Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, it's been rather hot in Houston, TX. So I have been leaving my windows cracked open and the moonroof set at the tilt-up position so as to keep the interior ventilated.

A few times, when I pressed the close button ... It proceeds to close, but then jumps back open again (Similar to the close protection feature where the auto-close window function will stop and open-up a little.) The moonroof will not close unless I simultaneously press the close button (inside) and place manual pressure on the glass (outside) for a successful close. Whenever this situation arises, I have tried an undetermined amount of times to close from tilt-up with the button only and in a manner of methods ... even reattempted after a short duration, and while the vehicle was in motion. I have also inspected the area to determine if debris has occluded the pathway. Even so, the problem is not persistent and its occurrence is more relevant to a pseudo-rare / intermittent nature. Rails and slides “appear” to be adequately lubricated, although, I do not I have the technical prowess to make that determination.

I will definitely be taking the car in to the dealership, hopeful of a resolution. My question is has anyone had a similar experience to this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too!

This just happened to me today!!! And Honda said it is not covered in the warranty. I've also read many reviews where people said their roof shattered!!!! And their dealership did nothing for them.
So i'm freaking out.
Plus the cost to repair.
*Did you have any luck at the dealership?
I'm going to try your method to get it closed and just never use it again. :mad:
And it just rained last night. Thank goodness it's not raining today.

Thanks for posting!

I have a 2010 Crosstour too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hopefully your are still under warranty, have you checked the gaps or noticed an alignment issue with the sunroof in relation to the roof line/opening? If you are out of warranty the sunroof is usually held onto the track via some screws and can be realigned or the rubber seal may have deformed causing the issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had this happen shortly after I purchased my new 2013 CT 9 months ago. As with the OP I pressed down on the Moonroof while pressing the close switch and the roof finally closed completely!

I did not use it for several weeks after that, but I couldn't stand not using it here with all the great weather we have been having in SoCal.

The moon-roof has not malfunctioned since the original incident.... :confused:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Recently, it's been rather hot in Houston, TX. So I have been leaving my windows cracked open and the moonroof set at the tilt-up position so as to keep the interior ventilated.

A few times, when I pressed the close button ... It proceeds to close, but then jumps back open again (Similar to the close protection feature where the auto-close window function will stop and open-up a little.) The moonroof will not close unless I simultaneously press the close button (inside) and place manual pressure on the glass (outside) for a successful close. Whenever this situation arises, I have tried an undetermined amount of times to close from tilt-up with the button only and in a manner of methods ... even reattempted after a short duration, and while the vehicle was in motion. I have also inspected the area to determine if debris has occluded the pathway. Even so, the problem is not persistent and its occurrence is more relevant to a pseudo-rare / intermittent nature. Rails and slides “appear” to be adequately lubricated, although, I do not I have the technical prowess to make that determination.

I will definitely be taking the car in to the dealership, hopeful of a resolution. My question is has anyone had a similar experience to this?
Being a ex BMW driver, Usually when the sunroof want close or stay shut, you have to hold the button either in or out for at least 10 to 15 seconds and then it will reset itself. This happened with my CT and I did that and it finally started working right again. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hmmm?

No activity from whytygr since posting this in 2011. Maybe they got it sussed.

Well, CTJed's reply here may help RedVelvet or others, so good reply.

I usually only use the flip-up mode on my sunroof. And it's been darn cold in the Houston area lately so maybe whytygr not using roof much this year.

On sunny days, I open mine flip-up or full open for the nice, cool air days we have been getting. so far roof works fine. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No activity from whytygr since posting this in 2011. Maybe they got it sussed.

Well, CTJed's reply here may help RedVelvet or others, so good reply.

I usually only use the flip-up mode on my sunroof. And it's been darn cold in the Houston area lately so maybe whytygr not using roof much this year.

On sunny days, I open mine flip-up or full open for the nice, cool air days we have been getting. so far roof works fine. :rolleyes:
I actually completely forgot about making this post. I also took it to the dealership [same day] to tell, and show them about this issue ...BUT.. The instant I showed them ... it worked just fine [go figure]. :confused: I just know there is a gremlin following me around, only for the sake of wreaking havoc, and revert everything to normal operation the instant a technician is presented with the problem. :mad:

Nonetheless, They took my car in and inspected the moonroof carefully, even cleaned it up a bit and added a little more lubrication to the tracks.

To this day, the problem persists. It just doesn't bother me as often and to the degree as its first occurrence. I found that the assistance it needs to close is very minimal ... to the point that I can help it close from the inside - merely by placing my fingernail on the front side metal retainer and apply forward pressure.

Here is my 'Cliff Clavin' hypothesis: :p
1. The motor sensor used to determine resistance is too tight of a tolerance.
2. The lubrication used has a preferred peak performance temperature.
a. If the temperature is too high, the viscosity increases and lubrication then runs at a deficiency and track friction triggers the motor sensor resistance.
b. If the temperature is too low, the viscosity decreases ... the lubrication thickness itself triggers the motor sensor resistance.
3. For all other instances - see above for gremlin theory.

I haven't tried CrosstourJed's recommendation of holding the button open/closed for 10-15 seconds, but it certainly seems plausible and is certainly worth trying out the next time it happens.

BTW.. Sorry for my late response. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
No Worries...

late reply better than none.

As as you can see here, posting any CT issues will always open dialogue with others that may be having similar issues. So that's always helpful.

And who know's one of those Clavin-isms just may apply here Normy. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts