Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just leased a 2012 Crosstour, polished metal - love it. My wife and I have kayaks, and we'd like to transport them with the Crosstour.

I just thought I'd check with forum members to see if anyone had an opinion as to which roof rack looks/functions better with the Crosstour. I've only seen pictures of the Honda roof rack on Honda's website. It looks like the crossbars sit a bit too high on the Honda roof rack. I'm considering a Thule roof rack (I like the metallic crossbar look), but I've never seen one on a Crosstour. Does anyone have a Thule rack on their Crosstour that can share pictures? I think that both are probably equally functional, but if anyone has any input on functionality, I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but...

I went with the Honda OEM roof rack because it mounts by screwing directly into the roof/frame, whereas the Thule rack has to "clamp" down onto the roof. Not that the thule rack is thus inferior, but the OEM solution just sits better with me.

Regarding the hight of the rack. I too was initially turned off with how high the OEM bars are, but when the sunroof is up in the "vent" position, it becomes clear why the crossbars are where they are. (and they are about as low as they can be.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
For me that's simple... The Thule.

It's a quality product that with/without attachments, you'll be able to put on different cars. Besides, you said you leased the CT, right? That time will come and go quickly. You will have spent the money on something that will go to the next owner. Trust me... you won't see a dime of that if you trade it in early. Also, as Xaque said, which is a very important point, it is a permanent installation. There's no removing it even if you choose to lease/purchase an identical Accord or CT in the future. Hope this helps.

Jay

·
Registered
621 Posts
For me that's simple... The Thule.

It's a quality product that with/without attachments, you'll be able to put on different cars. Besides, you said you leased the CT, right? That time will come and go quickly. You will have spent the money on something that will go to the next owner. Trust me... you won't see a dime of that if you trade it in early. Also, as Xaque said, which is a very important point, it is a permanent installation. There's no removing it even if you choose to lease/purchase an identical Accord or CT in the future. Hope this helps.

Jay
Very excellent points Jay, all around.

I do want to say that the OEM luggage racks actually aren't "permanent." In fact, they come with plugs to cover the screw holes when the rack is removed.

But as you said, unless you get another CT I doubt one would be able to reuse the OEM rack on another vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OEM vs Thule

Hi folks,

I just leased a 2012 Crosstour, polished metal - love it. My wife and I have kayaks, and we'd like to transport them with the Crosstour.

I just thought I'd check with forum members to see if anyone had an opinion as to which roof rack looks/functions better with the Crosstour. I've only seen pictures of the Honda roof rack on Honda's website. It looks like the crossbars sit a bit too high on the Honda roof rack. I'm considering a Thule roof rack (I like the metallic crossbar look), but I've never seen one on a Crosstour. Does anyone have a Thule rack on their Crosstour that can share pictures? I think that both are probably equally functional, but if anyone has any input on functionality, I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks in advance!
I am considering the same issue - I have a 2011 Crosstour and wondering if anyone has in fact used Thule Kayak attachments on the OEM racks, or in fact purchased and installed the Thule racks and can opine on appearance and utility (given the sunroof operation..)
Thanks,
BobG

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed the OEM rack (also made by Thule) about a month after I bought my CT and love it. I've only used mine to transport my mountain bikes, so I can't speak for any other uses for it. I also had to buy a universal Yakima bike mount for mine, since the OEM one requires the frame to be round and a max of 50mm in diameter. The OEM rack does install "permanently", but has 2 bolts per tower, and can be taken off in like 5 minutes. Then covered with plates that hide the installation points. I would think the decision on which to buy would primarily be decided by how much weight you are expecting to be putting on the roof rack first though. The OEM rack only supports up to 100lbs.

If you search these forums, you'll read about extra wind noise when installing the OEM one, however in my experience you'll get that with any bars, even the aero bars with or without the wind guard. I noticed no additional noise on mine, and minimal even with the sunroof open.

Personally I don't like the look of after-market roof racks too much. Most people around here tend not to get the bars sized right and they look ridiculous with the bars wider than the car itself lol.

Here's mine right after installing the rack:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wish my sunroof had the vent option... The 2010 only has full open mode... I almost bout the Thule system but the location I went to didn't have the right mounts needed. So I went cheap and went to Wal-Mart for the Reese Universal Rack... It did the job needed but eventually I will be getting a Thule as well... When I do I'll be getting both mounts for my CT and Pacifica.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wish my sunroof had the vent option... The 2010 only has full open mode... I almost bout the Thule system but the location I went to didn't have the right mounts needed. So I went cheap and went to Wal-Mart for the Reese Universal Rack... It did the job needed but eventually I will be getting a Thule as well... When I do I'll be getting both mounts for my CT and Pacifica.
I have a 2010 and I have multiple settings, vent, full open, half open, etc. Unless my definition of vent is different, you should have all the options?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Vent in my opinion is the rear part lifts up while the front stays down.
Yeah my 2010 definitely vents then. That's how I've been riding almost all summer, especially since I put the roof rack on.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok I'm an IDIOT!! I'm usually very diligent when I get new (to me) vehicles... As I was looking at old records on the car I saw the Moon Roof w/ Tilt... So I looked at the button that I never paid much attention too. Never thought to push the button instead of slide. So I RETRACT my previous statement 😭.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts