Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 4 cylinder EX-L Nav. I see there are a few 4 cylinder owners here. Can anyone attest that this engine is adequate for this vehicle? I'm coming from a 2012 Accord with the same engine, and I have test drove the Crosstour twice. They drive very similarly, except I know the Crosstour is much heavier. I'm concerned about passing on the highway and things like that.

Does this engine work? Bought it mainly for the fuel economy because I drive 18,000 miles per year. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My v-4 2012 Honda EXL NAVI hauls ass! The trick is driving it like you want it drive immediately after you buy it. IF you baby, the programmer will learn to baby it. Mine hauls ass and no problems passing traffic or anything like that.

Wheelman

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks wheelman. Interesting there are no professional reviews of this engine on the Crosstour from any of the major publications. Only found a handful of consumer reviews on yahoo autos. It seems the people that don't own the 4 cylinder bash it and label it as inadequate, but the people that do have one love them. I love my 4 cyl accord so I'm already there

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the I-4 in my old sedan was any indication, once you get it wrapped up really tight it will move right down the road. I don't think you will have a problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyway, I just got my 4 cyl tonight and it does haul ass. Drives just like an Accord 4 Cyl...really don't feel the extra weight at all. Had it loaded up with both parents and a kid and had plenty of power. Now lets see what kinda gas mileage this thing gets!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the 4 and it is fine. Test drove both and neither were rocket ships. The 4 will seem to lull you to sleep from 70 to 80 mph, but everywhere else it works just fine..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes...I agree. This engine is more than adequate. Matter of fact, I think it actually has more pep at start up from a complete stop then my 2012 Accord 4cyl. Maybe its geared that way? Anyway, I do highway every day and hit 80mph easily. From there, I pass cars with ease once that VTec kicks in and find myself at 90mph quite easily. So, my review of this car is 5 stars for the money. Lets see the mpg now cause I tend to have a lead foot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crosstour 4 cyl eng

I have had my Crosstour EXL for a little over a month now. It is actually getting better milage than th 2008 CRV that it replaced. It dosen't seem to have any less power than the CRV had despite its extra weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm anxious to hear everyone's opinion on this engine. It seems to be powerful and fuel efficient for what it is. I'm approaching 400 miles on my first tank of gas and this is comparable with my 12 Accord 4cyl. So far, I'm very pleased with the comfort, ride, handling, and interior space. The back window may take some getting used to though. Thank goodness for the color camera.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would love to get this thread going again with some input from those who have had the 2013+ with the l4 engine for a while. Is it underpowered when the car is loaded up? Make a lot of noise when accelerating quickly? Do you wish you had more HP? I'm considering one but having a hard time getting past the way those wheels look...

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I'm 2.5 years down the road with mine and I like it so much I'm going to buy it at the end of my lease in November.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ivanoski and L8Apex - Thanks for the input!

I'll be coming out of a Prius I've only had for a year and can't wait to get rid of. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and it's a very efficient little machine. But the 134HP totally zaps any driving enjoyment and the thing has zilch in terms of driving dynamics. I'd take my 2002 Accord EX-L l4 Coupe manual back any day. Unfortunately it had started to burn a lot of oil at 134K miles.

In terms of l4 or V6 in the Crosstour, anything will feel like an upgrade, I'm sure. After dealing with this Prius I don't like, I just don't want to compromise a second time around. I may have to go with the V6 for an extra $2K or so. the MPG hit seems to be minimal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Would love to get this thread going again with some input from those who have had the 2013+ with the l4 engine for a while. Is it underpowered when the car is loaded up? Make a lot of noise when accelerating quickly? Do you wish you had more HP? I'm considering one but having a hard time getting past the way those wheels look...
Had my 2014 EX-L for 15 months and still loving. No indication of being underpowered. I have had 4 cyls in 12 Accords and 2 CR-Vs and I place the CT EX-L head and shoulders above them. I would not hesitate to by another. Honda missed the boat by not including a Home Link on the EX-L, my only complaint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is a four cylinder Crosstour, I do like it. Seldom have I needed more horsepower. Driving in extreme hilly territory caused excessive down shifting so I moved to D3 and actually liked the sound of he engine and it solved the downshifting. Gets 29-32 mph at 75. Gets 19-24 in town. Did I say I like the car - I do.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Did I mention that one of my other cars is a supercharged Honda S2000 that lays down more than 420 rear wheel horse power (480 at the crank at a 13% loss factor) and I'm still truly satisfied with the K24 motor?

·
Registered
195 Posts
As most of you know, my CT rolled over 99k and needed the B134 service done. This morning I had that completed and was given a 2014 CT EX 4 cylinder as a loaner vehicle.

I was actually quite surprised with it. Not only was it much smoother but the ride was quiet and the 4 cylinder was quite fun to drive. Speaking of driving, the steering feel is a bit heavier than my 2010 and I really liked it. There was only one time today that I wanted more power but it did well overall. :D

My 2010 is PMM and so was the loaner. ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was actually quite surprised with it. Not only was it much smoother but the ride was quiet and the 4 cylinder was quite fun to drive. Speaking of driving, the steering feel is a bit heavier than my 2010 and I really liked it. There was only one time today that I wanted more power but it did well overall. :D
Same here, went to the dealership to upgrade the wife's 2012 CR-V to 2014. Sales guy suggested we try the RL, test drove a V-6 and the VCM was a quick turn off. They then put us in a Dark Koffee EX-L and that was a done deal. After 15 months I have never seen the need for more HP. Been all over the East TN and WNC mountains including the Tail of the Dragon and never had the need for more power.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts