Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Costco today and was going to get a few cases of Mobil 1, but noticed Kirkland brand (Costco Brand) synthetic oils on sale from $24.99 - $3.00 sale, so total cost is $21.99. I bought a case of 0W-20 and 5W-30. Now Costco also had Mobil 1, 0W-20 and 5W-30 for $29.99.

QUANTITY:
KIRKLAND comes in a case with two bottles (5 quarts each) of oil making a total of 10 quarts per case.

COSTCO MOBIL 1 comes in a case of 6 one quart bottles.

WALMART MOBIL 1 comes in one bottle of 5 quarts.

PRICE: (your specific mileage may vary with prices)
KIRKLAND: Kirkland was on sale at $24.99 - $3.00 sale, so total cost is $21.99. I bought a case of 0W-20 and 5W-30. This comes out to $2.20 per quart.

COSTCO MOBIL 1: Costco also sells Mobil 1 in a case of six quart bottles for $29.95. This comes out to $4.99 per quart.

WALMART: Walmart sells Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic for $22.38. That comes out to $4.48 per quart for their 5 quart jug.

Now, you are probably asking, is the Kirkland Full Synthetic any good?
Keep in mind that Consumer Reports doesn’t rank motor oil. About 10 years ago Consumer Reports said the brand was unimportant as long as it meets the requirements set out in the owner’s manual by the manufacturer. In today’s world of motor oils, I have to agree with that logic. The API (American Petroleum Institute) has an extensive sampling, testing and rating program. So if your oil has the API certification mark also known as the Starburst, you are using quality motor oil.

Is this the BEST oil for your vehicle?
In my mind, the BEST oil is the oil that meets all the specifications, viscosity, certifications, etc. set out by the manufacturer for your particular engine, with perhaps a little tweaking for environment. Or in another words, the best oil is the correct oil for your car.

What weights does it come in?
From what I could see on the shelf, 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30.

Kirkland doesn’t own any oil refineries. Kirkland’s full synthetic is manufactured by Warren Distribution. They are one of the largest oil blenders in the country manufacturing for Walmart, Amazon and many others. The API oil ratings are the same for both Mobil 1 and Kirkland.

What oil does Honda recommend?
If you open your owner’s manual to page 333, (2012 Honda CT Owner's Manual), Honda will state:

"Recommended Engine Oil: Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. Always use a premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal. This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving, and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute's latest requirements."

"Synthetic Oil: You may use synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil: if it displays the API certification seal, and if is the proper weight. You must follow the oil and filter change intervals shown on the information display."

Having been a Mobil 1 user for all my cars for as long as I can remember, I see no reason why I should not change and start using Kirkland Full Synthetic.

At this price, I’m going back and picking up perhaps 5 or 6 more cases.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
331 Posts
I saw it and wondered myself. Now on my list for acquisition during the next Costco trip. Thanks for all of the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Went to Costco today and was going to get a few cases of Mobil 1, but noticed Kirkland brand (Costco Brand) synthetic oils on sale from $24.99 - $3.00 sale, so total cost is $21.99. I bought a case of 0W-20 and 5W-30. Now Costco also had Mobil 1, 0W-20 and 5W-30 for $29.99.

QUANTITY:
KIRKLAND comes in a case with two bottles (5 quarts each) of oil making a total of 10 quarts per case.

COSTCO MOBIL 1 comes in a case of 6 one quart bottles.

WALMART MOBIL 1 comes in one bottle of 5 quarts.

PRICE: (your specific mileage may vary with prices)
KIRKLAND: Kirkland was on sale at $24.99 - $3.00 sale, so total cost is $21.99. I bought a case of 0W-20 and 5W-30. This comes out to $2.20 per quart.

COSTCO MOBIL 1: Costco also sells Mobil 1 in a case of six quart bottles for $29.95. This comes out to $4.99 per quart.

WALMART: Walmart sells Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic for $22.38. That comes out to $4.48 per quart for their 5 quart jug.

Now, you are probably asking, is the Kirkland Full Synthetic any good?
Keep in mind that Consumer Reports doesn’t rank motor oil. About 10 years ago Consumer Reports said the brand was unimportant as long as it meets the requirements set out in the owner’s manual by the manufacturer. In today’s world of motor oils, I have to agree with that logic. The API (American Petroleum Institute) has an extensive sampling, testing and rating program. So if your oil has the API certification mark also known as the Starburst, you are using quality motor oil.

Is this the BEST oil for your vehicle?
In my mind, the BEST oil is the oil that meets all the specifications, viscosity, certifications, etc. set out by the manufacturer for your particular engine, with perhaps a little tweaking for environment. Or in another words, the best oil is the correct oil for your car.

What weights does it come in?
From what I could see on the shelf, 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30.

Kirkland doesn’t own any oil refineries. Kirkland’s full synthetic is manufactured by Warren Distribution. They are one of the largest oil blenders in the country manufacturing for Walmart, Amazon and many others. The API oil ratings are the same for both Mobil 1 and Kirkland.

What oil does Honda recommend?
If you open your owner’s manual to page 333, (2012 Honda CT Owner's Manual), Honda will state:

"Recommended Engine Oil: Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. Always use a premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal. This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving, and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute's latest requirements."

"Synthetic Oil: You may use synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil: if it displays the API certification seal, and if is the proper weight. You must follow the oil and filter change intervals shown on the information display."

Having been a Mobil 1 user for all my cars for as long as I can remember, I see no reason why I should not change and start using Kirkland Full Synthetic.

At this price, I’m going back and picking up perhaps 5 or 6 more cases.
After watching this project farm video, I came to realize that my most of my CT oil loss was because of evaporation. My 232k mile CT (at the time) for the last 50k miles had been plagued with the trouble codes P0420 and P0430. The catalytic converters were not doing the job. My engine was seemingly running fine. Well the #1 culprit was the VCM operation. Oil was making it's way through my open valves when cylinders lay dormant. This was corrected by disabling this feature with S-VCM. But this condition was not being helped by my choice of oil. My Mobil 1 oil was evaporating. Some oils are not as resilient than others. I'm now using this Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil. I've also switched to 5w30. Since these changes, my 244k mile CT has been engine code free for 14k miles. 😊

·
Super Moderator
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you are 100% right. I would not call it evaporation, but more pushed out of the cylinder. Changing to a thicker 5W-30 is the absolute best way to fix it. I travel in very hot areas in the summer and some very cold areas in the winter. Therefore, I more to about a 5W30 in the summer and then go back to a 0W-20 or 0W-30 in the winter. Works great!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, you are 100% right. I would not call it evaporation, but more pushed out of the cylinder. Changing to a thicker 5W-30 is the absolute best way to fix it. I travel in very hot areas in the summer and some very cold areas in the winter. Therefore, I more to about a 5W30 in the summer and then go back to a 0W-20 or 0W-30 in the winter. Works great!
I have to credit Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil for some of it. I was using Mobil 1 Extended Performance. It's known for high evaporation. I was topping almost a quart between oil changes. I'll never use it again.
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 5w30.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts