Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Readers -
Took my CT to the smog shop and failed - technician said, there are fuel fumes and it needs to be resolved first. So I parked her (safety first) and now I'm working on the issue. I've done the best I can to get locate this leak, without a smoker - the fill and over flow tubes are in good shape. I don't see any issues with the evap tubes going to the evap canister and are good. Evap canister, though it may have issues due to previous owners over filling, eventually they do dry and the smell "when over flowed" would go away. Not to mention that a break down of any of these points would trip a code. I tested the fuel code by keeping the fuel tank cap removed - it did trip a code at that point. Well the code was stored, it hadn't met the threshold for CE light. In any case, I made my way under the rear seat and opened the access point for the fuel sender and woosh a nice face full of fumes. I had already been under the car inspecting all the connectors and evap tubes. The under seat access point was the high point and where the vapors were accumulated. It seams pretty obvious there's a vapor leak at the fuel pump. As you can see in the attached images, the pump has developed some cracks on the top of the housing. From what I can tell the vapor leak, though very small has been there for a very long time and over that time the gas vapor has settled on the top of the dusty fuel tank and started to saturate the dust turning it sticky with a varnish like sheen. the other access point is the opposite. Just dust that is wiped easily and now sticky or varnishy.
Resolution is new Fuel Sender and ring gasket.
Wanted to post this to get some confirmation on my observations and resolution to replace the sender unit as a whole.

Thanks in advance -
Bumbie-FuelPump-1.jpg Bumbie-FuelPump-2.jpg

Trav...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Readers -
Took my CT to the smog shop and failed - technician said, there are fuel fumes and it needs to be resolved first. So I parked her (safety first) and now I'm working on the issue. I've done the best I can to get locate this leak, without a smoker - the fill and over flow tubes are in good shape. I don't see any issues with the evap tubes going to the evap canister and are good. Evap canister, though it may have issues due to previous owners over filling, eventually they do dry and the smell "when over flowed" would go away. Not to mention that a break down of any of these points would trip a code. I tested the fuel code by keeping the fuel tank cap removed - it did trip a code at that point. Well the code was stored, it hadn't met the threshold for CE light. In any case, I made my way under the rear seat and opened the access point for the fuel sender and woosh a nice face full of fumes. I had already been under the car inspecting all the connectors and evap tubes. The under seat access point was the high point and where the vapors were accumulated. It seams pretty obvious there's a vapor leak at the fuel pump. As you can see in the attached images, the pump has developed some cracks on the top of the housing. From what I can tell the vapor leak, though very small has been there for a very long time and over that time the gas vapor has settled on the top of the dusty fuel tank and started to saturate the dust turning it sticky with a varnish like sheen. the other access point is the opposite. Just dust that is wiped easily and now sticky or varnishy.
Resolution is new Fuel Sender and ring gasket.
Wanted to post this to get some confirmation on my observations and resolution to replace the sender unit as a whole.

Thanks in advance -
View attachment 9711 View attachment 9712

Trav...
I'd say your right. Especially since the fumes were present. Makes me want to inspect mine. Thanks for posting this. A real safety concern.

Reactions: Travelor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say your right. Especially since the fumes were present. Makes me want to inspect mine. Thanks for posting this. A real safety concern.
NG -
I appreciate the confirmation. -
I am glad that the sub-message in this post is also understood. If you smell gas fumes - park the car ASAP and don't drive it until you fix the problem. Continued use of the vehicle with a fuel leak, however minor, puts at risk the lives of everyone in the car and anyone around the car if a spark happens at the right time and the right place. Poof - car go bye bye for ever..

Again, thanks for the confirmation and happy driving~~
Trav..

Reactions: NailGrease
1 - 4 of 4 Posts