Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
I’ll have to say that the CT and Outback were the two vehicles my wife and I narrowed down our search to when looking for a new car. We drove both, researched both and really liked both. Yes, there were specific things on each car we liked and disliked more or less. The Subaru dealership had a very pet friendly showroom. They even had an Outback setup with a pet gate that they encouraged you to bring your pet down to try it out. Wow, my wife being a bigger pet lover than me fell for this hook line and sinker. Doesn’t your doggy look cute in the back of a new Outback?! The CT wasn’t really designed for a pet gate, but heck, I wasn’t planning on putting our (always shedding) dog in the back of my car and having dog hair blown around while trying to eat my McDonalds french fries. Nope, no dogs in my car (at least for now). I did like the storage area in the Subaru. It had more usable space. The CT was sort of confined in rear space. Yes, it had almost the same cubic footage, but because of the odd shape opening and fender wells, the usable space was not that usable. I also did not like the paddle shifters on the Outback. I’m used to having paddle shifters on true high performance cars. Putting them on an Outback to me was a joke. Anyway, I could go on all day about the difference, but need to get back to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Subaru wasn't on my radar screen when I bought the CT 4wd w/ Nav in 2010. A friend purchased one not long after I got the CT and I wasn't overly impressed in any particular area (the 4wd setup is its best feature by far).

My sister swore by Subaru's through 3 of them and now they own 3 Honda's. Main reason was maintenance in general and major/expensive repairs came about in the 70k mileage range on two of them. From my observation they get noisy as they age (same used to be true of VW's though I don't know if that is still the case). Subaru's definitely have a distinctive engine sound (I liken it to a twice muffled Impreza). I wanted quiet cruising in a non-wagon form factor for long road trips with the ability to go on ugly dirt/snowy roads and carry mountain bikes inside with the seats down or on a hitch rack in the rear.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It was the CT and the Outback that I came down to in my search as well.

And of course, I settled on the CT.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The coolest thing about the CT's design is the fastback design (IMHO). . .reminiscent of the CRX a little bit.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The coolest thing about the CT's design is the fastback design (IMHO). . .reminiscent of the CRX a little bit.
"Fastback station wagon" is how I've described the CT to people.

It's perfect for people like me... I don't want to drive a wagon around because I'm young, hip and single... but I don't want to drive a gas-hot SUV all the time... and a sedan is too small for me...

CT is perfect!

·
Registered
422 Posts
LOL, im young and hipp, probably the youngest to drive the CT.
i neve rlooked at the outback when shopping, but aafter i bought it, i noticed how similar they both looked

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like many of you, my decision has come down to the 3.6 Outback and EX-L CT.

I have a new baby on the way so need to step up from RSX-S (I love this car and may keep it for myself).

I have a list of mods ready for both vehicles, but I am having a helluva time trying to decide between the vehicles. I love the AWD and the room in the back of the Outback. The 2013 Outback is due out in the summer and will have the new eyesight system (which they may link with the Navi system - nonstarter for me). The CT is great looking car. I feel comfortable with Honda, and I have owned three of them. I am a little concerned that the 2013 CT will not be out when I need it - late August.

FWIW, also considered the Venza (very briefly) and the 2013 RDX.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I was researching for a new vehicle, I narrowed it down to 3, Honda Crosstour, Toyota Vienza, and the Nissan Murano. I liked all 3, but the Toyota had an ugly shifter box on the dash...it looked out of place, there was no Nissan dealer within 200kms of where I live and I am thinking, quite the trip for service and/repairs.

I was most impressed with the interior setup and looks of the CT, prefered the styles lines. I made the right decision for me and I am extremely happy.

On a care site review I had read that the CT was designed for "an over 50 empty nester who typically drives a SUV". Dam they nailed me right on... over 50, kids moved out long ago and I drove a SUV...

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find myself in a good position to respond to this thread. I purchased my first Subaru Outback in Jan. 2000, it proved to be an outstanding vehicle that in eight years I put 178,000 miles on. In 2007 I purchased a 2008 Outback and drove it approximately 90,000 miles before selling it a couple months ago so I could purchase my CT. During this time I used them to pull my Hobie 17 all over the southeast to attend regattas (frequently on & off ocean beaches), hall bicycles to many charity rides (including a 10 ft. long tandem), go on skiing trips that included spending three months in Summit County Colorado each winter since 2005 with constant snow conditions and temps down to -35f (as well as the road trip between Breckenridge and North Carolina each year). These Subaru's proved to be excellent and very reliable vehicles that (as you can see above) were tested in extreme conditions; I had very little trouble with them.

When I decided to purchase a new vehicle the current Subaru Outback was basically at the top of my list based on my prior experience with the brand. However, they had made some changes to the vehicle (making it taller and changing the luggage rack such that it did not work well with my Thule roof rack system) which I did not care for since it lowered the utiltiy of the vehicle to me. At 5'10" I needed a vehicle that I could easily get bicycles and kayaks on and off; additionally, while I am in Colorado skiing I carry my various skis in a top box to which I need easy access (every try to get skis in or out of a top box while balancing on a ladder, in ski boots, in a icy/snowy parking lot).

I test drove a Totota Venze and was considering it. However, there happened to be a Honda dealer next door to the Toyota dealer; since it was right there I though I might as well test the CT even though I was fairly certain I was not interested in it.

Needless to say the performance, comfort, and especially the cabin quiteness of the CT convinced me that it was the vehicle for me. It is not as tall as the Outback or the Venza and my Thule rack system works on it very well; so, the utility of carry the bikes, kayaks, skis, etc. was excellent. If this CT will perform well under the winter conditons of the Colorado Rockies (as I expect it to) I will be a very, very happy owner.

Our trips thus far have only been for several hundred miles at a time, the real test will occur in late December when I head out on my 1,800 mile trip to Colorado. But, if I could make this trip for the past seven years in a far nosier and less comfortable Outback, this winter should be great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I was researching for a new vehicle, I narrowed it down to 3, Honda Crosstour, Toyota Vienza, and the Nissan Murano. I liked all 3, but the Toyota had an ugly shifter box on the dash...it looked out of place, there was no Nissan dealer within 200kms of where I live and I am thinking, quite the trip for service and/repairs.

I was most impressed with the interior setup and looks of the CT, prefered the styles lines. I made the right decision for me and I am extremely happy.

On a care site review I had read that the CT was designed for "an over 50 empty nester who typically drives a SUV". Dam they nailed me right on... over 50, kids moved out long ago and I drove a SUV...

Cheers
I think Honda has there Demographic all wrong for this car. It should be geared towards Families and not Empty Nesters.

Room for the kids and there stuff for soccer, baseball, etc. Since purchasing mine I have yet to see the 50 plus person driving them around. Shoot there are three (including mine) at the daycare when I drop the kids off.

So to help Honda out, if it has not yet been done, we should take a survey to find the average age of Crosstour Owners.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think Honda has there Demographic all wrong for this car. It should be geared towards Families and not Empty Nesters.

Room for the kids and there stuff for soccer, baseball, etc. Since purchasing mine I have yet to see the 50 plus person driving them around. Shoot there are three (including mine) at the daycare when I drop the kids off.

So to help Honda out, if it has not yet been done, we should take a survey to find the average age of Crosstour Owners.
Lets see,
I haul bags of mulch, fertilizers and top soil in our CT. My wife is an avid gardener. We are empty nesters for many years. I am 79 years of age so I guess old geezers like myself love the CT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lets see,
I haul bags of mulch, fertilizers and top soil in our CT. My wife is an avid gardener. We are empty nesters for many years. I am 79 years of age so I guess old geezers like myself love the CT.

Well, at 67 I suppose I am outside those demographics also. We are definatley "empty nesters" (at least until there are some grandchildren). However, our new CT will be used for sports activity purposes; kayaking, bicycling, hiking, skiing, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts