Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't happy with the fact that the geniuses at Honda left out the rear jack bracket from the CT. So for those of us who aren't fortunate to have our own lift (yes Crashmaster, that's a dig at you; I'm jealous :), who wouldn't be), I took a shot in the dark and got creative. Basically, the whole thing is 1" x 2" boxed steel made from 1/8" sheet. Everything worked out perfectly; including an anticipated bend in the middle, which just misses the exhaust. Based on design and placement, it will not slide or rotate forward or aft and will not slip or shift in any direction. The notches in the end pieces and the rear side rail jack points lock in and grab each other.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Very inventive Jay. It could actually be a sideline business for you, for other CT owners. Putting a lift in your garage is not all that difficult or expensive. I designed my garage specifically for a lift installing concrete piers under the lift column for this 10,000 pound lift. The lift itself was only around $3000. My wife and I installed it ourselves. I drag her into all my projects, and yes, I have to hold her purse when she tries on clothing at stores. Anyway, the lift has paid for itself many times over. Oil changes, brake jobs, exhaust work, engine or transmission work, etc are much less back breaking with a lift. Another advantage is storage. During hail or severe snow storms I have been known to put a car on the lift and then put another car under it for more storage. This way you can get 4 cars into a 3 car garage. I never have enough inside vehicle storage space. You also become real popular with your neighbors and friends when you have a lift. I'm not sure you can see in the picture, (a poor picture) but I designed mine so that the connecting part of the two lift columns is hidden in the attic above the garage. I even sheet rocked up the ceiling so that there is virtually no sign of the connecting beam and cable. Sometimes a pit can be just as effective as a lift. I’ve also seen some people who have improvised with long ramps that will get a car about 3 foot off the ground. The ramp was designed to swing down from a reinforced wall, so it took up virtually no space whatsoever. Hopefully, your CT, being new, will not need much work on a lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like it! I usually toss the scissor, i.e. leg remover, jack from all my cars and toss in at least a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic floor jack. Fortunately there's a lot of room for it in the CT.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Very inventive Jay. It could actually be a sideline business for you, for other CT owners. Putting a lift in your garage is not all that difficult or expensive.
It is difficult and expensive when you don't already have a garage!

;)

That's a great bracket! Very clever!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Jay,
Ingenious idea with great results, how much do you want for one?
Thanks for the props! Materials, shop supplies, labor, pizza, beer, beer, shipping for a 60 pound long a$$ box and, oh, I already said beer, didn't I? My guess would be $500. And that's just the beer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts