Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost receive the 'dumbass of the year' award.. - I've been dumping gas from my many assorted cans that I had gotten, in anticipation of Hurricane Irene (for my generator). Long story short, I accidentally grabbed one of my cans of diesel (my mistake of getting a regular/red can and not a yellow one since the store was out of them). So, after dumping about 3 gallons in, I realized what I had done and called the dealership. They said, besides not to start it up (duh), it all has to be drained.
So, after having it towed on a flatbed (luckily, insurance covered this part), it cost me $150 for them to remove and drain the tank.

PS - I have my 2 diesel cans very clearly marked, now..

·
Registered
622 Posts
Wow Tim, you did almost take my title.LOL! Glsd you caught it in time, theat could have been real costly. You'll just have to drink cheap beer for a while until you cover your losses.

Good story.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
dont feel bad it happends a lot except you didnt start it most people drive it then its even more $$$ to fix we have seen it i would say 10 times this year alone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Army Dad, and I'm glad I didn't take your title.. :)
But, I'll have to skimp somewhere else, other than the beer...
Luckily, the dealership told me that some lady had me beat as she drove her diesl filled CrossTour (with only 7,000 miles on it) and fried the engine. Insurance wouldn't cover it and she had a nice $12,000 bill...)

Wow Rusty, I didn't know this was such a common thing! (I'm feeling smarter by the minute...)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've never understood how people can PUMP diesel into a gas burner, the nozzle isn't supposed to fit. I could easily someone doing it from a gas can though.

Now I have seen quite a few people pump gasoline into a diesel, yeah that never works out too well. As a matter of fact one of our forklifts at work has been being repaired for about a week now, and I suspect someone pumped gasoline in it and tore it up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan - I too have wondered that. I can't see how it can physically be done, with the pump nozzle being too big, from the diesel pump. Really odd..
But, from a gas can it's a totally different story, as I found out..

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
they changed the nozzles they are all the same, in canada the sunoco gas station its hard to tell the diesel from the ultra 94

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gasoline into diesel tank

One time I pumped several gallons of gasoline into my diesel pickup on a trip before I noticed that the hose wasn't green! I drove over to the nearby WalMart (on my other tank), bought some oil and put it in the tank, drove back to the service station and completed the fillup with diesel.

Personally, I don't know how diesel fuel would damage the gasoline engine fuel system. The fuel tank would have to be drained and the fuel line and pump flushed out. I would then dribble fuel into the engine intake to run it until the fuel system was flushed out and the injector system was metering fuel into the cylinders. I might try a little ether first instead of the gasoline, but I can't recommend anyone on this forum do the above because you might start a fire or hurt yourself since you probably don't have the skill or experience. AND YOU NEVER USE ETHER TO START A DIESEL ENGINE!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I seriously doubt that diesel in a gas engine will burn it up. The engine will stop running and the tank and lines will have to be flushed to restart the engine. Many gas stations that sell diesel have smaller nozzles for automotive diesel which cannot take the large diesel pump nozzles---such as my Volkswagen TDI.

Mert Cheney

1 - 10 of 10 Posts