Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for the it's 15000 checkup and oil change. As I was driving home, I smelled burning oil. When I got home I noticed oil on my garage floor. I took it back and they said that they 'found oil on subframe and tightened everything". Since then I have noticed that the car doesn't accelerate as smoothly as it did before all this and occasionally will hiccup while driving down the highway.

I am nervous about taking it back to the dealer again. Is there anything with what they did that could cause this?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would either take it back and have them do a full diagnostic on it, or take it to another service center and ask them if they would take a look at it or what to do about a questionable service. I would also call Honda Corporate office and seek their advice and file a complaint.

Good luck, and would you let us know what happens?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would either take it back and have them do a full diagnostic on it, or take it to another service center and ask them if they would take a look at it or what to do about a questionable service. I would also call Honda Corporate office and seek their advice and file a complaint.

Good luck, and would you let us know what happens?

I agree, and yes, please keep us up on the outcome. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After 3 trips to the other dealer they finally found it was the #1 spark plug. It was corroded. They changed it and it seemed to fix it.

One month on it is back. :(

Could it be some sort of seal that is leaked causing the plugs to get messed up?

·
Registered
534 Posts
It could have just been one defective plug out of a million. Don't worry over it or you'll become the hypochondriac car owner.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cbreedon,

I know this thread started almost three months ago, but...

Pop the hood, remove the plastic engine cover, grab a flashlight and look around. There shouldn't be any oil, residual or otherwise, anywhere on your engine. I know you said they found some oil on the subframe, but they didn't say why? Admittedly, the Honda V6 oil change can be messy. I had to make a makeshift oil blocker out of an old planting pot to keep oil from dribbling on to my subframe when loosening my oil filter on my old Accord, Pilot and Ridgeline. With the Crosstours, the filter actually drains between this little space between the engine subframe and the passenger control arm; it's easy to spill on either one. Chances are, and this was most likely the case, they were a tad bit messy and just didn't do a good job cleaning up. The subframe is hollow in some parts and once oil gets in there, it will flow to the lowest spot in the frame and leak from there.

Again, it's been almost three months since your original post. I'll assume the oil issue is no longer a problem. Is this correct? I'm attaching a picture. My finger is pointing to the area where the transmission fluid drain plug is, but also the flywheel cover (black part I'm pointing to). With your mileage, you should have no fluid here. The Honda V6 has a very tempermental PCV system and the rear main seals are known to go. Have you seen their PCV's lately? Big difference between those, say, in the 03 Pilot and the ones they started putting in the 06 V6s. If you have oil leaking from the area that I am pointing at, you need to say something to someone. I'm sure you don't though. Also, in time, you may see a little residual oil/fluid here. That's not great, but it's okay. You won't see anything in the manuals here, but if you ask me, a 50K mile PCV valve replacement in these engines is a must. It's a $7 part that will save you a potential $1,500 repair (blown rear main seal). Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thank-you Jay for a great post.

I didn't start the thread, but will follow your lead on this one.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thank-you Jay for a great post.

I didn't start the thread, but will follow your lead on this one.

I second this, nice write up Jay. And I will keep due notice in that area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My vehicle went to the shop today for a MIL lite and misfire. Replacing the # 1 plug took care of the problem. Do I see a pattern??:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts