Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

First I guess I'm one of the "strange" ones....love the CT;) Liked it first time I saw it in Motor Trend.

Time to let the old GMC Yukon go...mostly gas prices, it's killing me. Even just being the "weekend car". Found an 2010 CT EX-L AWD with 25K at a local Honda store. Price is very good IMHO, $22K range.

Went down last Saturday for a test drive. I loved it, what a car. I've driven nothing but GM products for about 30 years, before that VW. Even had a Corvair Corsa turbo, a "65. Which I wish was still in the driveway. It's dificult to expalin, but I could feel the quality of the car. I also wonder if the people that wrote some of the reviews I've read were driving the same car:rolleyes:

Now the bad part. My wife loves the car also. But when she drove it, she didn't care for the rear visibility. Keep in mind, we are both in our 60's. She is a very "nervous" driver, for lack of a better word. She drives a 96 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe we bought new. She won't drive the Yukon unless she really has to, or even my old 95 Chevy short box PU and then you would think it was a Mack tandem dump truck:) I'm a retired truck/heavy equipment mechanic, so to me there was no big issues, no deal breakers. Believe me I've driven worse. I didn't like that the mirror tilted down when I backed up. I asked the sales person about it and got a blank look. I found out here that with the mirror adjust selector in the center they won't tilt. No nav on this one so no rear camera. Not sure about this sales person really. He asked if the camera helped. I told him the camera only came with the Nav option in 2010. Oh, he said. He just gave me the keys to the CT. Never explained anything, showed me any features, nothing. I mean I like low pressure, but come on. This is large well know and very highly rated dealer too. On the other hand I stopped by a new Kia store on a whim one Saturday and the guy wouldn't shut up:D

So we went with plan B, Acura TSX wagon. Took a ride to the Acura store in the same town. There happened to be a TSX wagon out front and it was open. I figured I'd sit in it, compare it the CT first. Not.....I just about got in it. I had to about fold myself up, knee hit the steering wheel. I think the door is smaller or ???? I know the wagon is basically a Euro Accord. I had a feeling the cabin on the wagon was smaller when we looked at both of them one Sunday.

So I'm thinking now a 2012 with the rear camera. The lease deals I've seen so far are amazing. I guess due to the low sales of the CT and Honda in general.
So now would be the time. I'll go to the same dealer and take a 2012 out. Find an empty parking lot and let her drive around there. She is agreeable to that, because she really does like the car that much.

The only thing I would like to see are larger mirrors, which I see Honda has addressed on the 2013 concept. So it would be possible I imagine when that's released to just swap them out....maybe?

Let you all know how it goes. I was hoping this weekend, but it's calling for rain. Which we really need here. Snowless winter so things are very dry, we need a good soaking rain.

Any thoughts? Think the rear camera and some tutoring from the Old Man will help?

Regards
Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Jim -
Welcome to the forum.
It seems like the rear visability concern is just caused from being used to driving sedans which have the window behind the rear seat and before the trunk. In the Crosstour obviously it is all of the way in the back and is sloping which takes a little getting used to, but isn't bad at all.
I also drove the 2010 first and loved it...but ended up with the 2012 with navigation. Yeah...the lease rates are fantastic, so if she really didn't like it...then you can promise her a new Crosstour in three years ;-) You'll absolutely love the rear view camera and will use it a lot. In fact, I rented four cars in Florida two weeks ago, and each time I instinctively looked for the screen when I shifted to reverse.
As you know, the Crosstour is a fantastic machine, and you won't regret your purchase/lease at all.
Let us know how the test drive went, and post photos of the new car!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Upstate NY? We're in southern Saratoga County, Waterford...

Just took my 2012 CT on its first significant drive up to the High Peaks region last weekend for an early camping trip. LOVED parallel parking it on Main St in Lake Placid due to that backup camera. My last two SUV's, a midsize and a smaller, didn't have that and my wife usually had to hop out to tell me where the hell the back of the car was.

I don't usually use the side mirror tilt down thing, but when parking in LP it did also come in handy.

Right after that trip, I had to go down to lower Westchester County on Tuesday and Burlington, Vt, yesterday. About 1200 miles of largely highway driving all told, and ended up with an average of 25.1 mpg for the whole thing. Very pleased.

I'm 60 as well, close enough to your age. Love the CT as a great cross between the utility of the larger stuff with the 4WD and the feel of a pretty snappy car on the mountain roads around Lake Placid. This is the best car I've had in a long time. If you're in the Capital region, drop a line and stop by for a look if you like.

dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jim -
Welcome to the forum.
It seems like the rear visability concern is just caused from being used to driving sedans which have the window behind the rear seat and before the trunk. In the Crosstour obviously it is all of the way in the back and is sloping which takes a little getting used to, but isn't bad at all.
I also drove the 2010 first and loved it...but ended up with the 2012 with navigation. Yeah...the lease rates are fantastic, so if she really didn't like it...then you can promise her a new Crosstour in three years ;-) You'll absolutely love the rear view camera and will use it a lot. In fact, I rented four cars in Florida two weeks ago, and each time I instinctively looked for the screen when I shifted to reverse.
As you know, the Crosstour is a fantastic machine, and you won't regret your purchase/lease at all.
Let us know how the test drive went, and post photos of the new car!
I think you hit it. She said to her it was like being in a rocket ship, it just had windows. The Olds is just about all glass.

You gave me an idea...rent one for a weekend. That would give her a chance to really get used to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Upstate NY? We're in southern Saratoga County, Waterford...

Just took my 2012 CT on its first significant drive up to the High Peaks region last weekend for an early camping trip. LOVED parallel parking it on Main St in Lake Placid due to that backup camera. My last two SUV's, a midsize and a smaller, didn't have that and my wife usually had to hop out to tell me where the hell the back of the car was.

I don't usually use the side mirror tilt down thing, but when parking in LP it did also come in handy.

Right after that trip, I had to go down to lower Westchester County on Tuesday and Burlington, Vt, yesterday. About 1200 miles of largely highway driving all told, and ended up with an average of 25.1 mpg for the whole thing. Very pleased.

I'm 60 as well, close enough to your age. Love the CT as a great cross between the utility of the larger stuff with the 4WD and the feel of a pretty snappy car on the mountain roads around Lake Placid. This is the best car I've had in a long time. If you're in the Capital region, drop a line and stop by for a look if you like.

dave
We're down in Greene County, Town of Catskill.

I thought about going back to a sedan. But I don't want to give up the hatch/tailgate. I like having 4WD, I don't want a Subaru. So to me it's just what I want.

Thanks for the offer. Let me see how the next test drive goes. I'd like to go today. But the Grand Kids are here until later in the day. They're calling for rain rest of the weekend, into next week. So we'll probably go down next weekend. I'm using Friendly down in Poughkeepsie vs Kingston Honda. Did you use Lia, how were they? Friendly is an easy drive for me and they don't seem pushy at all, just the opposite. I take 23 over to the Taconic, then down to 44, about an hour, not alot of traffic.

Jim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Friendly Honda's a good outfit. Used to get all our Hondas there before we moved up here in 2005. Rick Studler and Ron Alexander have been around forever and know what they're talking about.

We are now Saratoga Honda people for the same reason you note. Nice place, they take good care of us, and it's nice to have both our cars through the same dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friendly Honda's a good outfit. Used to get all our Hondas there before we moved up here in 2005. Rick Studler and Ron Alexander have been around forever and know what they're talking about.

We are now Saratoga Honda people for the same reason you note. Nice place, they take good care of us, and it's nice to have both our cars through the same dealership.
That was the impression I got. I remember going down there in the 70's to look at a Civic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts