Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Did we have any CT owners caught in the Hurricane Irene storm and if so, how well did the CT hold up:confused:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Have family in Rhode Island, mostly a rain event there, trees down causing electric outages.

I know we have lots of East Coast people, hope you folks are all safe and came away with minimal damage.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I saw pictures of quite a bit of damage from flash floods, but it didn't seem like there was very much wind damage. Saw a video of a bunch of genius nation guardsmen driving their trucks underwater until they became buoyant because "they wanted to try it."

Irene wasn't a real hurricane, and even then, they only got the west side of it. Come down here and see the east side of a Cat 4 or 5. That's REALLY fun. You spend the 3 hours it takes for the eye to pass to bust out the chainsaws and get a head start on chopping up the trees that fell and yanking branches out of neighbor's roofs to patch the holes until the bad side comes through.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Some people in our area were without power for over 12 hours (not us fortunately). My dad lives about 40 miles northeast of me. The hurricane destroyed trees on his property. It completely shattered a mimosa tree that did some damage to his truck.

We didn't try to drive our CT and it was protected from the storm so nothing to report on that front.

I know hurricanes can be a hell of a lot worse, but that doesn't mean Irene wasn't a hurricane. People have died and as of last night, there were still people without power. I am just glad it was only Category 1 by the time it hit the mid-Atlantic and not a Category 3 that was originally feared.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I definately sympathize with those on the east coast. In the Navy I was stationed out in Guam and went through 7 Super-Typhoons (pacific version of a Hurricane), I definately do not miss them at all!

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Dodged a bullet in the DC area... no major damage around where I live. I was out driving Saturday night (went to a party ~35 miles from home) at the height of it without any problems and very few people on the roads.

·
Registered
621 Posts
We got slammed where I am.

Up here in Franklin County Massachusetts we had people trapped in vehicles being washed away, houses overrun by water, evacuations of hundreds of people by boat, main roads closed because of mud slides, and close calls of failure of multiple dams...

Some rivers that normally flow around 2,000cfs were running 60,000cfs and above. Some of the reservoirs (with earthen dams) had to go into "emergency" and released even more water, in some cases an additional 38,000cfs...

Most of our roads are back open now, although the major interstate through my town is still closed in the south bound lanes because the water and debris moved a bridge off it's foundation.

To give you an idea, here is what the "Bridge of Flowers" in Shelburne Falls MA normally looks like:

And here is what it looked like that day:

But we only got it a fraction as bad as Vermont did. Today there are still places completely isolated and requiring helicopters to get supplies in.

I was at work for the entirety of the storm, but afterwards I surveyed some of the damage with the Crosstour and she faired fine. Was able to get over the mud and silt covered roads just fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Up here in Franklin County Massachusetts we had people trapped in vehicles being washed away, houses overrun by water, evacuations of hundreds of people by boat, main roads closed because of mud slides, and close calls of failure of multiple dams...

Some rivers that normally flow around 2,000cfs were running 60,000cfs and above. Some of the reservoirs (with earthen dams) had to go into "emergency" and released even more water, in some cases an additional 38,000cfs...

Most of our roads are back open now, although the major interstate through my town is still closed in the south bound lanes because the water and debris moved a bridge off it's foundation.

To give you an idea, here is what the "Bridge of Flowers" in Shelburne Falls MA normally looks like:

But we only got it a fraction as bad as Vermont did. Today there are still places completely isolated and requiring helicopters to get supplies in.

I was at work for the entirety of the storm, but afterwards I surveyed some of the damage with the Crosstour and she faired fine. Was able to get over the mud and silt covered roads just fine.
Wow!!!! Great before and after pictures. My prayers are with all of you over on the East Coast. Hope everything gets back to normal very soon. Take care.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Wow, know that bridge well, make a point to pass over it anytime we are in western Mass. Used to go to a ski area about 20 miles west of there years ago.

Glad you guys fared ok, and yrs, Vermont is really catching hell.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wow, know that bridge well, make a point to pass over it anytime we are in western Mass. Used to go to a ski area about 20 miles west of there years ago.

Glad you guys fared ok, and yrs, Vermont is really catching hell.
Berkshire East is still there! The white water companies along the river got flooded and a lot of their equipment washed away.

Route 2 west between Charlemont and Savoy is completely destroyed. Half of it is now the river and the half is now the mountain side.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
those are crazy pictures i hope you and your family are ok that is some crazy water going threw there!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I saw pictures of quite a bit of damage from flash floods, but it didn't seem like there was very much wind damage. Saw a video of a bunch of genius nation guardsmen driving their trucks underwater until they became buoyant because "they wanted to try it."

Irene wasn't a real hurricane, and even then, they only got the west side of it. Come down here and see the east side of a Cat 4 or 5. That's REALLY fun. You spend the 3 hours it takes for the eye to pass to bust out the chainsaws and get a head start on chopping up the trees that fell and yanking branches out of neighbor's roofs to patch the holes until the bad side comes through.
I noticed that your area was hit with TS Lee. I'll be honest.. I was hoping Lee would have come to Houston instead... We really need that water!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts