Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Not a CT owner... yet... since it really just popped onto my radar today, but WOW, did it make an impression!

We have been looking for a vehicle to replace a 2007 Toyota Sienna CE that is less than ideal for our family for three reasons: 1) it's too big for my family of three; 2) it's FWD and slid right down my hill during a snowstorm last winter; and 3) the driver's seat isn't comfortable on long trips for my 6'3" long-legged husband.

Over the past three months, we've test-driven a LOT of SUVs -- Mazda CX9, Volvo XC60 and XC90, Toyota Highlander, GMC Terrain, Lexus RX350, and our favorite until this afternoon, the Acura MDX. But the MDX is sooo pricey -- not just the initial costs, but the cost in lower MPG and required premium fuel. It's a sweet, sweet ride, and feels strong, safe, incredibly secure on wet roads. But for the price of a two-year-old MDX with up to 30K miles, I could get a brand spankin' new CT with most of the features I love about the MDX, including the rearview camera, 8-way power driver's seat, seat memory, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, etc.

We test-drove a 2012 Crosstour today and were really pleasantly surprised by the smooth ride and handling. It was fun to drive, and we had plenty of elbow room.

We've driven Hondas since 1985, including an old Accord wagon, 2 Accord sedans, 1 Civic sedan, and 2 CR-Vs, including a 2002 CR-V EX that we're still driving. I think it would be really easy, comfortable, and familiar to drive a Crosstour!

Have you CT owners found it to be comfortable over long trips? We regularly drive 500-mile distances in one day, and we really need something that won't make our butts go numb and leave our backs sore!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, I find mine to be very comfortable on long trips. It was part of the reason I bought it and sold my 2008 RAV4 which was only 3 years-old. The seats in the Crosstour are comfortable and the mileage increases on long trips. I've driven mine from So Cal to Colorado for the longest trip.

·
Registered
180 Posts
On long trips the Crosstour is the clear winner!
Over the last two years we have rented over 60 cars, and have found the Crosstour BY FAR to be the most comfortable, quiet, and less fatiguing vehicle around.
Our last trip was from Texas to Colorado. Highway mileage was 26 - 28 mpg, it had plenty of power, wasn't shaken by crosswinds, and attracted a lot of great comments along the way.
As a tip for you...be sure to get XM radio and the Navi option. It will make the time go by quickly and your trip will be very enjoyable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agreed on XM radio for sure!

Drove Hondas for years, favorite of all of them was a 1998 Accord v6 couple. I had two of them, then moved over to a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that I loved and kept for quite a while. Wanted four wheel drive and the ability to carry a bicycle or two, kayaks or camping gear, and the Accord coupes sort of weren't very good at that. Replaced the Pathfinder with a 2008 Nissan Rogue which was a good car that I never really bonded with. Nothing wrong per se beyond the drone of the CVT and not much power, but certainly not exciting or particularly fun to drive.

My wife finally said, why don't you just go get something you really like? She loves her 2010 Honda CR-V, and suggested going back to Honda since I was a Honda guy for so long. Shortly after, a 2012 4WD grey Crosstour landed in our driveway. I had seen an early one at the Honda dealer the day we were picking up her CR-V and remembered thinking, that's just ugly enough to be beautiful! Went back and drove one for an hour and that was it.

Great car. Tons of power when you put your foot down, but quiet as a church normally due to the excellent noise canceling technology. The Rogue was NOISY! You can whisper to each other at 75mph on the Northway in this thing.

I've had it up to Burlington, Vt, about three hours, a few times, Lake Placid a few, down to the NYC burbs a few more, and the seats are very comfortable. Nice and hard, but you still feel good after a few hours. The whole interior and feel of the car is very Acura-like, which brings me to the MDX.

Our very good friends have a few years old TL and a brand new MDX. Both wonderful cars. The TL has the best seats I've ever sat in, bar none (I do a lot of distance driving). The MDX is great and beautiful, but there's the premium gas and awful mileage. When you're sitting in the Crosstour you could almost be in an MDX - the dash and the overall feel are very Acura. It's not as big, but when you fold that back seat down, I can put enough camping gear in there for a week long trip easily. My daughter and husband borrowed it to bring home a new 46" flat screen TV last month - I swore it would never fit, but it did, and they took a picture to prove it!

Long winded, but hey, we love reading about these things! This has surpassed even that fabulous 98 coupe for me... I absolutely love the car.

The only two negatives we've found:

The passenger seat adjusts all over the place, but doesn't go up and down. The passenger sits a bit low relative to the windowsill. Not a biggie, but something my wife noticed.

The software for the Bluetooth phone stuff is the worst ever, bar none. The damn thing never recognizes a voice command, to the point I end up yelling at it before I give up and just dial the call. I'm going to mention this at the Honda dealer at the oil change, but I doubt there's much they can do about it. In the Rogue, you said what you wanted and it did it. This thing is terrible.

But on balance, a great job, tons of fun to drive, and I get compliments and questions on the car all the time. Taking it to Montreal this Thursday and flying off to Europe for a vacation, and I'm sure that will be a nice drive as well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just be aware that the 4WD system in the CT is not in the same league as the Volvos or Subarus.

If your FWD van slid down your street, there is a chance the CT (or any other vehicle for that matter) would have done the same thing.

I have found the on-demand 4WD system in the CT is superb for getting it unstuck from snow or sand or mud... But a true AWD system it is not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you CT owners found it to be comfortable over long trips? We regularly drive 500-mile distances in one day, and we really need something that won't make our butts go numb and leave our backs sore!
The CT is very comfortable on long trips, I regularly make long trips up to 1200 miles and never had a ache or numbness.

I am more than happy with my purchase, and I know I will keep it for a long time.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've the 2011 EXL, 4WD, and NAV. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of leg room. Smooth riding, very quiet and love my primo sound system. The only draw-back is the excessively large turning radius - almost like a large F150. If you're expecting nimblness in the parking lot or making u-turns on a road, find another model.

Vince.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all these great, reassuring responses! We drove 300 miles to a family reunion this week, and BOY did that just reinforce the need to get out of that Toyo Sienna pronto and into something more comfortable, preferably a Crosstour. :)

We saw all of ONE Crosstour in the 600+ round trip. It was white. We followed it for so long they probably thought we were stalking them... which I guess we were.

And now for some individual responses:

kyras: Glad to hear you find the CT comfortable on long trips!

combscoach: You've rented 60 CARS?!? Wow! I am definitely looking forward to trying the XM radio. I take a CD of heavy-bass-thumping music with me on test drives. I like my tunes! I'm not a fan of built-in nav -- I get so easily distracted by the screen! I looove the backup camera in the rearview mirror, though.

Xaque: I'll have to do some reading to see if the 4WD is the same that's on the CR-V. My 2002 CR-V is rock solid on our hill in wintry conditions. I know I could invest in snow tires on whatever car we buy, but am hoping to avoid that.

Popurhedoff: 1200-mile trips? Yikes! Our hips hurt and our butts were numb after only 300 yesterday.

blackvl: Vince, it's nice to get a tall man's perspective. My husband says if it's an 8-way power seat that's long enough to support some of his thigh, he should be much more comfortable. In the Sienna, the seat is so short (and has only 4-way manual adjustment) that almost none of his thigh is supported.

We're going to test drive a CT again tomorrow -- we've only seen the dark interior and we really want to see how the light looks.

Though I think we'll end up buying new, I'll admit to being tempted by some of the Honda Certified Pre-Owned 2012 CTs with less than 1000 miles on them that are priced at between $30 and $31.5K. Would a three-month-old car with that few miles really come with an EXTRA 12 months/12K mile warranty?

·
Registered
172 Posts
janiebegood,

I don't know about where you live and if there are many different Honda dealerships but if so, do shop around for price...

I was going to go to one dealership and was getting the deal they agreed to with Costco. I wanted a Glacier Blue 2011 EX-L without navi, but they didn't have one in that color. I decided to drop into a different dealership, just to see the Glacier blue since they had two 2011 EX-L with navi. The window sticker price was
MSRP $34,890 and Total Vehicle Price was $35,670 (including $780 destination and handling). This was June 2011 in southern California. Anyway, I went there just to see the Glacier Blue color but ended up buying a brand new 2011 2WD EXL with NAV for $31,460 before taxes and DMV fees. It was a deal too good to walk away from. It was also about $900 less than the "great deal" I was supposed to be getting by going to the dealership Costco had a deal with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wish you lived close to NC - I'd sell you mine. It's a 2012 with 5k miles on it - silver, black interior, V6, AWD, NO nav. It is a GREAT car - the nicest I've ever owned. Drives beautifully and very comfortable. Love the blue dash board. I just miss an SUV. My Rav4 was 'totaled' in December and my rental was about up & I was rushed to find a car - wanted V6, AWD - and with Honda, my only options were the Pilot or Crosstour. I'm single, so Pilot way too big. I researched Crosstour like crazy and went with it. I do like it, have a little trouble with rear/back side visibility, but overall I like it. I just miss the height of a SUV. I'm going to be selling it or trading it in for an Acura RDX. You won't go wrong with the Crosstour if you're looking for a CAR.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wish you lived close to NC - I'd sell you mine. It's a 2012 with 5k miles on it - silver, black interior, V6, AWD, NO nav. It is a GREAT car - the nicest I've ever owned. Drives beautifully and very comfortable. Love the blue dash board. I just miss an SUV. My Rav4 was 'totaled' in December and my rental was about up & I was rushed to find a car - wanted V6, AWD - and with Honda, my only options were the Pilot or Crosstour. I'm single, so Pilot way too big. I researched Crosstour like crazy and went with it. I do like it, have a little trouble with rear/back side visibility, but overall I like it. I just miss the height of a SUV. I'm going to be selling it or trading it in for an Acura RDX. You won't go wrong with the Crosstour if you're looking for a CAR.
^I did just the opposite. I had a 2008 V6 4WD RAV4 that I sold after getting the Crosstour. I'm single, too. I hated the hard seats in the RAV4. It was super fast and had a great stereo though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TLT, we do go to NC regularly since we have family there, but if we go for the Crosstour, I'm probably going to hold out for a red/ivory or an opal sage/ivory. :)

Good luck finding a new owner!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for all these great, reassuring responses! We drove 300 miles to a family reunion this week, and BOY did that just reinforce the need to get out of that Toyo Sienna pronto and into something more comfortable, preferably a Crosstour. :)

We saw all of ONE Crosstour in the 600+ round trip. It was white. We followed it for so long they probably thought we were stalking them... which I guess we were.

Popurhedoff: 1200-mile trips? Yikes! Our hips hurt and our butts were numb after only 300 yesterday.

Though I think we'll end up buying new, I'll admit to being tempted by some of the Honda Certified Pre-Owned 2012 CTs with less than 1000 miles on them that are priced at between $30 and $31.5K. Would a three-month-old car with that few miles really come with an EXTRA 12 months/12K mile warranty?
I would have thought that our hips and butts would have faired a lot worse off but the seats were actually really comfortable, every few hours I would make a small adjustment to the seating poistion and never had an ache or numbness. My Wife did not have any complaints either other than being stuck with me for that length of time. Of course listening to the XM radio on the comedy channels made time pass so fast.

Cheers
Pop

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We went back for another test drive yesterday and continue to be impressed. We drove an opal sage metallic/ivory interior EX-L 4WD, no nav. We did get a chance to test the XM radio which was, as predicted, all kinds of awesome.

Inside, the CT feels like a car. Outside, it looks like... a tall wagon? A short SUV? The MDX has a couple of things that I liked that the Crosstour doesn't offer, like a separate A/C zone for the back seat (at least the CT has a backseat vent!) and MacPherson strut front suspension (the CT has double wishbone -- have improvements been made to the comfort of the double wishbone since my 1990 Civic sedan?).

Overall, it feels like a lot of car for the money... if I can get one discounted from $35+K to 31+K. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
janie, I went through the internet sales department. I emailed to find a place with the car I wanted and then just dealt with the internet salesman. I think that makes it much easier. There was no BS, just his price, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I went with my wife to test drive the CT (V6 AWD). I like it but she has some reservations. Ugh!

Price - In my area, I got a truecar price of MSRP - $6K from two dealerships, which seems to be fantastic (assuming that True Car thing is legitimate)

Cargo Space -- the hidden box is great. Also, I love that I don't need to empty the vehicle in order to change a tire. The pillars and the slope of the hatch are less than optimal.

Finish - the CT felt great. My wife loved the interior of the car...almost Acura-like. The seats were comfortable and the ride was quiet.

Visibility - My wife hated the visibility. Too may blind spots for her. I hope that it won't be a deal breaker.

Unique - everyone and their mothers do not have it.

We test drove the competition -- at least the competition in our household. The finish isn't as elegant. The AWD system and cargo area are fantastic and better than the CT. Also, when we put our foot down, we were pushed back in our seats - another good thing.

There are pros and cons for both vehicles. We just need to figure it out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
just want to share my price back to late 2009, $31833 before tax for my 2010 CT EX-L w/ Navi :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 65 Posts