Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out where and how to mount a FS 18in spare on the Xtour. Seen some nifty tow hitch rigs. I guess I can keep it inside the car or on the roof cargo basket... Just wanted to tap the brain trust here and see if anyone has tried and thought about it!

I would mainly have it during long extended drives where the roads and facilities are rough and far in between.

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Depending on what else you plan on carrying, I think a traielr hitch mount would be the way to go. A quik Google search showed a lot of trailer hitch cargo trays (some apparently strong enought to carry an atv) If all you want to carry is a full size spare (and perhaps a few extra tools to help with installing that spare) I'd go with a hitch mount adapter. This would be the simplest to add or remove depending on when you want your spare with you. It would also make it a lot easier to reach than if it was on the roof.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't know if we are understanding your question correctly. You want to install a trailer hitch for a spare tire? or you want to install a trailer hitch, and not the one Honda offers, and thus the spare tire would be in the way of the mounting, and then you need to find a different place for the spare tire?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know if we are understanding your question correctly. You want to install a trailer hitch for a spare tire? or you want to install a trailer hitch, and not the one Honda offers, and thus the spare tire would be in the way of the mounting, and then you need to find a different place for the spare tire?
I think what the OP is looking for (correct me if I'm wrong) is a convinient way to carry along a full size spare tire and rim (in addition to the donut that's under the car). I think the idea is to have an easy way to carry the extra spare outside the car but not a permanent instalation. a setup that can be easily added and removed as needed (like when he takes his CT on the rock crawling trails!!!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
The question is - the hitch is already installed?
We were thinking about the hitch for bike rack and just found that it is not the same easy like on any other car to install the hitch on CT.
Usually we purchased hitches on etrailer.com but there is no hitch for CT and for a reason - you need professional installer (dealer) to do the job. Even rear bumper and part of interior need to be removed. (how much it may cost$?$?$?)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm looking at having the dealer install the Honda trailer hitch and wiring harness for me, gave me an estimate of around $900-950 installed. The hitch and harness itself is about $450.00, so that must be alot of labor to install it correctly. Then I was surprised at how little towing capacity the CT has, only 1600 lbs. That's rather pathetic for a v6. Wonder why?

Oh and CC, your explanation does make sense, sorta.. LOL.. rock crawling trails indeed!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The link below is for the hitch at Bernardi Honda. If you scroll down a bit you will find a link to the installation instructions. There is a lot of work to install the hitch and wiring. With such a limited towing capacity, Honda didn't design this to be a tow vechicle. No prewireing and the underbody spare is in the way.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Trailer-Hitch-Crosstour__08L92-TP6-100.aspx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. I did a self install reese/curt tow hitch and I was thinking of using that sparetire mount that plugs into the tow hitch. I'm kind of bummed that there isn't an efficient and easy way to get that fullsize spare on the xtour.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only issue with that Curt spare tire mount is that it would obstruck your rear license plate. But the plate could easily be relocated to the mount as needed in order to avoid getting a ticket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts