Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read other peoples issues and before I give up and just sell this thing, I thought I'd see if anyone had any other suggestions. So I have a 2010 EX-L Nav 4WD with 159,000 on it. I bought it from a one owner for my winter car. The test drive was great and I'll get back to that. So, after a day or two the front started with this clunk sound. It's like a pool cue ball wrapped in a thin kitchen towel being tapped on metal. Thats the sound, muted but very noticeable as well as I'm able to feel it on the floorboard. Not that that's where it is but at this point you never know. So the owner I purchased it from new was super meticulous and did all maintenance and above and beyond. This sound happens on smooth roads with an uneven spot or crack as well as on bumpy and cracked roads and bumps. So all types create this sound. So far I've replaced the front struts, but not the tops because when I did they squeaked like crazy so I put the stock back on with the new struts. I've replaced the front upper control arms and ball joints, front lower ball joints, front pads, front rotors, front sway bar end links, front sway bar bushings and both front inner and outer tie rod ends....all of this on both driver and passenger sides. Now, each time I do work on it and let it down off the jacks, it is like holy crap its fixed!! But then a half hour into driving it or by the next day its back and I want to just push this thing into a lake! So like I said, the guy the day I bought it changed the oil and trans fluid before I picked it up. He had it on his lift.....again, it was great on the drive home but the next day it was there. All that's left is the upper strut mounts I could do again and the lower control arms. Also the steering rack but I can't think of how that could ever be the sound. Any help before I loose my mind. It's just a winter car for me but it's the third one we've had and now it's a mission to figure this out. I really do like this car a ton so I'd like it to be fixed and ready to go for the next owner. Help please!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
So I have read other peoples issues and before I give up and just sell this thing, I thought I'd see if anyone had any other suggestions. So I have a 2010 EX-L Nav 4WD with 159,000 on it. I bought it from a one owner for my winter car. The test drive was great and I'll get back to that. So, after a day or two the front started with this clunk sound. It's like a pool cue ball wrapped in a thin kitchen towel being tapped on metal. Thats the sound, muted but very noticeable as well as I'm able to feel it on the floorboard. Not that that's where it is but at this point you never know. So the owner I purchased it from new was super meticulous and did all maintenance and above and beyond. This sound happens on smooth roads with an uneven spot or crack as well as on bumpy and cracked roads and bumps. So all types create this sound. So far I've replaced the front struts, but not the tops because when I did they squeaked like crazy so I put the stock back on with the new struts. I've replaced the front upper control arms and ball joints, front lower ball joints, front pads, front rotors, front sway bar end links, front sway bar bushings and both front inner and outer tie rod ends....all of this on both driver and passenger sides. Now, each time I do work on it and let it down off the jacks, it is like holy crap its fixed!! But then a half hour into driving it or by the next day its back and I want to just push this thing into a lake! So like I said, the guy the day I bought it changed the oil and trans fluid before I picked it up. He had it on his lift.....again, it was great on the drive home but the next day it was there. All that's left is the upper strut mounts I could do again and the lower control arms. Also the steering rack but I can't think of how that could ever be the sound. Any help before I loose my mind. It's just a winter car for me but it's the third one we've had and now it's a mission to figure this out. I really do like this car a ton so I'd like it to be fixed and ready to go for the next owner. Help please!!
It's the struts. I only replaced struts and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the struts. I only replaced struts and the problem was solved.
I can't think that the new struts I put in a month ago are bad.....I did hit a huge bump at a railroad crossing right after I installed them but it's the same sound as before. I guess they are cheap and everything is new and easily comes apart now, maybe I'll put 2 new ones in and see.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can't think that the new struts I put in a month ago are bad.....I did hit a huge bump at a railroad crossing right after I installed them but it's the same sound as before. I guess they are cheap and everything is new and easily comes apart now, maybe I'll put 2 new ones in and see.
Hmm, I thought you had replaced everything else but the struts.
I used KYB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an issue with the front driver side suspension rubbing on the plastic fender well liner. I took a utility knife and cut off an 1/8" of plastic where it was contacting and it went away! This was after 3-4 trips to the dealer and new control arms, linkage, etc. under warranty....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts