Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Engine Oil 0W20

64K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  CT Guy 
I at first had a bit of difficulty understanding the oil requirements for our CT. On page 333 of our owner’s manual under RECOMMENDED ENGINE OIL Honda states: “Always use premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal.” Using the word ‘Always’ is pretty strong language. But then on the next page under SYNTHETIC OIL, Honda states: “You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil;” I was not aware that 0W-20 could be found as a conventional motor oil???

A conventional oil by definition is an oil refined from petroleum crude oil that has been pumped from the ground. Meaning basically, a NON - Synthetic oil.

In doing a search for Honda Motor Oil 0W-20 I could only find Honda Part Number 08798-9036 which is listed as a synthetic blend (not a full synthetic) selling for about $5 per quart. I suppose you could call a synthetic blend a conventional oil?? The owner’s manual recommends Honda Motor Oil, which means Honda is recommending a synthetic blend. Why didn’t Honda just use a full synthetic? Anyway, I have to think that for proper break in of the engine, Honda did not want a full synthetic for whatever reason and instead is using a synthetic blend to help break in their engines. It bothered me that occasionally on various forums I would see a Honda owner complaining that even after 10 or 15 thousand miles, their engine is not properly broken in.

Until recently, 0W-20 was difficult to find. I know I have looked in most auto parts stores and such, but it is appearing on the shelf more and more. Wal-Mart had a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 for around $24.

I just changed the oil and filter on my CT. I used Pennzoil 5W20 (conventional oil) as my choice of oil and then also used a WIX Oil filter $8. I only have about 2,000 miles on my CT. I will eventually switch from 5W20 conventional Pennzoil to synthetic soon.

With the price and availability of 0W-20 now the same as 5W-20 oil, I don’t see why I would want to use 5W-20? Why should I not follow what Honda recommends and take advantage of the .1 better fuel mileages due to the thinner oil? I suppose if I was in a pretty much year round hot climate that would be justification to move to 5W-20 or even a thicker viscosity. For my mix of climate here in the Midwest, I think 0W-20 will be just fine.

Hope this explains the confusion in the owners manual a bit.

Well, my other car is a SAAB Turbo with 109K Miles. I live in Arizona, regularly 110F in the summer. SAAB recommends 0W40 Full Syn. I am really concerned about using 0W20 in the summer time on the CrossTour.

Why not use 0W40? Slightly better gas mileage with 0W20 at the risk of engine wear at high temps?

Yes, I agree with you. If I lived in a very hot climate I would not use 0w20, but move to a 5w30 or even a bit thicker depending on how the vehicle is used. For example if you have it loaded or pull a trailer. I would still stick with a synthetic, or synthetic blend.

HONDA wants your car to last long enough that you and others will consider buying another Honda.
I want my car to last a very long time.

Honda wants to convey the message that their cars have very low routine maintenance costs. I care very little about routine maintenance costs, especially since I do it myself. What I want is low REPAIR costs, and ZERO major component failures.

If Honda told you to drain your fluids early, they are admitting that dirt gets in during assembly and they are not as clean as they would like you to think, and that break in wear does occur which means metal particles in your oil circulating around in your engine. This could easily be a liability issue for Honda with such an admission.

I don't think that your Honda will blow up either way, but I know what I would do.

The factory fill of Honda motor oil has an extra heavy dose of molybdenum in it. That is their ‘secret’ factory fill ingredient. Not really a big secret, as just take a sample of their oil to any oil lab for analysis.

There is a naive perception that the owner's manuals are written by the engineers. They are written by lawyers to address liability issues and to meet government regulations. Second in line is the marketing department.

The engineers supply the table of specifications at the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.