Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Glacier Blue CT with only 13,000 has Michelin tires that have "cupped". Dealer is contacting Michelin tomorrow. Meanwhile, that nice quiet ride I loved when I bought my CT is gone till the tire problem is resolved. Dealer says not to hold out hope that Michelin will warranty tires. Anyone having "Cupping" problems? Dealer said I was second customer in two weeks with same problem on CT...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I also have the cupping issue with the stock Michelins. Tires had been at proper inflation. They were not sure what caused it- tires were rebalanced and re-aligned (front right slightly out of spec). So now I also live with the noise- my winter tires are actually quieter!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm honestly not entirely sure I know what "cupping" means. The service tech ran his hands over all four tires and announced there was "cupping" going on. Tires have been routinely rotated, balanced and properly inflated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They rotated my tires again (after having already done that a week ago) and told me that they weren't properly balanced (which they were supposed to have done). They balanced the tires and sent me on my way. I immediately heard the thumping sound up front since the rear tires rotated back to the front again. The noise was way more pronounced inside the cabin when those tires were on the rear. I guess we use the XM more huh and drown out the thumping? Sheezzz...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Yeah- it has me thinking about replacing the tires next spring. Just seems too soon!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
cupping usually only happeneds when the car is out of alignment we just went through it with the 06 and up civic the upper control arms were too short causing cupping on inside edge (its not a tire problem)

·
Registered
622 Posts
15K plus and even wear. But, did need ground force balance twice to get a vibration out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This sort of concerns me. Although I only have a little over 3k on my CT and haven't observed any problems, I had a new '01 Ford Escape with tire cupping problems. Ford replaced them under warranty and I guess did an alignment, etc.. Hope this isn't a design defect problem with the CT.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm honestly not entirely sure I know what "cupping" means. The service tech ran his hands over all four tires and announced there was "cupping" going on. Tires have been routinely rotated, balanced and properly inflated.
Cupping? What are the signs of Cupping? A thumbing sound noise as you drive?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CrosstourJed - Yes, it is a thumping noise. I could hear it at 35-40mph and higher. The dealer moved my tires around so the noisy ones are back to the front - still making a noise. Just got in now from having the alignment done. Other than the handling feeling a little different, the noise is still there. So, we're heading down the path of dealing with Michelin I guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
http://www.ehow.com/about_5509983_causes-cupping-tires.html

Cupping is an irritating problem.I have kept a number of cars for more than 9 years/200K miles. Some tires cupped, some didn't. You could see where like every other section of the tire was lower or higher than the one next to it. I always had proper inflation on a high quality car (SAAB). If one tire does it on a car and another doesn't I would think it is the fault of the tire. I had heard years ago that it was due to bad circumferential belts that "slapped".

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm only at 1,500 miles on my Crosstour and have nothing to add. I just want to say Thank You to those of you who have posted. I would have thought tire cupping was caused by a bad alignment but I've learned here that it can be caused by other things. Good to know.

FYI, I do know that a new car isn't necessarily aligned properly. When I bought my 2005 Honda S2000 I was very disappointed in it's handling compared to my 2001 S2000. I had it for over a year before I had a highly reputable guy (Darin at :West End Alignment
(310) 808-9233 18008 S. Vermont Ave, Gardena, CA 90248) align the car. It was like night and day. It came from the dealership way out of whack.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm only at 1,500 miles on my Crosstour and have nothing to add. I just want to say Thank You to those of you who have posted. I would have thought tire cupping was caused by a bad alignment but I've learned here that it can be caused by other things. Good to know.

FYI, I do know that a new car isn't necessarily aligned properly. When I bought my 2005 Honda S2000 I was very disappointed in it's handling compared to my 2001 S2000. I had it for over a year before I had a highly reputable guy (Darin at :West End Alignment(310) 808-9233 18008 S. Vermont Ave, Gardena, CA 90248) align the car. It was like night and day. It came from the dealership way out of whack.
Next time bring the car back in the first year or 12000 miles. They will align it one time for free. (Then bring it to Darin the next time it needs it)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Next time bring the car back in the first year or 12000 miles. They will align it one time for free. (Then bring it to Darin the next time it needs it)
I didn't have any idea the alignment was suspect. Honda changed the S2000 from 2003 (AP1 VIN) to 2004 (AP2 VIN) so I thought that my 2005 (AP2) just didn't have the same feel as my 2001 (AP1).

But thank you for the info. What would one say to the dealership. :confused:

"My car sucks. Can you check the alignment?" ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cupping

I have 44K on my 2010 Crosstour. Cupping started at 20K. Dealer said not enough tire rotation although I rotated tires every oil change. Am in discussions with Honda. Michelin admits no fault. Very frustrating. Nice car. Don't like the noisy ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My CT is a Alabaster gray '10 with over 32,000 and my tires are cupped. My dealership (ds) said that all my tires are cupped since I like to rotate with every oil change. He did notice that the rear is more cupped than the front, meaning that the problem is in the rear. He has no idea and no dealerships are talking to each other to find a solution. There is another CT at the same ds that has this problem with less miles. My problem started about 15,000 (noticeable time frame) and was written up by the ds. The only solution that was given to me that I can have a new set of Michelins at half off dealer price.

Those that have a cupping problem need to get their ds to cooperate with other ds's. We are spinning wheels till we get this solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 - Replaced Tires

I too had cupping on my 2010 Crosstour EX-L 4WD. I only rotated the tires once in about 25000 miles. I also noticed some vibration with high speed (>70mph) braking. Dealership said I had some hotspots on my rotors. They machined all four for free and rotated the tires.

Later the same day I had local tire shop replace the OEM tires with a set of Yokohama Parada Spec-X. They also did an alignment. Biggest problem they found was the toe was out. That may have been the reason for the cupping. It makes sense because I always park on end spots and often tap the curb with my front tires. Need to be more careful.

The Yokohamas look awesome and they are very quiet. Check out the ratings, if you replace the Michelin's I strongly suggest these tires. Plus they're a bit cheaper than the OEM's. All together, tires, installation, alignment, and a lifetime plan for rotation, balancing and adding nitrogen gas cost me about $850. OEM's would have been easily over $1000.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
sounds like a pretty good deal to me ! i had the spec x on my pilot they were nice .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts