosstour for this car.
My CRV was perfect, I just didn't like being in a lease, I was putting on too many miles, and I'd always loved a crosstour.
So when the opportunity came along, I jumped on it. I'm way over 20 days off the road now., 10 days this month, 12 in September, and 5 in July. All for this damn vibration.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts