Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2010 Crosstour 4WD. I drove it 8 to 12 inches of snow. It drove great but I never knew if I was in 4wd...ie... a light never came on. The question is should the light come on?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would say when it's not snowing your car is a front wheel drive. If there's snow then it goes into 4 wheel drive when needed on it's on. There's a computer that tells the car it's slippery. There's no light. It's not always in
4wd.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ECO deemed more important than 4WD

Yes, it would have been nice if the ECO light were replaced with one that comes on when 4WD is activated. I have been tempted to put a black dot over the ECO light as I really don't need to have it tell me when I back off the accelerator. This Green, feel-good acknowledgment movement is getting boring and excessive.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I feel the urge to clarify how our "4wd" system works:

You car is always in FWD mode.

When the front wheels spin/slip, a mechanical/fluid transfer case causes the rear wheels to engage. Essentially this transfer case includes drivetrain components for the front wheels and the back wheels. When the front wheels turn faster than the rear, indicating a loss of traction, the components interact mechanically in such a way that power is transferred to the rear.

Once the front wheels regain traction (start turning at the same rate as the rear), the rear wheels are disengaged.

This happens because of fluid dynamics and physics. There is nothing electronic about it. There is no way to engage the rear wheels manually.

This is the way it is with the 2010-2012.

Honda does have an electronic system that is in the new CRV. I can't recall if it's also been included in the 2013 CT or not.

The reason why there is no light on the dash is because they carputer ostensibly has no idea that the rear wheels are being powered.

There is a separate system in the CT that removes power to one or both of the front wheels if certain conditions exists. This is the VSC that can be turned off via the button on the dash. This system is electronic and computer controlled.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel the urge to clarify how our "4wd" system works:

You car is always in FWD mode.

When the front wheels spin/slip, a mechanical/fluid transfer case causes the rear wheels to engage. Essentially this transfer case includes drivetrain components for the front wheels and the back wheels. When the front wheels turn faster than the rear, indicating a loss of traction, the components interact mechanically in such a way that power is transferred to the rear.

Once the front wheels regain traction (start turning at the same rate as the rear), the rear wheels are disengaged.

This happens because of fluid dynamics and physics. There is nothing electronic about it. There is no way to engage the rear wheels manually.

This is the way it is with the 2010-2012.

Honda does have an electronic system that is in the new CRV. I can't recall if it's also been included in the 2013 CT or not.

The reason why there is no light on the dash is because they carputer ostensibly has no idea that the rear wheels are being powered.

There is a separate system in the CT that removes power to one or both of the front wheels if certain conditions exists. This is the VSC that can be turned off via the button on the dash. This system is electronic and computer controlled.
I agree! Very accurate answer.

Mert Cheney

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quick question since the VSC came up, i pushed the button there is nothing telling me that it is off??? Is there supposed to be a light telling me its off or no? Thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Quick question since the VSC came up, i pushed the button there is nothing telling me that it is off??? Is there supposed to be a light telling me its off or no? Thanks!
Push and hold it.

A light will come on which reads "VSC OFF" or something like that.

Push and hold it again to turn the system back on (and the light off).

You can even do it while driving. Sometimes I get bored and play around with it.

(But really, leave it on.)

;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Push and hold it.

A light will come on which reads "VSC OFF" or something like that.

Push and hold it again to turn the system back on (and the light off).

You can even do it while driving. Sometimes I get bored and play around with it.

(But really, leave it on.)

;)
Thanks Xaque! I figured it out this morning.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wanted to post this up quick....but a bit OT:

I work at a honda dealership -- I have the occaision to drive alot of different cars.
A few weeks ago, I borrowed an 11 4wd Pilot to move some larger things from my house. I made SURE I took one with GOOD tires, as I live in a rural area - and have a steep driveway.
Overnight we got about 6+ inches of snow.

While the Pilot performed admirably, even with the Knobby Goodyear Fortera Tires and extra weight and ground clearance, I STILL did not feel the confidence
of the Crosstour's traction and balance in the snowy conditions! :eek:

I was actually astonished.
My '12 crosstour with OEM Michelin Latitude Tires honestly performs better (imho) in light to moderate snow conditions.
Hard to quantify my feeling and impressions -- but suffice it to say, I was glad to get back into my car the next day!
We've had a good bit of snow this year, and I have had to go into work 20 miles away at the ass-crack of dawn to plow snow. Everytime, the CT just hauled-ass right thru the rural roads, that were 90% unplowed and snow-covered. Both packed and fresh powder: the CT cruised right thru both!

Good little car, this CT. :cool:

gr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts