Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you adjust the handbrake/e-brake on the CT? Does the CT have a set of rear shoes which can be adjusted by removing the wheels and removing the rubber plug on the hub, situated between 2 wheel nuts?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adjust handbrake

there should be two 10mm nuts on threaded ends of the two cables that control the hand/park brake cable tension. You will need to remove enough interior trim to access these nuts. One is to lock down both and the lower is for actual adjusting. Reinstall the trim when you are satisfied that the handle operates where you want and that the cable fully releases when the handle is down. Make sure that you san roll the vehicle with little or no effort when the park brake is released. I set mine to between 1/3 and 1/2 of handle travel. Hope this helps, Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there should be two 10mm nuts on threaded ends of the two cables that control the hand/park brake cable tension. You will need to remove enough interior trim to access these nuts. One is to lock down both and the lower is for actual adjusting. Reinstall the trim when you are satisfied that the handle operates where you want and that the cable fully releases when the handle is down. Make sure that you san roll the vehicle with little or no effort when the park brake is released. I set mine to between 1/3 and 1/2 of handle travel. Hope this helps, Steve
I thought the adjustment done inside the cabin under the arm rest was to be done after you deal with the one at the rear wheels, more of a final adjustment.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Want to do it by the book?

There are two types of adjustment for our CT's Parking Brake, which are Minor and Major.

First off, remember that the factory setting for Parking Brake engagement is 7 to 9 clicks with 44 pounds of upward (pulling) force at the handle.

A proper Minor Adjustment involves raising the rear of the vehicle, fully releasing the parking brake and removing the center console rear trim. This is the small panel that faces rear occupants and contains the rear A/C vents. There are seven (7) clips that will detach when the panel is pried outward toward the rear of the vehicle. With that panel off, you will see the cable and adjusting nut in the center console. Loosen the adjusting nut, but don't remove it. Pull the parking brake up one click and leave it there. Tighten the adjusting nut until the parking brakes drag SLIGHTLY when the rear wheels are turned. Release the Parking Brake fully and ensure there is no drag on the wheels. Readjust if necessary and reinstall the center console rear trim.

This is all you have to do so long as you are able to engage the Parking Brake to factory settings as indicated above. If this doesn't happen, you have to conduct a Major Adjustment, which is as follows...

A proper Major Adjustment involves raising the rear of the vehicle, fully releasing the parking brake and removing the center console rear trim. With that panel off, you will see the cable and adjusting nut in the center console. Loosen the adjusting nut and leave it loose. Remove the rear wheels. For those of you who didn't know, the rear brakes are both shoed and padded. Remove the access plug in the rotor/shoe. It will most likely be removed with a flathead driver. Use a little flashlight and find the ratchet teeth. Turn the teeth until the shoes lock against the drum. Then back the adjuster 8 (eight) clicks. Do the same to the other side. After ensuring the mating surfaces between the disc/drum and the wheel are clean, reinstall the wheels and conduct the Minor Adjustment as described above.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Jay1622 – Thanks for jumping in and helping. I was going to respond to this as I had seen his question on the board for a few days without an answer. Great response! Kudos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts