Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone felt a slight vibration in the steering wheel at normal highway speeds (not a Wheel balance problem)? After going through 4 wheel balalnces to correct what I thought was an out of balance wheel, the Service Manager told me there is a harmonic resonance that the drive train produces in V6 hondas that pulse through the body during acceleration and deceleration as highway speeds and can be felt inthe steering wheel. It's slight but perceptable. I ran the car through its paces up to 110mph and it's rock solid for the most part except the slight vibration I'm describing here - has anyone else felt this?:confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm not sure. On both our 3.0 ltr 2004 sedan and the 3.5 ltr 2010 wagon, I notice a slight vibration at about 60MPH. it doesn't occur before or after that speed. It's just right there in that sweet spot that it happens. Wheel balance, rotor "trueing" and tires make no diff on the 2004 sedan. I've not yet addressed it on the CT.

-fred

·
Registered
594 Posts
I drove my car up to NYC from FL after buying it... I drove between 60 and 70 half the drive (about 600 miles) cause that's the break in period where you have to take it easy... I did not experience that problem... After that I went an average of 80 (peaked at 100) all the way home to NY and did not experience anything out of the ordinary in terms of vibrations in the steering wheel... I will definitely look out for that tomorrow

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have notice some small amount of vibrations in the steering wheel as all cars do but not enough to bother me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Has anyone felt a slight vibration in the steering wheel at normal highway speeds (not a Wheel balance problem)? After going through 4 wheel balalnces to correct what I thought was an out of balance wheel, the Service Manager told me there is a harmonic resonance that the drive train produces in V6 hondas that pulse through the body during acceleration and deceleration as highway speeds and can be felt inthe steering wheel. It's slight but perceptable. I ran the car through its paces up to 110mph and it's rock solid for the most part except the slight vibration I'm describing here - has anyone else felt this?:confused:
Yes I get some slight vibrations and feedback thru the steering but nothing too noticeable.

C.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I turned off the radio, closed the windows, no ac, and I couldn't notice it. It could be due to the fact that NYC streets are terrible and don't allow me to fully distinguish the engine vibrations from the vibrations caused by the road.

I drove the crap out of that car today trying to find the vibration and axle noise and by the time I stopped I had a huge grin on my face... It was peaceful with everything off and this car handles winding roads better than a lot of smaller cars do lol... I also bagged some chicks number cause she thought I had "a nice car" lol... what a great day! I love the CT more and more every day lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool - the vibration is barely noticable. pgarci01 - great story. I have to admit I really enjoy this car though - it handles well for a car of it size and the engine is sweet. I can't wait to get this puppy in the snow to test the 4WD.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cool - the vibration is barely noticable. pgarci01 - great story. I have to admit I really enjoy this car though - it handles well for a car of it size and the engine is sweet. I can't wait to get this puppy in the snow to test the 4WD.

Where are you JG?
C.

·
Registered
594 Posts
LOL it really is! I got my car in FL and the dealer said that there's no real use for 4WD over there and the only way they get them is if you request it special order. Up here in NY all they sell is 4WD ones. I'm sure the 4WD handles better period not just in the snow lol. This NY weather is completely random. Todays high is in the mid 80s to lower 90s. The way the weather's been going around here 70 degrees mid December wouldn't surprise me. I went to Miami for spring break and I kid you not it snowed... LMAO

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL it really is! I got my car in FL and the dealer said that there's no real use for 4WD over there and the only way they get them is if you request it special order. Up here in NY all they sell is 4WD ones. I'm sure the 4WD handles better period not just in the snow lol. This NY weather is completely random. Todays high is in the mid 80s to lower 90s. The way the weather's been going around here 70 degrees mid December wouldn't surprise me. I went to Miami for spring break and I kid you not it snowed... LMAO
I blame Al Gore. He invented the internet, and then started up the global warming thing. If we have a 90 degree day in October, Somebody should kick him in the butt. ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I blame Al Gore. He invented the internet, and then started up the global warming thing. If we have a 90 degree day in October, Somebody should kick him in the butt. ;)
LOL, I think his wife did that recently.......right out the door....:rolleyes:

C.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The vibration is definitely there, and as most have stated it is slight and not really a problem. This particular CT I bought had a much heavier vibration when I test drove it. It was enough that I refused the car. Wanted the gray metallic so they had their service people work on it. Took about three hours of their time but they straightened it out. I was told it was a tire. They had to 'true' one of them. Drove it again for about 20 miles and it was pretty much gone.

After 25+ new cars I've had my share of tire problems, pulling, vibrating, etc. A word of advice and caution to all, if you have a persistent problem and suspect tires make sure that you speak up to the tire people before one year or 12k miles. I've had the tire manufacturers replace whole sets for me within this time. I usually upgrade the tires too, just pay the difference between the stock tire and what I want. Have done this with Michelin and Firestone in the past.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in Frederick, Maryland. Good advice AD. I'll keep that in mind. I'm driving to Akron, OH tomorrow and back. I'm psyched for the ride. If the problem is still there, although I have not felt anything but a small vibration now, I'll have them replace all tires. The Michelin Lattitudes on the CT are not cheap - $263/pc new.

JG

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have noticed this vibration, even after I rotated the tires. I notice is more sore about 55mph. Should I take it to the dealership and have them look it over?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have noticed this vibration, even after I rotated the tires. I notice is more sore about 55mph. Should I take it to the dealership and have them look it over?
why not let the dealer check if you think vibration bothering you maybe there is something wrong.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Drove the CT yesterday, wife lets me drive it about every two weeks, ol. This was the first time I could leave the a/c off. The slight vibration I felt before seemed to be gone. I'm guessing that perhaps the a/c compressor was giving the car a little shake. When I have time I'll play with it a little more doing an on/off scenario to see if this is in fact what I have been feeling.

How about you folks in colder climates, any difference with the a/c compressor off?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Drove the CT yesterday, wife lets me drive it about every two weeks, ol. This was the first time I could leave the a/c off. The slight vibration I felt before seemed to be gone. I'm guessing that perhaps the a/c compressor was giving the car a little shake. When I have time I'll play with it a little more doing an on/off scenario to see if this is in fact what I have been feeling.

How about you folks in colder climates, any difference with the a/c compressor off?
That's a good point, AD.....the compressor can cause a little engine shake.
Unlike you, we've not had the a/c -- (only in extreme heat) so I'll have to do a comparison too.
While I'm out 'chauffeuring' today I'll try to remember to do that comparo.
The weather has changed here quite a bit to about 50 degrees average daily and 45 at night -- not sure if the compressor will kick in at those temps -- we'll see.
C.

C.

·
Super Moderator
337 Posts
I live in Frederick, Maryland. ...

JG
I'm in Rockville, MD.

A bit off topic but couldn't resist the temptation...

Hopefully we'll get record snows (again) this winter.

I drove my Mitsu on semi-plowed roads every day except the day of the "blizzard" last winter without any issues. Here is a picture of what it looked like before the plow came down the street ehehehe (Suburban had no chance). This would cause a bit of steering vibration on the CT ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts