Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New member here and I am getting ready to possibly lease a CT. Right now it looks like Honda has some amazing lease deals including the CT. So here's my dilemma, I'm having trouble deciding between an Accord EX (4 cyl) or the Crosstour (EX 2WD, no leather). The difference in monthly lease amount is $40 which to me isn't a big deal.

I live in Southern California, and I'm coming from a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT which drinks premium fuel like there's no tomorrow. I'm happy if I'm able to get 22 mpg on strictly highway driving :mad: I think both Hondas will do much better in the fuel mileage figures!

I don't necessarily need the extra room of the CT, but do like the accessibility and the thought of having that extra room. As far as V6 versus I4, I've driven both and can do with less power if it means slightly better fuel economy. For the CT owners out here in California, what sort of MPGs are you seeing with your cars?

I'm leaning towards the CT because I feel like the MPG of the Accord might be outweighed by: the looks (love the CT!) and extra cargo capacity. So given what you've read (sorry for the lengthy post), do you think I'd be better off with the Accord or the Crosstour?

TL;DR - Accord EX (I4) or Crosstour (EX 2WD)

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi fellow So Californian. :)

I live in Orange County and have had my 2011 Crosstour since June 11th and have around 1430 miles on it now. I am sure you'll get at least 22 mpg on moving freeway driving. If you're in stop-and-go freeway traffic it will suffer. Around town, with red light-to-red light driving, I've gotten 18 and 16.9 mpg, keeping in mind that this was under 1000 miles on the odometer.

I just drove to Santa Barbara on Saturday, hitting stop-and-go traffic in LA on the way and then a little more on the way home, but I got 24.9 mpg on that trip, the best I've gotten so far. I also did another trip which included mountain climbing to 7,000 feet. On that trip I got 23.7 mpg, driving around 79 mph across the desert.

I calculate my mpg every time I fill up, dividing the miles traveled by the the gas to fill up. When I compare this to the mileage the car calculates with the trip computer, the car's trip computer comes up with .5 to 1 mpg more than the true value I've calculated.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thanks for your feedback Patricia! The numbers look like I can live with them!
I suspect you'll do better than those numbers once the vehicle is broken in.

I have 26k on my 4WD Crosstour and I average around 25mpg conservatively, and that's just around town.

If it's only highway driving I can push it to 28/29mpg.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I believe your answer will be found in 'is the CT worth $10.00 a week to you (40.00/month)?' for a vehicle you say meets your mileage wishes and that you like the looks of.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Patricia, your mileage will improve as you break in the car, too. Is yours 2wd drive or 4wd? 2wd models should get at least 1-2 mpg more than 4wd.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Patricia, your mileage will improve as you break in the car, too. Is yours 2wd drive or 4wd? 2wd models should get at least 1-2 mpg more than 4wd.
^I have the 2wd version. I think the mileage is improving already. I have the worst around town driving here, with lots of time sitting at red lights, before going to the next long red light. Seriously, I've watched 3 minutes tick off. It is very irritating to me and I've watched how the mileage goes down the toilet on the trip computer while I sit there. I was getting around 26 mpg on my last trip before getting stuck in the traffic in LA. I'll be driving to Colorado in 3 weeks and I'll see how it does then. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for your feedback Patricia! The numbers look like I can live with them!
You're welcome. :) For me, a V6 kicks butt on a 4 cylinder. I wouldn't have even considered the Crosstour unless it had a V6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe your answer will be found in 'is the CT worth $10.00 a week to you (40.00/month)?' for a vehicle you say meets your mileage wishes and that you like the looks of.
It's "worth" it in a sense. There are times when I miss having an SUV/truck to carry stuff around in. I've changed out tires, rims, car parts, etc. that have been "difficult" to carry in my current sedan. Add to that the fact that my rear seats don't really fold down and you've got limited trunk space. I love the roominess that the CT offers.

However, the "potential" combined savings of a 4 cylinder Accord have my wallet and bank account leading the fight. We're not only talking about the monthly difference in lease payments, but also gas, and insurance. Over the of a year, it can add up. I guess it's a fight between the mind (Accord) vs. the heart (Crosstour).

It is very irritating to me and I've watched how the mileage goes down the toilet on the trip computer while I sit there. I was getting around 26 mpg on my last trip before getting stuck in the traffic in LA.
I love the weather of LA/SoCal, but abhor the traffic :(. Plus our gas quality isn't the best either and I suspect that others across the country get better mileage than we do here in California.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't forget to check insurance rates and DMV fees while you compare the two. You need to call your insurance agent and local DMV for a comparison between the two. As you know the car ownership cost between the two will be different than the $40.00 a month you mentioned.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as gas mileage and break-in period goes, I have some good news to report.
I calculate my mileage and reset my trip meter at every fill-up. When I filled up this week, I got 412 miles from one tank of gas for an overall 26.6mpg. My best yet and it was just an ordinary week of my regular commuting (not a freeway roadtrip).
My first few tanks I was filling up at around 320 - 330 miles with mileage around 21-22mpg. Now, I'm at 9,500 miles on the odometer and the mileage keeps on improving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello everyone,

New member here and I am getting ready to possibly lease a CT. Right now it looks like Honda has some amazing lease deals including the CT. So here's my dilemma, I'm having trouble deciding between an Accord EX (4 cyl) or the Crosstour (EX 2WD, no leather). The difference in monthly lease amount is $40 which to me isn't a big deal.

I live in Southern California, and I'm coming from a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT which drinks premium fuel like there's no tomorrow. I'm happy if I'm able to get 22 mpg on strictly highway driving :mad: I think both Hondas will do much better in the fuel mileage figures!

I don't necessarily need the extra room of the CT, but do like the accessibility and the thought of having that extra room. As far as V6 versus I4, I've driven both and can do with less power if it means slightly better fuel economy. For the CT owners out here in California, what sort of MPGs are you seeing with your cars?

I'm leaning towards the CT because I feel like the MPG of the Accord might be outweighed by: the looks (love the CT!) and extra cargo capacity. So given what you've read (sorry for the lengthy post), do you think I'd be better off with the Accord or the Crosstour?

TL;DR - Accord EX (I4) or Crosstour (EX 2WD)

Thanks!
i get 18 in around town and 26 on the road- only drawback of the XTR i have found is the shock struts limiting the width of items loaded with seats down flat.i replaced a accord v-6 sedan with the XTR and love the XTR's added room.

also if mileage is sooo important suggest the below site to compare and track it

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi fellow So Californian. :)

I live in Orange County and have had my 2011 Crosstour since June 11th and have around 1430 miles on it now. I am sure you'll get at least 22 mpg on moving freeway driving. If you're in stop-and-go freeway traffic it will suffer. Around town, with red light-to-red light driving, I've gotten 18 and 16.9 mpg, keeping in mind that this was under 1000 miles on the odometer.

I just drove to Santa Barbara on Saturday, hitting stop-and-go traffic in LA on the way and then a little more on the way home, but I got 24.9 mpg on that trip, the best I've gotten so far. I also did another trip which included mountain climbing to 7,000 feet. On that trip I got 23.7 mpg, driving around 79 mph across the desert.

I calculate my mpg every time I fill up, dividing the miles traveled by the the gas to fill up. When I compare this to the mileage the car calculates with the trip computer, the car's trip computer comes up with .5 to 1 mpg more than the true value I've calculated.
I took my Crosstour on another trip, from Southern California to Grand Lake, Colorado last week. My mileage has improved. This time I got 24 mpg to 30 mpg, depending on if I was climbing to 14,000 feet on Mt. Evans, or just driving lots of miles on I-80. I'm very happy with those numbers. I now have 4,500 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a dealer, I will tell you that some of the MPG ratings are a little generous, but I just filled up for the first time and got 25mpg, but 90% of my commute is highway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts