Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered something today that I did not realize.

I was filling up the tank and was planning on going into the station so while I was filling, I locked the doors. When I finished, I put the filler cap on and then tried to close the cover - it wouldn't close - after a couple of attempts, I looked to see what the issue was. There was a pin extended from the right side of the opening - and a corresponding hole in a protrusion on the inside of the cover. I could push the pin back by hand and then the cover closed and latched.

Curious, I unlocked and relocked the car - sure enough, the cover would not unlatch. Unlocking the car retracted the "dead bolt" and the cover would unlatch.

I don't remember reading about this feature in the owners manual - but I read it fairly quickly and did not look for it after I discovered this.

mmay

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Actually, the gas tank cover works as you describe. It is in the manual, although I can't tell you what page right at the moment.

When the car is unlocked, the cover can be pressed on and it will pop open. When the car is locked, the cover won't open. Never try to force the cover closed if you locked the car, as it can damage it.

I will end this with a warning. Make sure your car is locked before you go through a brushless car wash. The force of the sprays can open the gas cover, and possibly twist it. I got lucky on this really warm day, when I was in queue for the car wash. I couldn't quite reach the numbers to punch in, so unlocked the car, to open the door, and didn't think anymore about it when I shut the door, and put the windows up.

I drove out of the car wash and looked at my side mirror, and saw the cover open.

Cheers,
DM

·
Registered
621 Posts
As said, it is indeed in the owner's manual...

Also in the manual is the procedure for unlocking the gas cap if the locking mechanism malfunctions. (It involves going into the cargo area and removing a small cap.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1 for making sure the gas door is locked before going through a car wash. The pressure of the brushes or water will open it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing happened to me going through a car wash.. Luckily the fuel lid only opened up during the final blow-off cycle.. No damage done but it did made me think twice !

·
Registered
668 Posts
I will end this with a warning. Make sure your car is locked before you go through a brushless car wash. The force of the sprays can open the gas cover, and possibly twist it. I got lucky on this really warm day, when I was in queue for the car wash. I couldn't quite reach the numbers to punch in, so unlocked the car, to open the door, and didn't think anymore about it when I shut the door, and put the windows up.
Cheers,
DM
Dog gone good information, DrgnMastr Never thought of that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel cap lock and ethanol vs real gas

I figured that the manual mentioned this and I didn't notice it until I experienced an unusual event.

Posting unexpected results on the Web helps others figure out their cars.

Along those lines, I continue to be extremely happy with my Crosstour - except for the POS navigation - but I fixed that - I put a Garmin Nuvi on my dash..

On a side note, I am in Iowa right now - where you can choose whether to support the corn farmers by purchasing "ethanol enhanced" fuel or all petroleum. My current tank is 100% all petroleum, vs the 85/15 mix legilaslated by my home statle - MN - and my reported fuel economy increased by 15% or more.

mmay

·
Registered
237 Posts
mmay - so your getting better fuel mileage without ethanol blended gas?

Wonder why that is? I'm sure there is some "scientific" explanation regarding combustability, etc, etc, blah blah blah... lol.. still would like to know the theory behind that if anyone knows?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Huh?

So far, my CT has pretty much settled on a reported mpg of around 23 - except that I just came back from a trip in Iowa - where I ALWAYS fill up with real gas. My tank of real gas showed a reported mpg of 28. In both cases, mostly 2 lane highway driving with hills and all.

Unfortunately, our legislators (many of who are now looking for new jobs) decided that the environment - and the farmers - were better off with ethanol in every gallon of gas sold in Minnesota - except for a grade of premium for Collector vehicles.

I remember seeing something that ethanol has about 60% of available energy compared to the same gallon of gasoline. I am chemistry stupid - luckily, my Mechanical Engineering curriculum only required 3 hours of Chemistry - once I limped through that, I was home free.

By the way, I had exactly the same experience in my '07 Accord Hybrid - 10 to 20% better mileage with 100% petroleum vs the 85/15 gas/ethanol blend.

mmay

·
Registered
622 Posts
That's interesting on the corn belt gas. I think every gas station on the East Coast has a sticker on the pump stating that up to 10% could be ethanol. If the blend is cheaper I assumed that the ethanol is always there. I've seen the 85/15 flex fuel stickers on vehicles but have never seen a gas pump offering 15%.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts