Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I am lucky but the class action misfire codes on my 2011 Crosstour first appeared on the exactly 8th anniversary of delivery of the car. This was a Friday night so it was Monday before I could call dealer. Despite my argument that the car failed while the extended warranty was in affect they will not pay under the warranty extension because they say work was actually done after warranty expiration. So I am on the hook to pay for plugs and software update per service bulletin. What is experience with this issue. Does replacing the plugs and the software have a chance of fixing the issue or can I expect this to progress to replacing rings?If Honda is not going to stand behind repairs I just had done, it does not look good should the misfire reoccur and the answer is a ring job. Disappointed in Honda in how they are bailing on this.

·
Super Moderator
339 Posts
I had a misfire code once or maybe twice on my 2010 since I bought it new. Totally agree that the way Honda handled it from the start is lame!

Initially the dealership talked of major repair (oil ring replacement) and then came back with Honda's assessment and recommendation of replacing the plugs and performing a software update. I reluctantly went with that approach and have not had other check engine light issues of any sort.

My oil consumption is up a bit (some of which is to be expected with nearly 100k miles on it now)... generally add less than 1 qt when the oil life indicator is ~50%

In the grand scheme of things, plug replacement and software update is not too bad. I'd recommend you go for it and if the misfires continue, go like a hornet at them to make it right.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
From my experience, they follow a flow chart. First thing is to identify the problem. Then they start with software upgrade and then plugs. If this doesn't solve the problem then they keep going down the flow chart. Likely then rings. This doesn't mean that the software upgrade and/or plugs won't fix the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a misfire code once or maybe twice on my 2010 since I bought it new. Totally agree that the way Honda handled it from the start is lame!

Initially the dealership talked of major repair (oil ring replacement) and then came back with Honda's assessment and recommendation of replacing the plugs and performing a software update. I reluctantly went with that approach and have not had other check engine light issues of any sort.

My oil consumption is up a bit (some of which is to be expected with nearly 100k miles on it now)... generally add less than 1 qt when the oil life indicator is ~50%

In the grand scheme of things, plug replacement and software update is not too bad. I'd recommend you go for it and if the misfires continue, go like a hornet at them to make it right.

Good to know that that it fixed your problems. It appears to have fixed mine for now. I was concerned that plugs and software was a bandaid to a problem that ultimately leads to an expensive tear down that at this point is not covered by warranty extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From my experience, they follow a flow chart. First thing is to identify the problem. Then they start with software upgrade and then plugs. If this doesn't solve the problem then they keep going down the flow chart. Likely then rings. This doesn't mean that the software upgrade and/or plugs won't fix the problem.

It appears to have fixed my problems for now. Hope it holds to just the plugs and software. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts

As I mentioned in another thread I had this problem with my 2011 about a year before the eighth anniversary and they did "re-ring" the engine.

I also had the Honda Care extended warranty I bought as this was a Certified vehicle but was told it was a factory warranty for all engines of this type for multiple years and models. I later found out about the class action lawsuit and settlement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problems. When we hit 110K had to the rings. I argued back and forth with the dealer and they did the job for $450 total out of pocket with a free loaner for 9 days. No complaints since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2012 Honda Crosstour 5 years ago and had engine misfires about 2 years later. Took it to the dealership and they said that Honda was gonna cover it, replaced pistons and whatever else. Anyhow my car was stolen from the dealership the day before I was to pick it up. I ended up buying another 2012 CT, it’s been good but started misfiring a couple of months ago, ended up needing the same repair but this time they said it wasn’t covered by Honda. What’s the deal? Cover on one car but not this one. I also had purchased an extended warranty from the dealer that I purchased it from, which wasn’t a Honda dealer. The dealership won’t honor my warranty and said I’d have to pay for it and seek reimbursement from the warranty company myself. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
339 Posts
I purchased a 2012 Honda Crosstour 5 years ago and had engine misfires about 2 years later. Took it to the dealership and they said that Honda was gonna cover it, replaced pistons and whatever else. Anyhow my car was stolen from the dealership the day before I was to pick it up. I ended up buying another 2012 CT, it’s been good but started misfiring a couple of months ago, ended up needing the same repair but this time they said it wasn’t covered by Honda. What’s the deal? Cover on one car but not this one. I also had purchased an extended warranty from the dealer that I purchased it from, which wasn’t a Honda dealer. The dealership won’t honor my warranty and said I’d have to pay for it and seek reimbursement from the warranty company myself. Any suggestions?
Did the Honda dealership provide an explanation as to why the same issue would not be covered by the manufacturer this time?

I suspect their position may be based on a 7/8-year or 100k mile limitation that you may be able to get covered (to some extent at least) by contacting Honda directly and having them coordinate with the Honda dealer.

The dealer will probably have to run some tests but I'd ask Honda directly about it first and see what they recommend as a course of action.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not saying to not pursue a Honda paid for repair, but before you go out of pocket, You may try what worked for me. Insure all the maintenance is up to date.
Clean Air Filter
Clean MAF
Air intake tube leak free
Clean/New spark plugs
O2 sensors functioning
New PCV
Clean EGR valve / passages
87 Top Tier fuel only
And the most important of all...,
Disable the VCM
With the engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time, all my misfire codes and emission codes are gone. My CT has 245k miles on it with no end in sight. We do not baby this vehicle. It is a mix of street driving and 75mph highway speeds, logging 30k miles a year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts