Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am about to purchase a certified pre-owned 2013 CT EX-L w/Navi. I am wondering if any of you have also purchased extended car warranty OR wished they have?

With a certified pre-owned Honda vehicle, do you find there's very little to worry about? I took it for a 3rd party/independant multipoint inspection and everything came back in the green and they didn't mention anything about signs of the vehicle being in a previous accident. So at least, I've checked those basics.

Carfax does mention a new information system was installed, but I think that's because maybe someone did an aftermarket OEM navigation install because a carfax check doesn't label the car as EX-L w/Navi ... just as an EX-L. But that's just a guess.

Have others have issues with their information system?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
83 Posts
used my extended warranty to replace front drive axles. worth every penny! was on the fence about getting it but super glad i did, as my 2012 was out of factory warranty when the axles started to cause front-end vibrations

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
used my extended warranty to replace front drive axles. worth every penny! was on the fence about getting it but super glad i did, as my 2012 was out of factory warranty when the axles started to cause front-end vibrations
That’s what I’ve been noticing with a lot of the crosstours there’s been axle replacements mentioned a lot in the Carfaxs. If not axle replacement axle seals. The car I got doesn’t have such a history only the replacement of the intelligent module system or the radio can’t remember what they quoted it as. That’s why I decided to go with this particular car.

Which extended warranty did you use, the Honda dealership or another company?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also is yours a v6 or a 4 cylinder?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Purchased my 2012 EX V6 Crosstour in June 2015 (w/40k miles) from Carmax and also got their extended warranty. (60 months or 125k miles $150 deductible for $1500) My first piece of warranty work was the front axle at what would have cost $1200 plus whatever the rental car cost was for two days. They said the axle issue was common with the factory installed ones.
I'm about to take it in for an AC check since it has now frozen twice and according to another thread, it is fairly common.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have a 2012 V6 EXL with 4WD (no navigation)

i used an extended warranty through my lender. it is with a company called Route 66. it basically extends any factory warranty till 100k miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purchased my 2012 EX V6 Crosstour in June 2015 (w/40k miles) from Carmax and also got their extended warranty. (60 months or 125k miles $150 deductible for $1500) My first piece of warranty work was the front axle at what would have cost $1200 plus whatever the rental car cost was for two days. They said the axle issue was common with the factory installed ones.
I'm about to take it in for an AC check since it has now frozen twice and according to another thread, it is fairly common.
At what mileage did you have an axle issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry, I was out of town when I saw the reply with a question and never got back once home. So now I've pulled the invoice, it was at 57,860 miles and April 2017. (purchase miles was 39,870 in June 2015)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry, I was out of town when I saw the reply with a question and never got back once home. So now I've pulled the invoice, it was at 57,860 miles and April 2017. (purchase miles was 39,870 in June 2015)
I'm out of warranty now - (five years of ownership)

Purchased June 15, 2015, at 39,870 miles (I hit 100k about two weeks ago)
April 12, 2017, at 57860 miles and got "Axle Shaft Assembly - both" for $1198.45 (shake when accelerating)
May 20, 2019, at 82682 miles and got "Evaporator Expansion Valve" $568.97 (AC freezing up)
Nov 20, 2019, at 90127 miles and got "steering gear" & new tie rods for both sides again $1842.96 (this issue was crazy. I was driving on a straight road, cold start (usually garage parked) early morning and the car would try to wonder another direction for a few seconds. It doing this each morning after being left in the cold. A family member suggested battery (thinking electronic) so I tested and replaced it since it was time anyway. Still had the issue.)

That's $3,610.38 in three repairs minus $150 deductible for each and $1499 service contract cost I came out at $1,661.38 saved. This doesn't include rental that is covered at 100% with a Carmax warranty and I usually had the rental over several days waiting for parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts