Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Crosstour V6 EX-L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2014 EX-L V6. I'm coming up on 75K miles. It runs so well but I know that soon, I "should" have the timing belt replaced. Last time I disturbed a good running Cadillac by doing it's 100K service, I lost thousands of dollars and the car due to poor service from the Cadillac dealer. So, I have a little PTSD over disturbing something that works.

Can this service cause major damage to the car if a mistake is made?
Should I have the dealer do it or take it to an independent?
Are horror stories common after this service?

Thanks,
Richard.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks. Do you think I should do it now or can I wait? I get different answers. What do you think?
It should be done at 60,000-105,000 miles. If it breaks your engine will likely need rebuild repair so it will need to be done. You probably have another 15,000 miles left before it gets close to really needing it. Another good way to check would be to take off the cover and see how worn the belt looks. On these Facelift Crosstours it is only 4 or 5 bolts to take off one of the top parts of the cover. I was looking at a 105,000 mile one (didn't end up buying it, it had problems) that never had it done and survived, but personally I wouldn't push it that far. I'm now going to go look at a 75,000 mile one (can't find any with less miles in the spec I want and can afford :() and I don't believe it was done on that one either, but personally I'd rather not worry about it and will likely do it very soon after getting it

·
Registered
52 Posts
It should be done at 60,000-105,000 miles. If it breaks your engine will likely need rebuild repair so it will need to be done. You probably have another 15,000 miles left before it gets close to really needing it. Another good way to check would be to take off the cover and see how worn the belt looks. On these Facelift Crosstours it is only 4 or 5 bolts to take off one of the top parts of the cover. I was looking at a 105,000 mile one (didn't end up buying it, it had problems) that never had it done and survived, but personally I wouldn't push it that far. I'm now going to go look at a 75,000 mile one (can't find any with less miles in the spec I want and can afford :() and I don't believe it was done on that one either, but personally I'd rather not worry about it and will likely do it very soon after getting it
I Have a 2012. Have done both at or around 100K , getting ready to do #3. 300K. oil change every 8k keeps those motors going.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some of these services depend on how much longer you are going to own the car. I'm in it for the long haul (I purchased a 2013 LX-V6 FWD (no nav) new).

It's been an expensive couple of years (and all this service was performed by a good Honda dealership):
2020-May - Replace alt belt/timing belts/water pump/tensioner @ 90500 miles = $1250
2020-May - Replace right front wheel bearing @ 90500 miles = $450 (this is a one off - not many people have wheel bearings go bad - was getting a loud hum from the front of the car).
2020-May - Replace starter (grinding) @ 90500 miles = $560 (thanks Honda - this should be a recall).
2022-August - Replace spark plugs/valve adjustment @ 103000 miles = $1260
2022-August - Replace all brake pads/fluid/turn rotors @ 103000 miles = $600 (to be honest, I got 40,000 miles out of the rear pads and all 103000 miles on the front, so not bad).

Maybe should have gotten the brakes done somewhere else, but the car was there. Funny, I will work on my boat's diesel engine (just replaced head gasket, hoses, etc.) but I'm loathe to do anything on a car.

Hope this helps...Bob (in So. Cal.).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some of these services depend on how much longer you are going to own the car. I'm in it for the long haul (I purchased a 2013 EX-V6 FWD (no nav) new).

It's been an expensive couple of years (and all this service was performed by a good Honda dealership):
2020-May - Replace alt belt/timing belts/water pump/tensioner @ 90500 miles = $1250
2020-May - Replace right front wheel bearing @ 90500 miles = $450 (this is a one off - not many people have wheel bearings go bad - was getting a loud hum from the front of the car).
2020-May - Replace starter (grinding) @ 90500 miles = $560 (thanks Honda - this should be a recall).
2022-August - Replace spark plugs/valve adjustment @ 103000 miles = $1260
2022-August - Replace all brake pads/fluid/turn rotors @ 103000 miles = $600 (to be honest, I got 40,000 miles out of the rear pads and all 103000 miles on the front, so not bad).

Maybe should have gotten the brakes done somewhere else, but the car was there. Funny, I will work on my boat's diesel engine (just replaced head gasket, hoses, etc.) but I'm loathe to do anything on a car.

Hope this helps...Bob (in So. Cal.).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe I am just overly cautious but I had mine replaced after 5 years instead of mileage (I have less than 70,000 after 8 year.). Might be wrong but my thinking is it is a rubber part. Rubber degrades with time. I would prefer to have it done sooner than too late. I had mine done at the dealer. I am sure others might disagree with my logic but I feel better knowing it was done and will have it done again at 10 years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2014 EX-L V6. I'm coming up on 75K miles. It runs so well but I know that soon, I "should" have the timing belt replaced. Last time I disturbed a good running Cadillac by doing it's 100K service, I lost thousands of dollars and the car due to poor service from the Cadillac dealer. So, I have a little PTSD over disturbing something that works.

Can this service cause major damage to the car if a mistake is made?
Should I have the dealer do it or take it to an independent?
Are horror stories common after this service?

Thanks,
Richard.
You are past due according to the age of your Crostour. Too bad you had the bad experience with your other vehicle and I can understand your hessitation.
I have more than 5 dealers to choose from in my area but only 1 that I really trust for something like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts