Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOr some reason, i think it was the wax job a person did when i had it detailed. all my wipers have lines now that they leave as they wipe.

winter is coming on and i am wondering what would be a great replacement blade for all 3?

i have a 2011 EXL with Navi, 4x4

was reading about thos michelin blades but i also dont knwo for sure what size i have for this car?

thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am assuming your wiper arms are not damaged, as you have stated that "all" your wipers are affected. I believe your wipers may have a coat of wax on them (or some other solvent) after your car was detailed. If that was the case, I would first try cleaning them with some wiper cleaner.
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-16050-Wiper-Restore-Towelette/dp/B003EROKVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321329787&sr=8-1

If that doesn't work, you can always buy new Honda wiper inserts for all 3 wipers for less than $20.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?vin=&Label[ProductID]=CROSSTOUR&Label[YearID]=2010&Label[DoorID]=5&Label[GradeID]=EXL+%284WD+NAVI%29&Label[AreaID]=KA&Label[TransmissionID]=5AT&Label[SectionID]=ELECTRICAL+%2F+EXHAUST+%2F+HEATER+%2F+FUEL&Label[IllustrationGroupID]=FRONT+WINDSHIELD+WIPER&ProductID=30&YearID=41&DoorID=3&GradeID=467&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=7&SectionID=5&IllustrationGroupID=18490

In my experience, it doesn't matter the brand of wipers, (Michelin, RainX, etc). With repeated use, ALL wipers eventually wear and need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Just purchased a set of RainX Latitude wipers for my other vehicle. I was skeptical due to the price. About $20 per wiper. I was really amazed at the clarity on the windshield. There are a few things I won't skimp on for my cars. Tires, brakes, and other safety equipment. Wipers also fall into that category. I'll always purchase the best or even better. Advance Auto parts had these, but if you intend to purchase, get on their mailing list as they often run coupons, and I would expect with the upcoming Black Friday, they might again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey

thanks for those wipe tips. i ordered some to try out. yes the arms are fine, it happened after a detail i had done and someone told me it was probably fom the wax. all 3 at once, and all have really bad lines they leave now. the blades are only 7 months old!

i will try the wipes and if those are shot i will get some new ones

thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also wanted to point out that "wax repels water". With a coat of wax on your wipers, the wipers "skip" over the water, instead of "sweeping" off which explains why wipers are less effective if they have wax on them. Another more likely possibility, is that your windshield/rear window has a coat of wax on it, which is likely if the detailer used liquid wax and a buffing ball that spins fast enough to spray wax every direction. If cleaning your wipers don't work, try cleaning your windshield with Windex or Nail Polish remover.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Recently I had my windshield replaced due to a stone chip, and though the glass guy was friendly and did a good job, there was a barely noticeable film left on the windshield. I didn't even notice the film at first, what I did notice was a giant rubber squeak noise on my left wiper in the rain that suddenly became apparent. . .only after closer inspection did I notice the film.

So I cleaned the heck out of the windshield with regular glass cleaner, also wiping down the wiper blades. . .no luck.

Another week goes by as I contemplate what else I can try before I plunk down the money on wiper blades (when I know these were fine before the glass change). . .so I'm at an auto parts store and I see this thick liquid spray "bug remover and degreaser," so I thought that might be worth a shot for $4. It happened to be pouring rain so I go to try it immediately, I let some soak on the windshield and on the wipers, cleaned it off, repeated. . .windshield now cleaner than ever and absolutely no film on the outside. . .squeak now louder than ever!

Got home, tried some diluted denatured alcohol - now I have a concours clean windshield but still hits a weird patch of squeakiness.

So I think the film that was on the windshield somehow "poisoned" my wipers. I ordered some Rain-X latitudes that should be here today or tomorrow from Amazon. . .I'll give the windshield another great cleaning, and put on a coat of PPG Aquapel (which is unbelievable if you've never used it, if you move fast you can get 2 windshields and maybe even 2 rear windows with one applicator) and hope these new wipers will solve it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for posting, Aceman. I hope the new wipers solves your streaking issue. I still you my stock wipers, but have since order 2 sets of front wipers from Bernardi parts for around $20. I am saving them for later, just in case the stock one new replaceing.

I recently had lots of rain in my area. One cool thing I like about driving the CT is that on the highway (at speeds above 60mph), I do not use my wipers! The wind just pulls the rain drops up the windshield. It is amazing! I don't remember or know of any car I sat in that did this. It baffles me.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Thanks for posting, Aceman. I hope the new wipers solves your streaking issue. I still you my stock wipers, but have since order 2 sets of front wipers from Bernardi parts for around $20. I am saving them for later, just in case the stock one new replaceing.

I recently had lots of rain in my area. One cool thing I like about driving the CT is that on the highway (at speeds above 60mph), I do not use my wipers! The wind just pulls the rain drops up the windshield. It is amazing! I don't remember or know of any car I sat in that did this. It baffles me.

Friedrice19, it sounds like you are speaking about Rain X.

I have always been a user of Rain X brand Glass Treatment. Simply apply the treatment to the exterior of your glass and watch raindrops fly off your windshield while driving. Often you can drive in mist, light or even medium rain without using your windshield wipers.

I have found that in heavy rain, the Rain X cannot keep the heavy rain off fast enough and your wipers are necessary. Also, if during the winter, snow slush gets thrown on your windshield, Rain X won’t help. Also, do not use Rain X on the interior glass. It can be purchased as most every Wal-Mart or auto parts store for about $5.

I applied Rain X on my CT when I first got my CT a few months ago. The water still just runs off. I re-apply the Rain X about every 6 or so months on all my cars. It only takes about 2 minutes to reapply using a clean terry towel.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok I switched my "polluted" wipers out (the ones that somehow became infected with squeakiness after the windshield was replaced) with new Rain-X latitudes and I'm pretty impressed with the latitudes. It's hard to say that I recommend you throw away your stock wipers ASAP and go out and buy these, but something to look at when its time for replacement. . .got mine at Amazon.

And CT - have you ever tried the PPG Aquapel? It's a lot more "persistent" than Rain-X, it stays around for several months of usefulness and though it doesn't totally negate the need for wipers it does work nicely in concert with them. You can get it at Amazon, or if you need arm twisting PM me your snail mail and I'll send you one, I have a bunch!

I love having a vehicle with a rear wiper (this is my 4th I think) but at the same time, it's very apparent that everyone has sort of given up on giving the rear wiper any sensible logic. I've never seen a car that, at most - has more than two rear wiper speeds, usually just an on/off. I want a rear wiper that is smart enough to know how fast to go by the intensity of the rain (usually indicated by the speed I've set the front wipers to) and inversely to the speed of the vehicle. . .i.e. the faster you go the more water will sheet off rear glass instead of pile up on it. There are sensors a heck of a lot smarter than that in the car! One can dream. . . :)

Friedrice19, it sounds like you are speaking about Rain X.

I have always been a user of Rain X brand Glass Treatment. Simply apply the treatment to the exterior of your glass and watch raindrops fly off your windshield while driving. Often you can drive in mist, light or even medium rain without using your windshield wipers.

I have found that in heavy rain, the Rain X cannot keep the heavy rain off fast enough and your wipers are necessary. Also, if during the winter, snow slush gets thrown on your windshield, Rain X won’t help. Also, do not use Rain X on the interior glass. It can be purchased as most every Wal-Mart or auto parts store for about $5.

I applied Rain X on my CT when I first got my CT a few months ago. The water still just runs off. I re-apply the Rain X about every 6 or so months on all my cars. It only takes about 2 minutes to reapply using a clean terry towel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Crashmaster, thanks for the tip on RainX. I've actually never used RainX or PPG Aquapel, but I will give it a try when I start noticing the water no longer running up my windshield. It is sort of funny going down the highway in rain without my wipers on. I was following a Prius the other day on the highway, keeping about oh say 4 second following distance. He was the only car on the highway going the speed limit of 65mph through some small rural towns. Anyway.... I looked through his split rear window and noticed his wipers were on HIGH, while mine were completely OFF...lol

I think it is the slope of the CT windshield that gives it this property. I sat shotgun in a new 2011 Tundra awhile back in the rain and rain drops do not move up the windshield on the highway. They just stay there and leave only when the wiper hits them :)

P.S. - I am not Toyota bashing, this is just coincidence

·
Registered
237 Posts
So, ppl have mentioned the Rain X lattitudes... OEM replacements...
any other endorsements? Anyone ever try the PIAA wipers?

Looks like with those you don't need to apply any other treatments... ppg or rain x...

Just curious, as its about time to put new blades on the car and was wondering.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So, ppl have mentioned the Rain X lattitudes... OEM replacements...
any other endorsements? Anyone ever try the PIAA wipers?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z9R2U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks like with those you don't need to apply any other treatments... ppg or rain x...

Just curious, as its about time to put new blades on the car and was wondering.
Took a peek at those PIAAs. . .(and <whisper voice> in all honesty, just about any of these would probably give you satisfactory performance, the fact that we're debating this is to the cheers of marketing departments everywhere. . .:) ).

Two things stand out to me. . .

1. The PIAA's have these articulating arms that hold the blade out from the arm at several places (or "pressure points" as I heard in an ad. . .<eyes roll>), the Latitudes don't, it's one solid blade pressed squarely across.

2. On the blades being impregnated with a coating that transfers to your windshield and repels water (for an infinite amount of time??). I just am skeptical of anything that says it can "permanently" replace lubricant X that is applied on a regular basis. You could get your pistons moly-coated and they'd have even less friction. . .but you'd still need oil in your engine and to change it regularly. Sorta just my OCD here, but the "never wash," "never needs water," etc. kind of claims tend to have some trade offs involved. (giant thread citing examples where I'm wrong, please commence :D)

My latitude were hmm about $45 a pair, maybe less on Amazon (I hope to get 2-3 years out of them), and 2 applications of PPG Aquapel per year costs me about $12 or so. All in all, for great vision, a fair price.

-ace

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ha! I know what ya mean about marketing Ace... that's why having a forum like this is great to sort the FACT from the FICTION... nothing beats real world experience!

How does the lattitude's hold to the CT's windows? Some reviews state on some models.. manly the CR-V's that there is a streaking gap sometimes in the middle or on the tips / ends...
Do you get consistent contact with yours? the 26" Driver and 19" passenger's?
Not so worried about the rear 21"...

thanks for your opinion!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Checking those lattitudes out on amazon -
Rain-X 5079281 Latitude 8-In-1 Premium Graphite Coated Wiper Blade, 26" (Pack of 1)

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-5079281-Latitude-Premium-Graphite/dp/B000RGVNMG/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Accord%20Crosstour%7C16137&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Honda%7C59&Year=2010%7C2010&vehicleType=5&carId=003

It says they are Not a fit for my 2010 CT ex-l...
hmm.. makes ya wonder why... or if you could provide a different item number.. maybe I'm looking at the wrong "lattitudes" even if its the only type I see there.

Even the Bosch's are not a fit according to amazon... wonder if its in their contract to purposely leave out certain brands.. on both the Bosch and Rain-X sites, they show compatability with the Honda Accords... (they dont have the crosstour as listing though). They sure want to sell you those Trico's, Valeo's, ACDelco & Anco's though! most of which have shoddy to poor reviews...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Weird. . .but here's my info from my receipt, I looked it up:

Latitude 19" - $15.11 @ Amazon w/ free Prime S&H
Latitude 26" - $18.99 @ Amazon w/ free Prime S&H
= $34.10 (less than I thought and way less than Autozone)

And they come with a multitude of brackets, but luckily the ones that are already on the Latitudes are the ones our wiper arm needs.

As far as your question about even coverage, I'm going to be honest I have limited usage of these as of this writing. . .like 10-15min rain and 3-5 good windshield cleanings. . .in that limited scope, they are great.

Don't laugh at me, but see in my picture above of the Latitude, it has a thin cover over the length of it that it ships with and uhhh, I might know this guy who put them on with those little protector covers at first.

And totally unscientific seat of the pants assertion, but I've been starting to periodically clean my windshield with this stuff (especially before new wipers or any fresh application of a rain sheeting product), it gets off a lot of crap that you will think was streakiness in your wipers, but it was actually patches of gunk on your windshield that your wipers couldn't get off.
Auto Glass Stripper - $9.10 @ Amazon w/ free Prime S&H

After I used that for a couple rounds of apply, rinse, and repeat, I used my favorite regular glass cleaner, then after that would be a good time to do Aqualpel or Rain-X.

Ohh wow you guys are gonna like this, I found a test a guy did on his Mini Cooper on YouTube. From left to right (looking out from the inside) he did Aquapel, untreated, Rain-X, and videoed himself driving several times over 2 months. He declared Aquapel the winner but more importantly, you can actually see them side to side where all other things are equal.

Here are a bunch of links to different quantities of Aquapel on Amazon, unfortunately no free Prime S&H, but these prices do seem to be lower than a quick spot-check over at eBay, when you include S&H.

-ace

Checking those lattitudes out on amazon -
Rain-X 5079281 Latitude 8-In-1 Premium Graphite Coated Wiper Blade, 26" (Pack of 1)

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-5079281-Latitude-Premium-Graphite/dp/B000RGVNMG/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Accord%20Crosstour%7C16137&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Honda%7C59&Year=2010%7C2010&vehicleType=5&carId=003

It says they are Not a fit for my 2010 CT ex-l...
hmm.. makes ya wonder why... or if you could provide a different item number.. maybe I'm looking at the wrong "lattitudes" even if its the only type I see there.

Even the Bosch's are not a fit according to amazon... wonder if its in their contract to purposely leave out certain brands.. on both the Bosch and Rain-X sites, they show compatability with the Honda Accords... (they dont have the crosstour as listing though). They sure want to sell you those Trico's, Valeo's, ACDelco & Anco's though! most of which have shoddy to poor reviews...

·
Registered
30 Posts
OEM wiper inserts now on ebay

A vendor now is selling the complete set of three OEM Crosstour wiper inserts for a good price —just over $18 including shipping — on ebay.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A vendor now is selling the complete set of three OEM Crosstour wiper inserts for a good price —just over $18 including shipping — on ebay.
Not a bad deal, especially if you're just ordering those 3 wiper inserts. Here's a link to that auction.

However if you're ordering wipers + a few other parts, a good online vendor like Benardi has them cheaper ($11.xx) for the 3 wiper inserts, but the S&H minimum charge for me just about doubled the total. But if I ordered a couple filters and a couple quarts of fluid and some other things, S&H barely budged.

-ace

1 - 17 of 17 Posts