Honda Crosstour Forums banner

First Oil Change

9K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  longhorn 
#1 ·
If you did your first oil change based on the Maintenance Minder indication v.s. a fixed distance, what was your odometer reading at the time? I would find this information very helpful as we are planning a major trip and would like to know how far CT owners travel before they do their first oil change - based on the Maintenance Minder. This would give us an indication of when we should see the "oil life" reach minimum and hopefully your information will tell us if this will happen part way through our trip.

Thanks,
Richard
2010 CT with 1500 kilometers on the clock - some city and mostly highway - oil at 90% -

#2 · (Edited)
My Crosstour was at 9,395 (and hit that when I got back from a week-long driving trip to DC from Georgia), but I went in while the maintenance minder was still showing 10%, so a bit earlier than I needed to. I believe that I would have made it over 10,000, but I decided to go ahead and get the oil changed because it was convenient with the holidays coming up. Bear in mind that mileage will vary for each driver based on how aggressive the driving has been, among other factors.

Your maintenance minder will come on at 15% each time you start the car, but you can ignore it by hitting the odometer knob on the instrument panel. It will again come on at 10%, and like before, you can ignore this notice. When you see "SERVICE" and 5%, you need to get to the dealer to get the service performed. This notice can be ignored. When you see "SERVICE" and 0%, the must get to the dealer as you are now overdue for service. This notice can not be ignored on the instrument panel.

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied - looks like we will be OK going from here (Vancouver Island) to Death Valley and area (Vegas) - and return. That will add about 7,000kms to the current 1500kms making it a total of 8,500kms (5,300 miles more or less) well within the distance others went before changing oil.

Richard
Vancouver Island

#9 · (Edited)
Just don't let anyone fool you... The days of 3,000 mile oil changes are long gone. Just let the car tell you when it's time to change the oil (remember, it's time when it shows 5% oil life remaining). And by the way, just so we're on the same sheet of music... the numbers I gave you were in miles. In other words, I had 9,395 miles on my car at the time I got the oil changed, and I was at 10% oil life remaining.

Enjoy the trip. I've got my flame-proof underpants on for those that still live and die by 3,000 mile oil changes. ;)

#10 ·
I got it! Miles are not Kilometers, and from your experience (and others) we should be able to go about 15,000kms before oil needs changing - I don't believe the urban myth that oil should be changed every 3000 miles and certainly Honda should know what's required for long engine life.

Richard

#13 ·
I changed my 1st at 7.5K and will keep changing at same unless driving habits change and will use minder as a reference. I use 0w-20 Mobil 1 oil with Extended Performance filter Mobil 1 M1-110 from Amazon. I started using Mobile 1 Extended Performance filter on my 03 Toyota Tacoma, a few months ago, and my oil was still clean looking after 5K when I changed it. Clean meaning: not nearly as dark (1/3 less?) as Fram had been on the 1st 185K miles when changing at 3K. Yes I realize viscosity might be lower regardless of color oil.

#14 ·
That's what worries me the most with these extended oil change intervals : the colour which is quite black (meaning dirty) after a few thousand miles, and that the oil gets progressively thinner as it ages, with an already thin oil to begin with.

To each his own I guess.....I know I won't worry about having old oil in the crankcase since mine gets changed at 5k.

As I said: to each his own. I don't mind the cost and besides, it's my time and money.

Extended interval oil changes are what most owners want anyway with busy lifestyles, and now Honda (and the maintenance minder) gives their endorsement.

Bottom line: everyone is happy. No need for upset at all.....:)

I'm not upset if someone want to go 10 to 15000 miles between changes and I hope nobody gets upset if I choose to change my oil at 5000.

Good luck to all.

C.

#16 · (Edited)
That would help and be revealing -- There's an oil analysis company here in Ontario that some of the guys I know use. It may pay me to become more familiar with it, I suppose.

What bothers me a lot, Ryan, is the colour of the oil much past 2 to 3k miles: It's not much less than totally black and being so thin it looks like it's not going to protect against anything.
It may be due to the relatively short distances I do now which amount to 15 to 20 miles per day with only the odd longer trip thrown in.
This has to be extreme use for oil lessening its lifespan which, as you suggested, could be tested for.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions, Ryan. Your experience is much appreciated.

Colin.

EDIT: Pardon the thread hijack, Richard. I hope it may be helpful to you too.
C.

#17 ·
I'm at 40% oil life left and at roughly 9000km. When I checked it a couple of days ago the oil was still transparent and the level was still good. Its definately different from the oil changes I used to do when I work in a oil and lube shop 10-12 years ago. Even my 04 Grand-Prix (which I changes every 5000km) always nice and clean oil when I changed it. The oil life monitor never once came on in that car and I took it to 11000km on one oil change once. The Synthetics oils nowadays are definately much better than the old school 5W30 conventional. Seing that many clicks on the car between oil changes does take some getting used to tho!

#18 · (Edited)
I'm at 40% oil life left and at roughly 9000km. When I checked it a couple of days ago the oil was still transparent and the level was still good. Its definately different from the oil changes I used to do when I work in a oil and lube shop 10-12 years ago. Even my 04 Grand-Prix (which I changes every 5000km) always nice and clean oil when I changed it. The oil life monitor never once came on in that car and I took it to 11000km on one oil change once. The Synthetics oils nowadays are definately much better than the old school 5W30 conventional. Seing that many clicks on the car between oil changes does take some getting used to tho!
Yeah it would take some getting used to.
My dirty oil isn't opaque and black like a diesel oil would be but just dark and looks so dirty. It may not be, it just looks it.
I've looked thru it and see its transparancy but no bits that I can see. To me it just looks awful. It may not be awful, but just looks it. An analysis would tell all.

It might just be that I like having new oil in the crankcase and feel anything else is not acceptable.
LOL, it's almost sounding like a psychological thing now......

The other thing I really don't like is the thinness of the oil. : It wasn't long ago that a 0 weight oil would have been disastrous in an engine and made it sound like a clapped out lawnmower...:confused:

I suppose times have changed a lot with engines and oils.

C.

#21 ·
About 3 years ago a Honda engineer spoke at an NSX gathering and he told us it was extremely important to wait till the Maintenance Minder recommended service for the first oil change. According to the Engineer Honda does indeed put a special additive in the oil of their new cars. JM2C

#26 ·
First oil change

I drained the factory fill at 598 miles and put in Valvoline 10W-30 Premium oil. I changed it at 3,597 miles.

People can change their oil at whatever limit they want, but for me it will be drained before 4,000 miles is on the oil. Carbon is an abrasive and if you want to keep the abrasive in your engine then go ahead.

0W-20 oil is for CAFE, not to make your engine last. 7,500 or 15,000 oil changes are to reduce your cost, not to make your engine last.

Go to Australia and see what oil they use in their Honda's. You will be surprised because they don't have CAFE.

#27 · (Edited)
The additive that Honda puts into the oil at the factory is a dye that will show up under a black light to assist with oil leaks. It has nothing to do with break in or the such. I've always been of the belief to change the oil (first oil change only) around 2,000 miles. When engines are first put together, especially these close tolerance engines, there are a lot of wear parts that are pushing and scraping together for the first time at different temperatures and different RPM's. This causes wear and metal particles into the engine. I believe it important to get these particles out of the engine ASAP, therefore the 2,000 mile oil change. So, I let the dealer change the oil the first time (Free Oil change after buying a car). I normally let the second oil change go about 3,000 miles, and then I'll change it myself and start with the synthetics, usually Mobil 1. Due to my climate in Kansas, being very cold in winter and very hot in summer, I'll probably go 0w20 for winter and perhaps change to 5w20 in summer. I then use the maintenance mileage suggester in the car for future oil changes. Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.