Honda Crosstour Forums banner

21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I heard from a honda internal source that they are aware of a half shaft premature wear problem that will cause the vibration issue.
Due to the ride height and improper design angle of shafts.
Supposedly at 12,000 to 14,000 km's.
Lowering it a bit may actually help to align the shafts and may reduce the wear issue.
That last sentence being more of a question than statement.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I heard from a honda internal source that they are aware of a half shaft premature wear problem that will cause the vibration issue.
Due to the ride height and improper design angle of shafts.
Supposedly at 12,000 to 14,000 km's.
Lowering it a bit may actually help to align the shafts and may reduce the wear issue.
That last sentence being more of a question than statement.
Makes sense. I have the 2012 V6 with only 1500miles I will look out for the vibration.

But on a side note my dads Buick used to do the samething found out it was the engine and trans mounts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
from the get go I knew that I did not have your shake, bit I do have some, however it's not dependent on anything specific to cause it. It was at speed, took it in because it felt like a wheel balance problem. They ended up turning the rotors and said it was fixed. The shake is still there but now it is mainly at 65-75mph, when I decelerate or when going slightly down hill. I plan on taking it in again because it does feel like a wheel is out of balance... But, it is not to the degree you all describe.. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had flutter at 20-25 mph for a while, but now i have ritmic noise from the wheels (sounds like tires out of balance or wheel bearing problem). I had my tires balanced every 6 K.:confused: Car has 23600 mi.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I really have not experienced any vibration but the '10 CT 28k miles developed a strong 'heavy grease' smell emitting from the right wheel well about a month ago. Car runs fine, no shake or wobble. Had Honda check it out yesterday and they replaced the half shaft on the right side citing that they observed a fluid leak. Still rides fine but when I got it home and in the garage the odor was as strong as ever.

Will bring it back probably next week

·
Registered
27 Posts
It looks that everything posted in this thread connects to another topic on the forum about bad design of front suspention, and, i think maybe front differential (CT has two). I think so because my tecnitian said that when he replased fluid in it at 15K, fluid was abnormaly dirty (black) but no metal shawings (thank God). Any thouts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
22 MPG Shudder Fix

Had the same shudder as described in a 2012 AWD 6cylinder. So subtle I didn't notice first 3 months and was using more accelerator too.

Took into dealer who drove it around to service area and came then came out and told me within 10 minutes that they needed to replace the front right drive shaft. They said they had customer with same problem before and took them a lot of time to find solution.

Keeping in mind the problem is subtle, I think they at least made it better. It's improved enough that I'm not going to take the time to take it back and say it's not totally fixed.

The ticket I received for the work lists parts as:

1 - 44305 - TP6-APPRM: Drive Shaft Assy, Warranty
1 - 44305 - TP-AOORM: Core Return, Warranty
1 - 90305=S3V-A11: Nut, Spindle, Warranty

Just noticed they charged me for Hazardous Waste Remove $.35 and Shop Supplies of $5.16! Not happy and they're going to here about it.

Shannon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Took my CT in today about flutter and "woop woop" sound comming from the front tires. Dealer check it out and is replasing wheel bering and CV joint (dont remamber what side, will update).

·
Registered
34 Posts
It looks that everything posted in this thread connects to another topic on the forum about bad design of front suspention, and, i think maybe front differential (CT has two). I think so because my tecnitian said that when he replased fluid in it at 15K, fluid was abnormaly dirty (black) but no metal shawings (thank God). Any thouts?
If its black that means there is alot of heat building up and maybe some boiling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update on my CT. Driver side front wheel bearing was replaced, pasenger side front axel replaced.Flutter is gone so is "woop woop" sound, and overall front suspention feels much tighter and smoother. I hope it will last.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Update on my CT. Driver side front wheel bearing was replaced, pasenger side front axel replaced.Flutter is gone so is "woop woop" sound, and overall front suspention feels much tighter and smoother. I hope it will last.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the update. Per chance was the bad wheel bearing emitting a nasty burning grease odor? I'm going round and round with thw dealer, they are cooperative but shrug a lot on answers. Had a half shaft replaced but the odor is as strong as ever. Only on the right wheel well, lift the hood and not as strong. Tire is not hot, nor are the brakes. Nothing obvious leaking, doesn't reach the ground anyway.

I'll listen for the woop woop too, wife drives it most of the time but I think I'll return and get them to check the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
weird smell?

Don't laugh but, after going for a drive I can smell a horse manure smell coming from the car? could that be a burning grease odour?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I never smell enything and no grease leak. BTW dealer sugested replasing rear controll arm with adjasible, because slight adjustment is needed. They said that they have been installing those on accords for about 1.5 years with sucsess. It will be aftermarket part but they say it is good quality.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I never smell enything and no grease leak. BTW dealer sugested replasing rear controll arm with adjasible, because slight adjustment is needed. They said that they have been installing those on accords for about 1.5 years with sucsess. It will be aftermarket part but they say it is good quality.
Why would they replace a rear control arm?
I'd be cautious with this....never heard or seen this - and can't believe it'd be covered under warranty, now or later.

gr

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is another topic on this forum talking about problems with suspention geometry.That is why. I did not metioned this to dealer, they sujested it. Adjustable arm will give you possibility to adjust toe and chamber, wich is not possible with factory setup. And you are right, this is not covered under warranty $180 per side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same flutter issue, software update seemed to make it worse

I bought my 2010 Crosstour used two months ago, still under warranty with 23000 miles. I love the size, comfort, ride and power. I did not notice the flutter between 20 and 27 MPH until reading through this forum.
I took the car to a dealer, and they applied a transmission software update. They also turned the front rotors and suggested I have the tires balanced. I had the tires balanced and rotated soon afterward.
We took a family road trip, and I noticed that the flutter had turned into a more pronounced vibration, not felt through the wheel, pedals, or shift lever, but throughout the chassis. Eventually, the vibration began occurring at any speed, though only after the car is warm.
Another trip to another dealer resulted in an unable to duplicate diagnosis, yet I can still feel it. One only needs to drive the car from cold and let it get to operating temperature to feel the difference, but they said they found no problem. They called a Honda representative who also denied a problem.
I intend to take it back once more; one step at a time. Is this a trend in a range of VINs? if enough of us complain to the NHTSA and Honda, maybe they will acknowledge and address the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2012 new CT...I love it. Got 4K miles on it so far with no "shuddering"...will totally keep an eye out for it now. Great forum here. Thanks, gents and ladies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I traded my 2008 GMC Acadia for a 2012 CT. My Acadia had started to do some sort of a shudder at about 20-27 MPH as well, being more noticeable on an incline. I was going to have it checked and put new tires on it, but a trip to the Honda dealer about my Odyssey changed that! Now that I have a new CT, I hope it doesn't start that shuddering too!

21 - 40 of 152 Posts