Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I am wrong but the NAV screen is just a monitor in which case cant one connect a DVD player to it? Anyone out there done this?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Illegal, no monitor can display movies or anything like that and still be in view of the driver.

There is an adapter, but if you don't know what you're doing, you will have warranty issues, and probably cause a fire.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've read about ppl who have done that, the problem though is that your viewing it on a screen with not the greatest of resoultion. sure it's illegal, and yes it would work with some wiring and configuring, but the quality is not there, so why do it, unless its just to say you did it. LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
New here...2010 CT EX-L w/Nav.

It surprises me that nobody has added more to this thread. There is DEFINITELY a way to be able to watch dvds and movie files through the factory nav monitor while you are driving. Yes it is illegal, but everything thats fun is illegal so who cares. And its NOT correct that the video quality is somehow hampered b/c the screen is only a nav screen. The fact is the screen is no different than any other monitor screen for video that you would get on any other device (i.e. rear seat dvd, computer screen, etc.), its just that Honda only has it hooked up to a nav system from the factory. Here are two links to two different companies that manufacture the interface that unlocks the video-in-motion for the factory nav.

http://navtv.com/product.php?ProductID=32

http://www.navtool.com/

I hope this helps...

D.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Me thinks that most of us chose to error on the 'not fun' side rather than the illegal side. The fun side ends when you are distracted and hurt others as a result.

No lecture here, as a teenager always drank with a beer in hand. And all the cops did was confiscate the beer and take it home for themselves. Times change, never thought much of the consequences then, but realize my T-shirt should have had 'dumb$ass all over it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can see it as being fun if, on a long trip - I decide to rest at a rest stop and was able to watch a movie before dozing off. Or if I'm camping or outdoors... and the part of me that's not so outdoorsie wants to catch a flick or tune in to the local news... other than that... It really wouldn't serve much of a purpose.

... Now that I think of it. My laptop plays HD quality movies and I can just hook it into the ac-adapter power converter ... why jumble with my cars innards??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Me thinks that most of us chose to error on the 'not fun' side rather than the illegal side. The fun side ends when you are distracted and hurt others as a result.

No lecture here, as a teenager always drank with a beer in hand. And all the cops did was confiscate the beer and take it home for themselves. Times change, never thought much of the consequences then, but realize my T-shirt should have had 'dumb$ass all over it.

Dad...Is that you??

I've seen the video question asked a few times on here and all I did was answer it. I'm a 40 yr old man who's driven over 750,000 miles in my life and I understand what it means to drive responsibly. That having been said no two drivers are the same...some can drive in any circumstance there is and others aren't capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. So what is one mans carelessness is another mans no big deal.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Dad...Is that you??

I've seen the video question asked a few times on here and all I did was answer it. I'm a 40 yr old man who's driven over 750,000 miles in my life and I understand what it means to drive responsibly. That having been said no two drivers are the same...some can drive in any circumstance there is and others aren't capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. So what is one mans carelessness is another mans no big deal.

Yes Son, it's me! Please call your Mother , she's worried.

I'm 60, drove more miles than you, and well, can chew gum and stand. No problem with your 'no big deal'. Yes, there are uses for responsible people, but using a monitor while driving is irresponsible.

That said, no direct accusation on you, I answered that I felt it was dangerous and illegal.

Oh, and please, no more socks and ties for Christmas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes Son, it's me! Please call your Mother , she's worried.

I'm 60, drove more miles than you, and well, can chew gum and stand. No problem with your 'no big deal'. Yes, there are uses for responsible people, but using a monitor while driving is irresponsible.

That said, no direct accusation on you, I answered that I felt it was dangerous and illegal.

Oh, and please, no more socks and ties for Christmas.

I think we will have to agree to disagree here. Reason being is if according to your rationale that "using a monitor while driving is irresponsible" is true then car companies are being irresponsible by putting navigation systems, and even stereos for that matter in our cars. In most vehicles now both systems use monitors and I would argue are far more dangerous than having a movie playing while you're driving. Nav systems give you a whole host of options you can use and be distracted with while driving, and stereos have become worse yet. With those you get flipping radio stations, fumbling around with cd's, screwing around with ipods and flipping through them too. And movies? Insert disk, listen for two hours, and maybe watch at stoplights, and don't touch a thing while you're driving.

As I said before, some people are equipped to handle it and some people aren't. But I would also argue that if you aren't equipped then driving may not be the best thing for you in the first place, b/c driving by its very nature is the epitome of multitasking.

Oh, and noted...no more socks and ties for Christmas. I will become more creative.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think we will have to agree to disagree here. Reason being is if according to your rationale that "using a monitor while driving is irresponsible" is true then car companies are being irresponsible by putting navigation systems, and even stereos for that matter in our cars. In most vehicles now both systems use monitors and I would argue are far more dangerous than having a movie playing while you're driving. Nav systems give you a whole host of options you can use and be distracted with while driving, and stereos have become worse yet. With those you get flipping radio stations, fumbling around with cd's, screwing around with ipods and flipping through them too. And movies? Insert disk, listen for two hours, and maybe watch at stoplights, and don't touch a thing while you're driving.

As I said before, some people are equipped to handle it and some people aren't. But I would also argue that if you aren't equipped then driving may not be the best thing for you in the first place, b/c driving by its very nature is the epitome of multitasking.

Oh, and noted...no more socks and ties for Christmas. I will become more creative.
We don't disagree that there are irrational people driving and allowing all kinds of objects to distract them. And you are correct, (wow, when would a Dad ever say that, lol), personal responsibility is the answer.Yep, the old geezer here was upset when the navi in the Lexus did not allow any changes while the vehicle was moving. I felt they had no right to suggest that I would be irresponsible.

Then I see people with all kinds of electronics being played with while driving and the conflict begins. And the only fear is that they will injure others.

This pendulum of personal rights has always been there trying to be trumped by a 'for the good of the majority.' Still a conflict at times, depends when the blood pressure kicks in.

For Christmas how about a mag with Miss December? Leave it in the garage and don't tell your Mother.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We don't disagree that there are irrational people driving and allowing all kinds of objects to distract them. And you are correct, (wow, when would a Dad ever say that, lol), personal responsibility is the answer.Yep, the old geezer here was upset when the navi in the Lexus did not allow any changes while the vehicle was moving. I felt they had no right to suggest that I would be irresponsible.

Then I see people with all kinds of electronics being played with while driving and the conflict begins. And the only fear is that they will injure others.

This pendulum of personal rights has always been there trying to be trumped by a 'for the good of the majority.' Still a conflict at times, depends when the blood pressure kicks in.

For Christmas how about a mag with Miss December? Leave it in the garage and don't tell your Mother.
Definitely agreed...the lack of personal responsibility while driving is a huge issue. And you are correct that the law is there for our protection...unfortunately to protect us from ourselves too many times.

Miss December is a done deal. You will find her in the toolbox (we both know mom will never go in there). ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts