Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the car show, and i was told the Accord coupe exhaust directly bolts up to the crosstour...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went to the car show, and i was told the Accord coupe exhaust directly bolts up to the crosstour...
Which of the hot models at the Honda booth told you this? :)

And I assume you are mentioning this envisioning bolting up an aftermarket Accord exhaust to a CT?

Well, obviously - the part where they bolt up to the engine is very similar, and they do have a very similar hanger orientation on the final mufflers, whether the Accord V6 exhaust could clear the awd CT's shenanigans aft of the tranny, I dunno.

Looking at the Accord and the CTawd it jumps out at me that the system of resonators is very different (maybe for exhaust note, maybe for packaging reasons) and the CT is "quasi-true-dual" for much longer than the Accord is.

I would also be skeptical of an OEM Accord exhaust being able to bolt right up to an awd CT (I keep saying "awd" b/c maybe the 2wd is simpler?) because if it did bolt up, they would have used more parts from it. . .this is a company known for it's parts sharing efficiencies after all.

And if you add up the cost of the main parts, the CT exhaust is like $300 more, I don't think that's for it's beauty, but for the fact that they had to make new pipes and resonators to fit the CT's mechanics.

Maybe the final mufflers are sort of a direct swap (I say sort of because one of them is bolted on, and the other is a continuous part of the main exhaust plumbing in both vehicles. . .you'd need to do some welding and/or clamping to transplant it). But if I had to bet on it, I would bet neigh that the OEM Accord exhaust would bolt right up to the CT.

I would say that just about anything I've been told an autoshow is only loosely based in fact, on a good day. :D

-ace

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope i spoke to the GM, he said it should directly bolt up, but if it didnt hed find the nessasary parts.

Then again im not going to believe him, after all hes only the GM of a dealership and he probably barley steps outside of his office to view the internals of the car.

I still have a bit more research to do...

·
Registered
168 Posts
My gut says the dealership GM thinks "oh it's built off the Accord chassis, it should bolt right up." I doubt he does too much wrenching time himself. . . :)

First - if it were possible I think people would be doing it by now. . .

Second - look at the links I posted, put them on tabs side by side so you can compare, the piping really does get different and the Accord looks like it uses sorta generic can shaped resonators while the CT uses ones that look like they had their shape dictated by packaging constraints (IMHO).

The closest similarities are the front where it bolts to the exhaust manifolds (identical I think, I forgot to check p/ns though) and the final rear mufflers look similar (though not knowing the exact dimensions of them, nor how they poke out from the rear bumper compared to each other. . .I dunno).

Personally I like the poster (forgot who, when, and where) that had the Porsche Turbo looking tips (or "finishers" as classy people say), I think those would look pretty hot, and so long as it's a 2.25" (90% sure, maybe 2.5") inlet, anything should be able to be welded on to the end of the muffler in lieu of the stock wholesome Honda tip.

If you are looking for a little less backpressure (and by virtue, more HP) and a little more rumble, you could have an exhaust shop cut out some of the resonators and replace with s/s or galv exhaust tube. It will be a noticeable but not ear drum shattering difference. And much cheaper than doing a full exhaust.

-ace

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah my problem is, 2 summers ago, I accidently wasn't payign attention when driving once, didn't see a lamp post in my blind spot, and smashed up my whole back end.

Fast forward to today, I recently finished washing ym car, and realized, my exhaust was a bit crooked on one side. The OCD freak that I am, its sorta bugging me. The exhaust that I want, doesn't really sell the tips seperately (I do believe we share the same ones) it would make the job a whole lot easier, at the same time, if I order it, I don't want to waste parts.

I had no intention of ever slapping an exhaust on, not very fond of that ricer fart can, I do like a slight rumble, but nothing that could be heard from a billion miles away...
I do however like the infiniti's oem exhausts on a number of their cars.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Agreed on Infiniti - they really nail a nice performance sound (both inside the cabin and outside the car) without being obtrusive, at least on every Infiniti I've ever driven with the VQ 3.5/3.7 engine.

We should find a couple wrecked G35/37 and take the muffler out of them (I think on all applications of that engine they use only one muffler, even on the FX it's one muffler mounted longitudinally like in a Porsche 911).

I hate the whiney ricey sound too, it just screams moron. . .it irritates me just about as bad as Harleys with straight open exhaust (98% of which are driven by mid-life crisis males with less than 2k lifetime motorcycle miles under their belt).

So what's the exhaust you want?

And what do you mean "we" share the same tips? You and who? The Accords?

Take a picture of how your exhaust is crooked, I'm having a hard time picturing on which axis it is crooked. You might be ok with what you've got - exhaust tends to have some flexibility in it with the rubber hangers, and malleability of the hanging hooks and all that.

-ace

Yeah my problem is, 2 summers ago, I accidently wasn't payign attention when driving once, didn't see a lamp post in my blind spot, and smashed up my whole back end.

Fast forward to today, I recently finished washing ym car, and realized, my exhaust was a bit crooked on one side. The OCD freak that I am, its sorta bugging me. The exhaust that I want, doesn't really sell the tips seperately (I do believe we share the same ones) it would make the job a whole lot easier, at the same time, if I order it, I don't want to waste parts.

I had no intention of ever slapping an exhaust on, not very fond of that ricer fart can, I do like a slight rumble, but nothing that could be heard from a billion miles away...
I do however like the infiniti's oem exhausts on a number of their cars.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a greddy one, the spectrum elite one.

If i take a picture it wont show, one of my exhausts are pushed back furthur than the other one. its kinda werid to explain, but it sorta bugs me.

i can see buying an modding an exhaust might be bad though...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok - I took some time to very carefully look at the parts diagrams and part #s. The 2wd CT and V6 Accord exhausts are very, very similar (different exhaust tips BTW). They don't share too many, if any, *exactly* the same part #s, but giant pieces of the exhaust are like one letter or number off in the part # and it appears that maybe one will have a hanger in a different place than the other.

So the guy you talked to at the autoshow was mostly correct that the 2wd CT and the V6 Accord share a very similar exhaust, but only leads me to believe more that the 4wd exhaust is different due to mechanical constraints. . .I should get under there and just look.

I still stick with my idea of cutting out the resonators and replacing with open pipe would have a nice little effect, or you could cut off the mufflers and replace with universal Borla Turbos or something that have the same pipe offsets.

And I've always liked square exhaust tips for some reason, I think older AMGs might have first put the idea in my head. . .I see Borla has some pretty nice ones, I might go measure our tips to see if these would fit.

And, I only mention these ideas, because I think we'll be waiting a long, long time for a cat-back Crosstour specific exhaust to come out.

-ace

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeahhh... im very picky and OCD with my car. Hence why im spending alot of money to redo my window tint, and re-3M my car LOL. So choosing an exhaust would be something like this

The rounded tips, nothing rice roocket looking.

I dont know how it would sound llike... kind of sketchy about doing it... and having it sound like a disaster! =[

At the same time i also dont want to get 1500+ on an exhaust mangle it bits and have it look like trash and spend even more money trying to mold it to a car which it wasnt made for to begin with...

Ohhhh if only i had the money hahahaha

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ya I'm that way too on OCD stuff. . .I re-do things all the time and even a brand new car has stuff I'd like to make better (not talking about performance mods, talking about other weird stuff!).

I didn't quite understand - were you saying you liked that exhaust tip? Personally I'm a bit of a hater of the flame roasted stainless steel look that cycles in popularity with every iteration of the Fast & Furious franchise.

And I obviously don't even know what brand or model of exhaust that is so I can't say for sure, *but* I think it is safe to say that just about any mainstream exhaust designed for a Japanese import car is going to have that same ricey note in common. It seems like they all started off with Civics in the 1990s and really the only option to make 1.8 liters of fury sound any better was to put on a muffler that was more or less empty of any muffling, and that proud tradition continues on today! :)

Like you mentioned earlier though, I really do feel like Infiniti gets it right an awful lot. . .I'm curious what percentage of the "Infiniti growl" comes from their intakes and what percent from the exhaust. . .

Cutting out your resonators would be a very easily reversible process, you could put them right back on with 4 exhaust clamps. Actually even to cut them out you could do that yourself too with an exhaust cutter or sawzall, the replacement 2.25" tubing, and 4 of those nice overlapping exhaust clamps.

And as much as I like square tips like in my post above, I was measuring our tip last night (carefully choosing my words here. . .) and they both were about 7" long (Stock & borla) but the borla is gonna be a lot skinnier than stock, maybe half-ish, which might look weird in that semi-oval cut-out.

The mufflers do both have an offset/center pattern to them so there should be some universal swap-ability if you ever wanted to go that route.

I'm not the primary driver of my CT so I can say, with the exception of perhaps a midnight resonator removal some time, that's about as far as I could go on mine.

-ace

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Ya I'm that way too on OCD stuff. . .I re-do things all the time and even a brand new car has stuff I'd like to make better (not talking about performance mods, talking about other weird stuff!).

<snip>
I can't bring myself to spend more money on a brand new car that has nothing wrong with it despite my hankerings, desires, impulses and obsessions :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
i welded on a couple Borla's and used the factory tips looks and sounds good.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i like exhausts like that, not nessasarly in that finish. but the way it looks.

compareable to something like this looks like crap, im in for the sound the exhausts make but im totally OCD when it comes to loooks of an exhaust.

that in mind, ive pretty much scrapped the idea of putting an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
168 Posts
. . .
i like exhausts like that, not nessasarly in that finish. but the way it looks.

. . . .

compareable to something like this looks like crap, im in for the sound the exhausts make but im totally OCD when it comes to loooks of an exhaust.

that in mind, ive pretty much scrapped the idea of putting an aftermarket exhaust.
Well we're in agreement there. . .man it's hard not to talk about mufflers without sounding slightly perverted, but uh - I like my tips high and tight against the bumper, it looks ridiculously not fitted for the car when it's way oversized and hanging way down. And mufflers (in my book) are meant to be hidden from view. . .maybe because I look at a lot of pics of their exhaust, but your top pic reminds me of an E46 M3 from the bottom. Man I love stainless steel!

And can you please point me to the origins of the flame burnt exhaust tip phenomena? (Just googled it. . .10,200,000 results!) I don't really understand what "real world" phenomena this is modeled after - evidently something that occurs mostly in Japan. :)

My friend used to have an AMG C36 that had tips like this I thought were pretty cool . . .

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to be honest i have no idea where ti came from, but it looks very cool, until your exhaust tips are dirt as hell...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts