Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone points to the VCM as the culprit but never explains how cylinder deactivation leads to ring misalignment and oil blow-by. I'm genuinely curious as to what happens. I've been through this and have a new motor. I'm not sold on the vcm tuner or svcm being anywhere near a good idea, especially in my climate, but I'll take any info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's pretty detailed write ups on the VCM. Basically the valves don't open and close, causing no vacuum in the cylinders. Rings don't get the proper oiling they should due to it, and eventually ruin themselves and the cylinder sidewalls.

Eco/VCM doesn't engage until engine is running temp. SVCM tricks the ECU sending a signal that the engine is just under running temp, disabling the eco. ( With failsafes of sending correct temp reading if the engine does actually overheat.) All cylinders stay active and get the proper oiling.

There's been countless people having the VCM issue and it is even been TSBed.

My opinion an svcm is a good option until can get a ktuner to disable VCM itself from tuning. Which is the route I'm going 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many times it's bad oil maintenance, following maintenance minder, using 0/20 full synthetic, and being careful to try to reduce short trips in cold weather especially. The problem starts with unburned fuel that doesn't burn or evaporate in the deactivated cylinder. This contaminates the oil, eventually creating more blowby in the crankcase. Eventually the oil rings get stuck with carbon and this causes compression to fail and the rings start leaving oil on the cylinder instead of being controlled and sealed by the rings. This cascade is much better described if you go to YouTube and watch videos and search for VCM you can see how they are supposed to work. The key is to keep proper oil maintenance. Try to at least get your engine up to normal temperature for a while in cold weather. Keep your PCV system spotless and add a oil catch can for an added precaution. I have one on my 13 Earthdream and it usually catches about a 50 ml in between changes. It catches more when it's cold I've noticed. I'm at about 120k miles now with hardly any oil consumption between 7.5-8.5k intervals. I recently purchased a good camera I will be able to examine the valves for carbon and the cylinders for any ware issues when I get around to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts