Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my car more than anything! Bought him with 16k in 2015. Today, we're at 150,300!

Besides new tires, oil changes, flushes.. the norm.. he's been a complete Prince.

All around the same time (a month ago) I noticed:

• poor acceleration.
  • hideous mpg. (I used to get an average of 400 miles per tank for city/hwy... I was barely hitting 300).
  • that awful and cold start groan/shudder.
  • shakes that are getting worse once hitting 2000-2500 rpms and usually at around 40mph.

Before finding the forum, I took it to a mechanic who replaced all my spark plugs, coils and flushed my transmission twice. This was to take care of the mpg/cold start issue. It did nothing.

Took him to the Honda dealership after checking the forums and agreed to have a new VTC actuator put in and they adjusted my valves. I go him back yesterday, but so far.. cold start issue seems to be fixed. I also don't have the hesitation at acceleration that I didn't realize I was getting before. I did notice twice however that it almost seems to take a little longer for the engine to start. like .39873986 seconds longer.. but when you know your car.. you know when something is different. I also notice that the car shakes when at a stop light now. I feel it mostly in the wheel. When I turn the wheel left or right.. it lessons in the wheel but then shakes from beneath. I can feel it in my feet on the brake. I only mention this because I hope to compare with anyone who has had work done for similar issues. I have seen multiple people write about the cold start issue.. and even have had it come back.. but I have never seen a post from anyone where their CT had as many miles as mine does.

Right now, I am waiting a little to see how things pan out before fixing what I think the shudder while driving is.. but wondering if anyone has any new updated to share about anything that they think may be related to my problems?

Of course I would love to go with aftermarket axles which would be around $300 vs the $1200 at Honda.. but I would hate to cut down on expense where I shouldnt. I also saw people mentioning a judder from the torque converter and how cv joints repairs had helped instead of replacing the axles. Anyway to ask them to check into all of it?

If you can't tell I don't know a thing about cars and a lot of it is lost on me, so hoping to do my research before making a decision.

Many thanks and Happy Holidays!

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
From what you describe, I think I would look at a dirty throttle body for the symptoms you described. It's pretty much only a 5 minute check to see if your throttle body is dirty enough to cause the problems you are having. Sometimes, you can't just look at the general problems of the Crosstour and then apply them to every Crosstour. I think your best bet is the Honda dealership. Speak with the Service Manager and explain to him your problem. Tell him you want their best mechanic on your car. Every dealership has a "Top" mechanic. If you make a good case to the Service Manager he will take care of you. Again, don't speak with the service writer, it must be the service manager. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply, all is noted and I will definitely go with your suggestion. The dirty throttle may in fact be something to do w the idling!

Do you know of or have you heard of anyone with mileage as high as mine going through with an axle replacement? I hope I'm saint it right.. quoted at 1200 for OEM parts and to replace both sides for my FWD 4cyl.

My vibration is as far as I can tell only during acceleration 2000-2500rpms (original issue not new vibration at idling/stop light).

I havent seen updates that really speak for those who have gone through the repair and after experiences.

I'm scared to drive much longer as it is because I feel it's doing considerable damage. I worry it's actually the cause of my other issues and that the vibrations while driving are damaging the transmission. I drive as slow and little as I can for now.

Happy holidays!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what you describe, I think I would look at a dirty throttle body for the symptoms you described. It's pretty much only a 5 minute check to see if your throttle body is dirty enough to cause the problems you are having. Sometimes, you can't just look at the general problems of the Crosstour and then apply them to every Crosstour. I think your best bet is the Honda dealership. Speak with the Service Manager and explain to him your problem. Tell him you want their best mechanic on your car. Every dealership has a "Top" mechanic. If you make a good case to the Service Manager he will take care of you. Again, don't speak with the service writer, it must be the service manager. Hope this helps.
Sorry, another quick mention..

I am mostly curious on any input about the oem parts for the axle that were on back order or not available for a really long time.. I noticed I think maybe two users who mentioned having the repairs with the new parts but dont recall updates. If you have thoughts, I'm all ears!

Again, many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
I prefer to try cheaper things before jumping right into axles. After you take really good notice of when the vibration starts and stops and know the vibrations really good. Get your tires rotated (front to back). Check for the vibration again. Is it exactly as it was before? Also, during the vibration period, try moving the gear shifter to neutral. Is there any difference in the vibration? You could also request the dealership remove all four wheels and run the vehicle on the lift to check for vibration. Often you can see and feel (touch) the vibrating axle. It likely is one axle and not both. Again, speak with the service manager and see what he recommends. Keeping chugging along - you are getting closer to fixing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the support! It's been a journey! Never knew about forums and boy do they help! I was able to helping my neighbor with her oven yesterday checking her oven problems only haha.

Yeah.. I had everything checked that was the first thing. Tires, aligned, balanced.. all that. The dealership suggested replacing both at once... but it's most likely just the right side. Definitely going to ask them to check out a few things while under the hood but going to go with replacement! Fingers crossed thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the support! It's been a journey! Never knew about forums and boy do they help! I was able to helping my neighbor with her oven yesterday checking her oven problems only haha.

Yeah.. I had everything checked that was the first thing. Tires, aligned, balanced.. all that. The dealership suggested replacing both at once... but it's most likely just the right side. Definitely going to ask them to check out a few things while under the hood but going to go with replacement! Fingers crossed thanks for your help!
Just being nosy. Any updates?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts