Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of oil should be recommended for my crosstour for someone staying in the tropical area of Africa apart from the 0w-20.
Secondly a gear oil recommendation
V6

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Recommending an oil in opposition to the factory manual is something most people will NOT do. What happens if there is disastrous results?

I live in Kansas and our weather is often very cold in the winter (can reach -20F) and then very hot in the summer (can reach 110F). Should and do I use the recommended 0w20 oil year round as Honda recommends? Is that the best oil for my car? Will that oil make my engine last a long time?

I feel that 0w20 is very thin and is a great winter oil. I put 0w20 into my vehicle in October and use it for 6 months. Then in April I put in 5w30 or perhaps mix in one quart of 0w20 and the rest 5w30. I only use Mobil 1 full synthetic. I run my vehicle pretty hard in the summer months and need to know that my oil will stand up. So far, never an oil problem.

If I lived at the North Pole, I might feel 0w20 is too thick and might consider switching to 0w10, (yes, they make such an oil). On the other hand if I lived in Libya or some other very hot spot in world (Libya can reach 136 degrees F.) I would move to a 10w30 during the hot months.

Am I recommending that you change from Honda’s recommended oil? Absolutely NOT. The above is what “I” would do and just my opinion.

As for gear oil, if it were my vehicle, I would just change the gear oil more frequently, but not mess with the type of oil. Personally, I would only use Honda gear lube. I’ve seen too many other gear lubes (synthetic and non-synthetic) mess things up.

Again, all the above is just my opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts