Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting read. I guess I'm a sucker, because I wanted the AWD specifically. Yes winter tires can do the trick in most cases too, but AWD will really help get you out of a jam and you don't have to be swapping out tires twice a year to do it. Hard not to like to be able to drive through a foot a snow when your street is the last to get plowed. I did think twice about the extra expense at least for fuel. But for the CT, it didn't seem to amount to much given the sticker mpgs. Guess I didn't consider the extra maintenance cost too much.

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Ironically I didn't want it but the dealer made me an offer I could not refuse.
So far no complaints on trips- tooled around in 12" of snow in NE PA this past winter.

In the DC area where I live, most fools abandon their vehicles all over the place so realistically I'd need the Grave Digger or some other very large wheeled vehicle to get around when more than 4" of snow comes :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting read. I guess I'm a sucker, because I wanted the AWD specifically. Yes winter tires can do the trick in most cases too, but AWD will really help get you out of a jam and you don't have to be swapping out tires twice a year to do it. Hard not to like to be able to drive through a foot a snow when your street is the last to get plowed. I did think twice about the extra expense at least for fuel. But for the CT, it didn't seem to amount to much given the sticker mpgs. Guess I didn't consider the extra maintenance cost too much.
I had said my next car will be/must be a 4wd. This last winter here in Seattle I was so piss at having to park my 530i BMW on the side of the road because it could not make it up a simple hill. Leaving a 50,000 car on the side of the road causing you not to get any sleep. And plus I had to walk a mile home in the damn snow. I have not yet experience my 4wd in the snow yet. But from what I'm reading on this site. They perform pretty well. We'll see. When I bought my CT I went all the way with all the bell and whistles. You only live once!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't realy care what the article sais. I found AWD far superior to FWD and I DID notice a huge difference. My Grand Prix had winter tires and was only FWD and both my CT and my wife's Element were far superior in the winter.

But to make everybody happy, let's combine snow tire and AWD!!! AWD realy doesn't help you much when you're trying to stop on a slippery road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Southern California. As long as I live there I can live with my 2WD Crosstour. I thought a quick minute about buying a CT with AWD but decided in So Cal, it rarely snows, and we rarely get black ice, if ever, and I don't go off road. So 2WD for me. Save on the cost and the weight and the complexity and cost from a maintenance standpoint.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't realy care what the article sais. I found AWD far superior to FWD and I DID notice a huge difference. My Grand Prix had winter tires and was only FWD and both my CT and my wife's Element were far superior in the winter.

But to make everybody happy, let's combine snow tire and AWD!!! AWD realy doesn't help you much when you're trying to stop on a slippery road.
Are you saying that 4wd is better than a Awd? What's the difference? This is my 1st 4wd.

·
Registered
50 Posts
4WD does not mean AWD!!!!!!!!!

The CT is not available in AWD. It has Real Time 4WD.
I'm pretty sure the CT is AWD. It uses the AWD badge. 4WD all four wheels would lock and run all the time. You'd have a switch to control going from 2wd to 4wd. 4wd is not useable on dry pavement. AWD adjusts when needed.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm pretty sure the CT is AWD. It uses the AWD badge. 4WD all four wheels would lock and run all the time. You'd have a switch to control going from 2wd to 4wd. 4wd is not useable on dry pavement. AWD adjusts when needed.

Am I missing something?
Check your badge again, it says 4WD.

As I said, it's real time 4WD. Which means it's front-wheel drive until you lose traction, then the computer automatically kicks in 4WD. It doesn't run all the time. Mine has only ever kicked in while driving in snow.

Since no car manufacturer has effectively implemented AWD (no, Audi and Subaru haven't), real time 4WD is far superior. AWD vehicles suffer about a 2 MPG drop due to the AWD differential. Additionally, the differential seems to fail much sooner than on a front-wheel drive vehicle. Less fuel economy and higher maintenance costs have kept me away from AWD vehicles.

What the CT has is much nicer. It's not a race car, you don't need AWD in the CT to go around 90 degree turns at 75 mph.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check your badge again, it says 4WD.

As I said, it's real time 4WD. Which means it's front-wheel drive until you lose traction, then the computer automatically kicks in 4WD. It doesn't run all the time. Mine has only ever kicked in while driving in snow.

Since no car manufacturer has effectively implemented AWD (no, Audi and Subaru haven't), real time 4WD is far superior. AWD vehicles suffer about a 2 MPG drop due to the AWD differential. Additionally, the differential seems to fail much sooner than on a front-wheel drive vehicle. Less fuel economy and higher maintenance costs have kept me away from AWD vehicles.

What the CT has is much nicer. It's not a race car, you don't need AWD in the CT to go around 90 degree turns at 75 mph.

You're absouletly right. I had to double check the badge, I would have sworn it had AWD on it. My mind has played a trick on me. I guess I always considered "real time" 4wd as AWD. Coming from having a 4x4 pick-up I guess I always thought 4wd was always like that. Guess not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You're absouletly right. I had to double check the badge, I would have sworn it had AWD on it. My mind has played a trick on me. I guess I always considered "real time" 4wd as AWD. Coming from having a 4x4 pick-up I guess I always thought 4wd was always like that. Guess not.
Yeah, it's similar but different to the old 4x4 on-the-fly stuff most people are used to. 4x4 always had to be engaged when needed by the driver, either by pressing the 4x4 button, locking hub caps, and physically shifting into 4x4.

Your CT operates the same way, only the computer turns the 4x4 on/off when you need it. What's great about this is when people would turn on their 4x4 with the press of a button, forget it's on, then 80 miles later realize they've ruined their differential by driving 65 mph for 80 miles with 4x4. No chance of doing that in your CT since the computer does everything.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, it's similar but different to the old 4x4 on-the-fly stuff most people are used to. 4x4 always had to be engaged when needed by the driver, either by pressing the 4x4 button, locking hub caps, and physically shifting into 4x4.

Your CT operates the same way, only the computer turns the 4x4 on/off when you need it. What's great about this is when people would turn on their 4x4 with the press of a button, forget it's on, then 80 miles later realize they've ruined their differential by driving 65 mph for 80 miles with 4x4. No chance of doing that in your CT since the computer does everything.
There are cars(SUV's) that can do 4x4 automatically too, while still having a manual select option. Our suburban had "auto 4x4," which drove in rwd until it slipped. In all, it had the options of selecting 2x4, 4x4, and Auto 4x4, all via buttons.

What I hate about that article is that it suggests that people are mislead into believing that they will get better traction from awd due to marketing from the manufacturers! What about people who have ALREADY owned a 4x4, AWD, or 4WD vehicle before, and know better? I know what I want, and I know what is better for the location I live in. I want all my wheels driving me forward!

Don't even get me started on the snow tires on fwd vehicles argument. What do you think they will do on an awd car?? It'll push through snow like a mountain goat...or tank!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. I live in SoCal and went for the 4WD the dealer never knows how to quite explain how anything works so you must do your homework these days. Every product preys on the uneducated consumer.

Anyhow I went with that option as I frequently go back to NM and up north through the mountains where it does snow lol.

What kind of tire pressures are you guys running? Ive only had mine a few days but seems a bit fidgety at 60mph+. I noticed the tires looked a bit low but on cold measure checked in at 34psi.

·
Registered
111 Posts
34 cold sounds about right. There have been some postings about the dealer leaving the pressure too high. Some of us have had balance issues. My dealer replaced a couple of tires after 600 miles because he could not balance them. Now the ride is perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts