Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having a problem with this engine now for about 2 weeks. At first, I thought I didn't hold the key long enough for it to properly fire up. But, after a while, it happened again, and again, and again, and...
I have not had time to take it to Honda yet, nor do I want to take it to my incompetent service dealer, so I would have to take it to a farther place.

When starting, and pushing the key to run, the engine would seem like it was being suffocated. It would want to start, but would not have enough power. Only once did it not fire up after the second time, which actually showed the problem 1-2 hours after originally doing it. I went to my local shop to get the battery checked, and it was perfectly fine. That was as much as they could do without charging. If I had to guess at the problem, I would assume there is some form of vacuum building up in the gas tank, or vent release valve(?)

Next week, I had planned on taking it in to service, I FINALLY HAVE TIME OFF! But, as I went to call my service department, they went after me right away, blaming me for a bunch of BS! They claimed I am using the wrong gas(prove it!), accelerate fast too much(WHICH I NEVER DO!), he said I might be out of oil(WRONG! It hasn't burned any oil in 3k miles! and I told him too!!!) The last thing he mentioned was, "'We' don't believe this will be covered under warranty."
At first, I thought I must have dialed a prank number or something. But then he said to bring it in to "see the damage." I just hung up on him. He must of had his balls smashed in that day or something! I would rather crash my car into that dealer than let them fix it! If that guy had been talking to me in person, he would be swimming with the fishes!

I know I remember reading about someone on this forum being a mechanic from Honda, can you PLEASE chime in. I haven't been driving the car since it last did it.

I am used to having somewhat lackluster care from my VW dealer, though, I have made good friends there, but I have NEVER experienced such crap, and lack of care for a customer. I don't care what kind of deal they have at the dealer, I would never buy a car from them again, and you can bet all my friends and relatives will be hearing about them! Poor honda.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Send me the info on that dealer. I also highly recommend calling Honda directly, you'd be amazed at what they can get done.

Check your battery terminals as well, I've never seen bad corrosion in the short time these have existed, but anything's possible

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will let you know more info if next week doesn't go well. I honestly think they have something against me because I'm young, and can afford that car on my own. I got that impression from the first time I took it in for the sticking door handles. Looks like I will be taking it in for service at Ganley Honda(the dealer where we got our '05 odyssey). They said to bring it in anytime before they close(didn't realize it was that simple with them!). Like I said, I will let you know what goes on next week. As of right now, I have more important things to worry/think about than this...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Man that sucks smh...

You don't have to go to the dealership where you bought the car for any service related issues. I got my car in FL and I live in NY and I go to the best Honda dealership (imo) in NYC in Bay Ridge. I had an issue in my 08 accord sedan where it would cut off while driving, and I would be unable to restart it. This was 2 days after driving off the lot. A tow truck took me to the nearest dealership for repairs. It broke down twice, first time in the Bronx and the second time in Brooklyn. The Bronx dealership had no idea what was wrong but somehow managed to start it and give it back to me (with no confidence). The car broke down in Brooklyn the next day. The Bay Ridge dealership knew what the actual problem was (ECU) by the end of the day.

Under Honda Care, you're in the system no matter what dealership you go to. If its a different company you just have to provide them with the phone number so they can call for the credit card information. But don't be afraid to go somewhere else or threaten to report them to Honda for crappy service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If what the OP said is actually true, it makes my blood boil.

I am CERTAIN that Honda would LOVE to hear about it as well. If that were me, I would've had some choice words for the manager of that Service Center, then I would have immediately called Honda and spoke to them about it.

It is not right to treat a customer who just spent $35k+ at your dealership in that way. Not right at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't remember if CT manual says anything about it, but my 2001 Accord manual says that if engine doesn't start, press accelerator pedal half way and try again, then engine starts release pedal. Try it next time.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Bummer on the no-start iggibar. Let us know what you find out.

And, young or not, stand up to anyone being disrespectful for no reason. You don't need physical violence, but, everyone has a boss.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bummer on the no-start iggibar. Let us know what you find out.

And, young or not, stand up to anyone being disrespectful for no reason. You don't need physical violence, but, everyone has a boss.
Army Dad is correct. However, that guys attitude is so grievous that going to the boss "might" not work because such disrespect is symptomatic of the internal culture at that service department, and possibly dealership, which begins at the top and flows down the chain.

A letter to Honda is certainly in order. Good luck. Richard:)

·
Registered
422 Posts
happened to me the other day remote starter... failed to start first time.. but 2nd time itts fine so i dont know what i should do

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it in today for service at the Ganley Honda center. I'm driving to Toronto over the weekend, so I wanted to check it in for service before leaving. Unfortunately, they couldn't find a problem. They said to try and record the engine startup every time I try to start it. Might get annoying, but my iphone4 is simple enough. I will say though, I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about driving it hundreds of miles away. You know I will be packing all the emergency stuff I can for it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
if u go to toronto and get stranded, msg me! im willing to help a fellow CT owner :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks bud :) I just made it back without a a single problem.Took 900 miles like a champ! I did get a voicemail stating to take it in to service on monday though, without stating why. I need some sleep!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks bud :) I just made it back without a a single problem.Took 900 miles like a champ! I did get a voicemail stating to take it in to service on monday though, without stating why. I need some sleep!

Glad you had a good trip. Keep us up on any findings please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine does the same thing every once in a while. Hit the key the first time, no start. Hit it the second time, it barely stumbles to life, clears out then runs fine. I know if I take it in, they won't find anything. It hasn't stranded me yet. If it does, I'll raise hell!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I took it in again today, because I thought they had discovered something(since they called me in). I waited for 2 and a half hours for them to check it out, and run some diagnostics, but everything checks out. The battery checked out to be running at above charging power(it's got power!). The only thing I know could be a problem, is either the fuel pump(my dad's friend has a brand new '11 Pilot that had a faulty fuel pump right out of the dealer lot), bad ignition wiring, or a bad alternator. Those are just guesses from my experience. At least they were nice, and provided for free food and delicious blueberry muffins.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I thought of the very first time it happened, but I has happened from multiple fuel-ups, with different gas companies. I was also told it isn't the case when I brought it up at the first service. If the fuel was that bad to the point where the engine could not spark to life, there's no way it would maintain a constant speed, or be able to give you the power when you need it. Such a problem is not existent on mine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did another trip, 960+ miles to Washington, DC., on thursday. No problem so far...
I hate being to cautious and nervous over the thought that a new car might fail to start.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It sounds like a relay may have a simple short in it, that only shows up periodically.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I took it in again today, because I thought they had discovered something(since they called me in). I waited for 2 and a half hours for them to check it out, and run some diagnostics, but everything checks out. The battery checked out to be running at above charging power(it's got power!). The only thing I know could be a problem, is either the fuel pump(my dad's friend has a brand new '11 Pilot that had a faulty fuel pump right out of the dealer lot), bad ignition wiring, or a bad alternator. Those are just guesses from my experience. At least they were nice, and provided for free food and delicious blueberry muffins.

I had the EXACT same problem!! They said it was related to having the "AUTO-LIGHTS" enabled as when in our Winters you go to turn the car off the lights stay on for a good 30 seconds and that is enough to suck the battery slightly to cause the car to NOT get the proper start-up..Anyways, this is what I was told. I had that problem about 4 months into getting the car and it never happened again. I am now at 27,000KM's on it and haven't had it since. The car will be a year old in August and I can say it is a DREAM CAR! Has anyone had to replace a tire yet? PRICY!!!!

I am having an issue with my IPOD though - I keep getting unsupported ver and no one can explain to me why - I just bought the IPOD so it's not an older version issue. I cannot get any IPODS to work at all.. I am so so so frustrated..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts