Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my crosstour in for an oil change at 14,200 miles and the honda rep told me they recommend getting the fuel injectors clean every 15000 miles for $150. I cannot find this anywhere in the maintenance manual. Has anyone else had this done or recommended?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree 15K is a bit too frequent. I recommend putting a bottle of BG 44K or similar Redline product every 15K. Also have the dealership change out your inline fuel filter at 15K, then add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your tank after you take your car home from the dealer/mechanic. I agree with CCT with having a professional cleaning every 50K. I would also recommend investing in a canister cleaner (about $200) if you plan on keeping your vehicle for awhile or have multiple vehicles in your possession
http://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Injection-Cleaner-Kit-FIC203/dp/B002UZM3HG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1312178505&sr=8-8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. I love this car and definitely want to drive it as long as gas is available so your advice has come in very handy.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
we recomend it at my dealer but it is not till it has at least 100,000km (60,000 miles) 15,000miles is way to soon !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your service advisor

Don't forget that your service advisor works on commission. He is happy to sell you services that your car neither requires or needs if you are running with a good "top-tier" gasoline or use a high quality injector cleaner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can assure you that Honda does not recommend this procedure at any mileage, let alone 15K miles. It's nothing more than the dealer trying to add on service not needed.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
I have seen more vehicles come in with destroyed fuel pumps and other fuel problems from using various additives in the fuel system. Leave it alone. Most dealership service advisors make a hefty commission on the fuel system cleaning. This is one of those things that; if it is not broken, leave it alone. BG use to come into our dealership every year and buy the techs a big lunch and explain to them how much money they can make by selling their BG products. The service advisor would make $10 and the Tech would make $10 for each service. Doing four or five services a day can really put a large bonus in your pay check. I've seen various plans at different dealerships. Honda doesn't recommend it and that pretty much ends that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The odd thing was that my gas mileage was the best it ever has been after I fell for that $150 fuel injection cleaner. Of course not so great that it made up $150!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nobody sold the service until a 3rd party company started pushing the chemicals and kickbacks. Uh BG is one of the big ones. They also were at the forefront of the transmission flush.

The only thing I think people over look is brake fluid. That stuff needs to get changed out every few years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner for 15 years , with great results , but only on an Engine that felt like it needed it usually around 75,000 +miles . The results were instant.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have used Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner for 15 years , with great results , but only on an Engine that felt like it needed it usually around 75,000 +miles . The results were instant.
I'm not familiar with that product, but I do think Redline is an excellent company that makes great stuff.

I've started using Seafoam engine cleaner (about $10 @ can), after doing a little research and asking around it seemed to be one of few that had a reputation (a long one, it's been out for like 50 yrs) as an effective product, and not "snake oil," and can be used both as a fuel system treatment and also as an oil additive (you change your oil relatively shortly after adding it). There is a good explanation on how it does what it claims to do on its webpage.

My personal experience, on my small 4-cycle lawn & garden engines it made an immediate noticeable difference in smoothing out the idle. In my 10yr old, 50k mile BMW 2.5 liter engine it also seemed to smooth out a little roughness at idle that I previously blamed on infrequent/irregular driving patterns.

I have not yet used it as an oil treatment on anything, but probably will try so this year. I will also try to find a new small engine to run it on and then take the head off and see what the valves and combustion chambers look like compared to similar engines I've worked on.

The only thing I'd be careful about is not to use any of these products too frequently because the solvents and alcohol they contain are not friendly to any rubber or petroleum based seals and lines in your fuel system. That is not to say once a year will hurt anything. . .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nobody sold the service until a 3rd party company started pushing the chemicals and kickbacks. Uh BG is one of the big ones. They also were at the forefront of the transmission flush.

The only thing I think people over look is brake fluid. That stuff needs to get changed out every few years.
I know the FI cleaning is bullshit but am unsure about flushing the tranny. My last inspection (40k miles) Honda told me the tranny flush was part of the scheduled service for my 4WD Crosstour.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know the FI cleaning is bullshit but am unsure about flushing the tranny. My last inspection (40k miles) Honda told me the tranny flush was part of the scheduled service for my 4WD Crosstour.
Yes it's legit. . .if you look in the packet of manuals that came with your CT, one of them is called "Service History." It's for them to check off what they did for each scheduled maintenance visit. Rear diff, center transfer case, and automatic transmission fluid are all on the list and their procedures are documented in the service book. Here's the overall service schedule, I cannot tell you when the "sub-items" get triggered, but - that stuff is legit. And the transmission fluid service can also require cleaning of the transmission cooler per service manual.

HTH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts