Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Maintenance Minder Oil Change

44K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  jviss 
#1 ·
Well, I'm getting close to the 15% mark for which Honda suggests the oil be changed according to the Maintenance Minder System.
I am well over 8000 Kilometers and haven't had any issues but, I can't help but wonder if this distance (and time for that matter, I bought the CT in January) are the best thing for longevity of the engine.
I have always serviced my other vehicles (other than the Honda's) at 5000 K or 3 months, with synthetic oil (Mobil 1 mostly) and just can't help wondering why Honda suggests different.
Maybe I'm old school, but I just can't get past the idea that the oil change interval is way too long. My Dealer says not to worry and that doing anything differently will not be beneficial......
What do you guys/gals think is best?

Oh and by the way, who is paying for your first oil change?

#3 ·
My dealer was asked this at our "new owner orientation evening" and they said it's fine to just go by the MM....but don't let it go past 1 year before bringing it in....

Personally, I've felt that especially the first couple of oil changes it's important to keep within your comfort zone since the motor is new and tight, so there will be more initial wear that you want to clean out.....(I could be wrong in that though?)

#4 ·
Just done with 1st oil change w/ tire rotation.

Oil change is free but not the tire rotation. :confused:

anyway, I asked for the price for regular oil change. It's $78 + tax. little bit expensive. with this price, will you come back to dealer for regular oil change or go somewhere with cheaper prices?

#15 ·
Just done with 1st oil change w/ tire rotation.

Oil change is free but not the tire rotation. :confused:

anyway, I asked for the price for regular oil change. It's $78 + tax. little bit expensive. with this price, will you come back to dealer for regular oil change or go somewhere with cheaper prices?
Yep... the oil change should be somewhere around $30 or so. Anything significantly more and you are being had, assuming that you are in the US.

And as for the old way of changing the oil out every 3000-5000 miles or 3 months... engines have come a long way since then. Heck, my Mercedes had to be serviced only once per year or every 10,000 miles... no more, no less. I'm at almost 3000 miles and about 70%, so I expect to get close to 10,000 per oil change. Not at all worried about it. If something goes wrong, I will make sure Honda will cover it as I am following the instructions in the manual and paying attention to the oil life/service minder.

There is no need for this to be a "hot topic." There is no need to sweat it. Let the car tell you when it needs service, and until that happens, don't even bother worrying about it.
:confused: I thought the CT took standard oil and not Synthetic oil. My Wife's Car takes synthetic oil and her changes run about 70 bucks. So which is it Synthetic or Standard

#6 ·
Yep... the oil change should be somewhere around $30 or so. Anything significantly more and you are being had, assuming that you are in the US.

And as for the old way of changing the oil out every 3000-5000 miles or 3 months... engines have come a long way since then. Heck, my Mercedes had to be serviced only once per year or every 10,000 miles... no more, no less. I'm at almost 3000 miles and about 70%, so I expect to get close to 10,000 per oil change. Not at all worried about it. If something goes wrong, I will make sure Honda will cover it as I am following the instructions in the manual and paying attention to the oil life/service minder.

There is no need for this to be a "hot topic." There is no need to sweat it. Let the car tell you when it needs service, and until that happens, don't even bother worrying about it.

#7 · (Edited)
My guess is that if Honda even suspected the remote possibility that their recommended oil change intervals might result in engine damage THEY would have to pay for under warranty, they would opt for the minimum time or miles.

Engines are SOO much better than they used to be, due to better machining (CNC), better metals, better electronic engine controls, etc. that most of us think an engine with 100K miles has just moved from its teen years to adulthood!! Thirty years ago - OK, forty years ago, an engine with over 60K miles was running on luck!!

Also, if it were an issue, would we be using 0-10 wt. oil????? Go with the owner's manual!!

Around these parts, a full synthetic oil change for $30 is a bit of a bargain. I'll have to ask (axe?) my dealer.

#8 ·
Something to consider... Honda is first and foremost an engine company (that's their philosophy), so they should know a thing or two about service requirements for the engines in the Crosstour.

Somewhat related... if you haven't seen this yet, it's well worth checking out:

#9 ·
Something to consider... Honda is first and foremost an engine company (that's their philosophy), so they should know a thing or two about service requirements for the engines in the Crosstour.

Somewhat related... if you haven't seen this yet, it's well worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiaPNlR5A4I
Good Video...as long as the Crosstour is not one of their Failures :D

#16 ·
According to the owner's manual, the Crosstour takes 0W-20 motor oil, and the manual specifies that synthetic oil may be used if desired. In other words, the Crosstour takes conventional motor oil.

I just checked Gwinnett Place Honda's pricing (where I purchased my vehicle), and they charge:

- $24.00 for a synthetic blend oil change
- $38.00 for a full synthetic oil change

That's far less than $70, so for anyone paying much more than that, I might suggest shopping around for your next oil change.

#20 ·
According to the owner's manual, the Crosstour takes 0W-20 motor oil, and the manual specifies that synthetic oil may be used if desired. In other words, the Crosstour takes conventional motor oil.

I just checked Gwinnett Place Honda's pricing (where I purchased my vehicle), and they charge:

- $24.00 for a synthetic blend oil change
- $38.00 for a full synthetic oil change

That's far less than $70, so for anyone paying much more than that, I might suggest shopping around for your next oil change.
:cool: Did not want to pay 70 bucks for an oil change on 2 cars

#19 · (Edited)
Just today, I was at 4825 miles and 50% and just felt more comfortable getting it changed at that mileage, at least early on. We love our mechanic shop and I had forgotten to find oil to take with me - which I will do next time.

Anyway - labor $10, Oil $50 (10x5 quarts - synthetic), $4.38 tax (8.75 here:() so 64.38. Not sure where the filter charge is (I know they changed it) so it must be included in the oil charge. Plus I think we get dinged for some recycling charge here too.

The dealer has a disclaimer that they charge more for the CT but we go to the mechanic unless it's a warranty issue.

#22 ·
WoW! how did you manage to have 4800 miles with only 50% of oil life!?

I had 4300 miles and the MM showed the oil life had only 15% left. What exactly the factor of how the MM calculate the oil life!?

and in California, everything goes expensive. I know 70+ is unbelievable just to use 0W-20 oil. Even back to my previous turbocharged engine with 0W-40, it only took around $80. So I asked why the dealer charges $70+ for oil change, they said because of "new and better" 0w-20. :rolleyes: I will try another nearby dealer for next oil change to see which is cheaper.

#21 ·
Engine Oil Weight.

Just my O2 on engine oil weight, there will also be a Pro & Con. I've allways had good luck with Mobil One 5--20 dino oil with no oil consumption in my past 3 Honda's and following the MM. I did try 0-20 synthetic once in my 08 Accord (3.5L V/6) and did experience oil consumption in particular when driven hard and didn't see any jump in MPG. So iit was back to 5-20 with no problems. So my 1st oil change on the Crosstour after the breakin in it's Mobil 5-20 Dino for me and yes I've been through one winter were temps can hit 20 to 40 or more below 0.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mech...-chat/195005-word-about-0w-20-engine-oil.html

#24 ·
I hear you. I don't think I'll go more than 5k between oil changes altho Honda says you can no problem.
I like fresh oil -- good for engine longevity IMHO.

I personally think they're trying to make what oil we have go further for environmental concerns. I'll spend a little more and get fresh more often.

#27 ·
Just got the "B 1" maintenance minder wrench on a '10 Crosstour with 12k miles. Called the local Honda dealer for the cost of service......$127 for an oil change and tire rotation. Wow!:mad:
did that include brake service??

#29 ·
That would make sense for a (A-1) a B-1 in canada is $183.88 (oil change, full brake service with parking brake adj., tire rotation, top up all fluids, etc)

#30 ·
When I bought my Crosstour. They offered me an incentive to buy from them vs. any of the other dealerships.

The incentive was free carwash at the dealership as long as I own the car. Three years of free oil changes. It also came with an assortment coupon book for other services.

At first, I was thinking "big deal" :rolleyes: $20 bucks ... Until my first oil change, the service tech told me, "Hey, free oil change for three years! You just saved yourself about $70 bucks!" ... I was like, "WHAT!" :eek:

Now I'm REALLY happy I took advantage of that, though i'm sure I paid for it one way or another.

#31 ·
Thought I would resurrect this "Oil Thread" as I just had my first oil and Filter change on my 2013 Crosstour EX-L V6 at 5,638 miles. MM had been showing an A-1 at 5% for awhile.

Total cost of the service according to the Invoice was $48, but since it was the 1st oil change at the dealership I purchased the car from there was no charge to me.

My driving has been mostly city driving with one round trip from LA to Las Vegas and another from LA to Santa Barbara at constant highway speeds.

Wife and I will be heading to Lubbock Texas in March so I can give my Sister away at her wedding. She been widowed for close to 20 years and finally found a suitable soulmate, I'm so happy for her!

Should have close to another 3,000 miles on the CT by the time we get back home, maybe more as we're retired now and really don't have to get back home any sooner than we want to!! A few extra days in the City of Lost Wages or Laughlin sounds good too!!! :D

#32 ·
My car just got the A-1... and is now at 15%... It'll be like this for the next month as I don't put on enough miles.. I wish I could program it to wait until it comes up to 10% or 5%.

At any rate, I have a bunch of pre-paid oil-changes.. but I bought a K&N High Performance oil filter because I think that the Honda OEM oil filter is deficient in construction and quality.

I'm going in to get an oil change and I'm going to tell them to use my K&N and just hand over the HONDA OEM filter to me instead.

#35 ·
I'm going in to get an oil change and I'm going to tell them to use my K&N and just hand over the HONDA OEM filter to me instead.
Good luck handing them your K&N oil filter my friend. They will void your warranty in a heartbeat!! Most dealer won't install parts you provide for them at the service counter. Unless you know the service writer personally, I say you are pretty much better off swapping the filter yourself at home.
If you have non oem parts on your car, they will not work on your car at my local dealership. Especially warranty work like electrical issues, they will blame that you didn't use Honda specify light bulbs and thats why your car is acting this way.

#33 ·
I know that there seems to be a vast difference from dealer to dealer regarding the rates that are charged for routine service. My local dealer charges about $24 for an oil change with filter (using 0w20 synthetic blend oil) He offers a free car wash with the oil change. I regularly receive mailings from my dealer offering special deals on service and sometimes discounts on the purchase of accessories. The last one was an oil change for $19.95. The charge for a tire rotation is $15.95. I must admit that I chose this dealer to purchase my 2 CT's because of their service department.

#34 ·
I know that there seems to be a vast difference from dealer to dealer regarding the rates that are charged for routine service. My local dealer charges about $24 for an oil change with filter (using 0w20 synthetic blend oil) He offers a free car wash with the oil change. I regularly receive mailings from my dealer offering special deals on service and sometimes discounts on the purchase of accessories. The last one was an oil change for $19.95. The charge for a tire rotation is $15.95. I must admit that I chose this dealer to purchase my 2 CT's because of their service department.
I'm glad you have a decent dealer to do your work. I did the same, I bought my car from David McDavid Honda because of the service - but now that it's changed ownership to Big Star Honda - I'm less than impressed with thier service and moreover they charge MORE for parts than other Honda dealerships? :eek: Why? Shouldn't thier parts dept be more competitive?
Needless to say, I am looking for another service provider.

Oh yeah... and referencing my previous post:
The Lazy-Bug bit me this weekend, so I didn't wake up early enough to take the car to the dealer. I've noticed that my rear passenger brake is occasionally doing the grindy noise thing. =( I wish I had my own garage and tools to do this stuff myself.

I need to get out of this damned apartment!

Do y'all think it's possible to do rear brake work with only two parking spaces? Any recommendations? tips?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.