Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the Forum with a very strange and intermittent problem starting the Crosstour. Every once in a while, even though my foot is firmly on the brake pedal and the car is solidly in Park, the car won't start. The power comes on - the fan blows, wipers wipe, lights in the instrument and navigation panels light up - but the starter doesn't kick in. No particular rhyme nor reason to the problem; sometimes first thing in the morning, sometimes after the car has been used to run start-and-stop errands. Doesn't happen every day, either. My dealer's repair shop seems baffled and so am I. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was done to correct it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi, new to the Forum with a very strange and intermittent problem starting the Crosstour. Every once in a while, even though my foot is firmly on the brake pedal and the car is solidly in Park, the car won't start. The power comes on - the fan blows, wipers wipe, lights in the instrument and navigation panels light up - but the starter doesn't kick in. No particular rhyme nor reason to the problem; sometimes first thing in the morning, sometimes after the car has been used to run start-and-stop errands. Doesn't happen every day, either. My dealer's repair shop seems baffled and so am I. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was done to correct it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

What year and model is your Crosstour? Push button start? Or key?

·
Registered
123 Posts
This happened to my car, too a few month ago. I put the key in, seatbelt chime is heard, light in instrument cluster come on, A/C blows, but when I turn the key nothing happens.

The issue is the wiring harness located at the base of the drivers side left foot rest. For what ever reason, the wiring harness comes loose (it the big fat wide white one) and the instrument cluster gets disconnected in such a way that the starter will fail to turn. Granted I have a 2010 w/o push button start, but the wiring harness and placement is similar.
Also, being that your issue is intermittent, I would first check the grounds on your car. Since your car is still under warranty, I would ask the dealer to check the grounds and wiring harness in the left drivers kick panel and trying wiggling it a bit to reproduce the symptoms.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Intermittent starter problem

Thanks Friedrice - it's a 2014 Crosstour with the push-button start. Since I last posted, my dealer managed to reproduce the problem in the shop and replaced the starter, thinking that would fix it. A week later, the problem reoccurred. The dealer is now talking with Honda Canada, where they seem to be aware of the problem and (I'm told) are working toward a fix.
Your wiring harness solution makes sense to me, given the intermittent nature of the problem (it hasn't reoccurred in the last two weeks), and the chance that a good bump could jiggle the harness back into its happy place. I'll get them to look at the grounds as well.
I'll post if either fix works, or if Honda comes up with something else.
Other than this annoying problem, it's a great car.

This happened to my car, too a few month ago. I put the key in, seatbelt chime is heard, light in instrument cluster come on, A/C blows, but when I turn the key nothing happens.

The issue is the wiring harness located at the base of the drivers side left foot rest. For what ever reason, the wiring harness comes loose (it the big fat wide white one) and the instrument cluster gets disconnected in such a way that the starter will fail to turn. Granted I have a 2010 w/o push button start, but the wiring harness and placement is similar.
Also, being that your issue is intermittent, I would first check the grounds on your car. Since your car is still under warranty, I would ask the dealer to check the grounds and wiring harness in the left drivers kick panel and trying wiggling it a bit to reproduce the symptoms.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update on problems starting

Well, we found out it's not the starter on my 2014 Crosstour. Dealer replaced it, and while the car behaved well for a week or so - which included a 1300 km road trip where I held my breath every time I started the car - it acted up again. Dash lights lit up, fans blew, wipers wiped, and the nasty grating noise from under the hood. Turned it off, tried again, started like a dream.
Dealer has discovered Honda is aware of the problem and is trying for a fix. So if this happens to you, let 'em know it's a Honda corporate problem.
Two other glitches that developed on that long road trip: cruise control wouldn't set from time to time, and sometimes the accelerator wouldn't respond when I touched the gas pedal.
Dealer found an error code that pointed to a problem with a switch in the brakes which affected both cruise control and acceleration. (If the system thinks you're touching the brakes, it won't let you accelerate, and won't engage cruise control.)
The offending switch has been replaced. The car is performing well as I wait for a fix on the starter problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I experienced this on my 2013 CT. After several visits to dealer, I was able to record failure on my phone. Honda found the issue on service bulletin having to do with rotating starter.
Service Bulletin 16-002 seemed to fix the issue, three years after.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Crosstour and started experiencing the intermittent starter problem at 40k. If I wait at least 10 seconds after trying to start the car and press hard on the starter button, it will usually start. But I notice that the problem is more persistent in colder weather. My mechanic, who only works on Hondas/Acuras, is puzzled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replaced Starter

I have a 2013 V6. I was having problems with push button start which started off very infrequently and then gradually got worse. Would sometimes start on first push and sometimes would take a dozen or so. On worst couple of times it took pushing button for 10 minutes. I had it at dealership for a recall on the airbag and told them, and of course it started for them with no problem. I couldn't find anything definitive and finally had a mechanic friend change out the starter and it's been starting on one push for about 6 months now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Honda Crosstour that I absolutely LOVE. But I have the same starter issues as @Frito. Sometimes it would start with no problems...other times it would take 10+ times of pushing the button with grinding noises before it might finally start (frustrating and embarrassing). 2 months ago I spent almost $800 to have it replaced. Now it's already starting to act up again. I am completely outraged that Honda knows about this issue but does nothing about it. There have been class action lawsuits filed and still no broad-ranging solutions. How can they get away with not fixing a problem? I've been told that they don't consider it a "safety issue" because it won't cause an accident. I really can't afford to pay $800 every couple of months to get this fixed. Ugh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts