Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Crosstour EXL. I love my Crosstour but fear my car will need a new engine soon. There are several issues I have with the original engine setup. The 2010 Crosstour doesn't have the option to turn the Eco system on or off. It is just one all the time. This causes the cylinders to wear unevenly and much faster than usual. I would like to take this opportunity to upgrade the engine to the engine found in the 2015 Crosstour EXL. This set up has the option to turn on or off the Eco system manually with a switch.

1) Is the engine in the 2015 Crosstour ex compatible, can it be installed into a 2010 without changing anything else?
2) If I install the 2015 engine into my 2010, will this allow me to install the switch that allows me to turn the Eco system on or off?

I might be thinking about this all wrong. Your help and assistance are greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
820 Posts
If you had a 2015 right next to your 2010 and had about 3-4 weeks working on this full time, it might work. Swapping engines is much more complicated than in years past. Don't forget about the ECU, wiring harness, etc. My suggestion is always: Instead of swapping the engine, just swap the entire vehicle. Put your effort into getting a 2015 CT. Checking the price for a 2015, the price is between $15K and $20 depending on options and mileage. If you sell you 2010 for between $9K and $12K depending on options and mileage. As you see, the difference is not that much. Certainly not worth spending almost a month on swapping an engine and hoping it comes out good (they usually don't). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
175 Posts
2013-2015 are not compatible with 2010-2012. So the answer is no.
Both are AWD or 2wd sensitive.
Before replacing your engine, you might try S-VCM. This will keep your engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time.
https://www.svcmcontroller.com

Just an FYI, the Econ button on a 2015 does not disable the VCM. Econ mode simply acts as a governor, improving fuel economy by controlling a person with a lead foot. 😏 The VCM is still active.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you had a 2015 right next to your 2010 and had about 3-4 weeks working on this full time, it might work. Swapping engines is much more complicated than in years past. Don't forget about the ECU, wiring harness, etc. My suggestion is always: Instead of swapping the engine, just swap the entire vehicle. Put your effort into getting a 2015 CT. Checking the price for a 2015, the price is between $15K and $20 depending on options and mileage. If you sell you 2010 for between $9K and $12K depending on options and mileage. As you see, the difference is not that much. Certainly not worth spending almost a month on swapping an engine and hoping it comes out good (they usually don't). Just my 2 cents.

Thank you. I really appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before replacing your engine, you might try S-VCM. This will keep your engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time.

Just an FYI, the Econ button on a 2015 does not disable the VCM. Econ mode simply acts as a governor, improving fuel economy by controlling a person with a lead foot. 😏 The VCM is still active.
Thank you. I greatly appreciate your feedback. I'll check out the link.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the S-VCM on my 2010 EX-L and it’s been great these past five months. I have 165,000 miles on my car and only issue as a second owner has been the catalytic converter. Either try the S-VCM for longevity or as mentioned, get another car. IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the S-VCM on my 2010 EX-L and it’s been great these past five months. I have 165,000 miles on my car and only issue as a second owner has been the catalytic converter. Either try the S-VCM for longevity or as mentioned, get another car. IMO.
Thank you so much for your feed back. I really appreciate the support.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts