Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am the new owner of a 2013 EX-L. The car came with two key fobs: driver #1 and #2. They function fine with starting the car and automatically unlocking the doors when I put my hand on the door handles; however, the car does not respond to the buttons on the key fobs for locking and unlocking. The red led comes on when a button is pressed, but that's it. Replacing the battery in the key fob doesn't have any effect. I feel like I am missing something. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sounds like the FOB still needs further programming for the door lock/unlock function to also work, much like older Key type FOB's required.

I found instructions for older models of Honda's of course (Such as my 2003 Accord), but nothing on Keyless FOB programming for our vehicles other than the need for a dealer or Locksmith to set them properly...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's also what I've found. Thanks for replying though.

I didn't realize the issue until after the 100 mile drive home from where I bought the CT. Sigh. I'll take it to the local Honda sometime.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: The car's battery was slowly dying over the past week. Turns out it was the original Honda one from 2013. I replaced the car battery, and the keyfob batteries again. They keyfobs still did not work. . . until today. Now they are all working as normal.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future. It appears that a weak car battery has a detrimental effect on the keyfob performance. Note that even when RIGHT NEXT to the car, the keyfobs still will not work if the car battery is dying (at least in my case).

·
Registered
3 Posts
How dead/bad was your battery?

I’ve been having the same problem for about 6 months and just living with it... tested the battery (2016) with a multimeter and tested good.. and therefore figured it was the Kefob wireless transmitter, since there is a technical service bulletin for that going bad...

I found the part online for $217, but it involves reprogramming, which needs the software/plugin for the push to start vehicles so I figure I’m stuck paying the dealership the $580 for a new part/install/programming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the second reply:

I also get the smart key warning light indicator from time to time on the dash... did you experience this as well before replacing your battery?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geez. I apologize for not replying. I didn't realize I had any responses. The battery was very dead. Trouble starting the car. But I never had the key warning light on the dash.

This problem just reappeared last night. Exact same problem for both key fobs. This time, the battery is okay. I hope it isn't the transmitter issue you mentioned. Expensive :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts