Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just got a 2012 CT 2.4L and definitely want to add any more ponies!!! But looking around they only make them for the V6 engines. Any one know if the 2.4L will be able to take the 2012 accord 2.4L CAI? I'm a noob when it comes to mods and cars. HELP PLEASE :)

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
There really are not any extra ponies in your 2.4L without sacrificing something else. A CAI is not going to give you more HP or Torque. It will flow the same amount of air as your stock air filter, and your stock air filter will actually do it better. The CAI is not a magical device that acts like a supercharger or turbocharger. The CAI will look pretty under your hood and will also give you a more Vroom sound, but it won’t add HP or Torque unless you are comparing this to a stock clogged air filter. With a 2012 CT 2.4L, without tampering with anything that could void your warranty, there really is not much you can do to increase performance.

Actually, from recent reports I have read, a CAI can actually cost you HP and Torque. Many of the CAI installations have the hot radiator air and/or engine heat being picked up by the CAI. Also this radiator and engine heat can heat up the metal CAI tube up to temperatures over 250 degrees F. This quickly changes the CAI into a HAI (Hot Air Intake) which is not good and can cause you to lose HP and Torque.

The bottom line, which you probably don’t want to hear is that you purchased a fuel efficient vehicle and to now try and transform that into a high performance beast is just not feasible without major alterations and costs.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
awwwwwwww :( ... thanks though
Don’t be too sad. Every time you pass a gas station with your fuel efficient 2.4L engine you can laugh at all the high performance Mustangs and Camaros filling up their ponies.......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys just got a 2012 CT 2.4L and definitely want to add any more ponies!!! But looking around they only make them for the V6 engines. Any one know if the 2.4L will be able to take the 2012 accord 2.4L CAI? I'm a noob when it comes to mods and cars. HELP PLEASE :)
Any aftermarket 2.4L Accord from the same generation intake will work (Takeda, K&N, etc), it will offer a different sound as the car should breathe better and be less restrictive than the stock intake filter and box but don 't expect power increase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the accord kit from K&N fits perfect.No seat of the pants gains but a tiny bit better mileage,but that could be synthetic switch and engine break in as well I am just passing 5000 now

·
Registered
66 Posts
There really are not any extra ponies in your 2.4L without sacrificing something else. A CAI is not going to give you more HP or Torque. It will flow the same amount of air as your stock air filter, and your stock air filter will actually do it better. The CAI is not a magical device that acts like a supercharger or turbocharger. The CAI will look pretty under your hood and will also give you a more Vroom sound, but it won’t add HP or Torque unless you are comparing this to a stock clogged air filter. With a 2012 CT 2.4L, without tampering with anything that could void your warranty, there really is not much you can do to increase performance.

Actually, from recent reports I have read, a CAI can actually cost you HP and Torque. Many of the CAI installations have the hot radiator air and/or engine heat being picked up by the CAI. Also this radiator and engine heat can heat up the metal CAI tube up to temperatures over 250 degrees F. This quickly changes the CAI into a HAI (Hot Air Intake) which is not good and can cause you to lose HP and Torque.

The bottom line, which you probably don’t want to hear is that you purchased a fuel efficient vehicle and to now try and transform that into a high performance beast is just not feasible without major alterations and costs.
Excellent post, thank you! I find the whole performance enhancement topic on this car and the CAI topic in particular, to be a bit silly. Who buys a CT as a sports car? Do they also disable the active sound control in the interior? Sheesh!

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
I've come across a few vehicles (not Crosstours) that had CAI's and after going through numerous puddles, splashed enough water onto the air filter to cause the engine to die. Some CAI's have a screen or splash guard to prevent this and some do not. Just something to be watchful of.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This basic message deserves repeating... Bolting anything on any modern engine is not going to do much of anything. All modern computers are adaptive, and programmed to maintain preset parameters. You add more air... the computer adjusts to maintain it's programming. Bolt enough stuff on and you will actually kill horsepower. Example.. made a fool out of Mr. Cool in his loud WRX with a 3.6 equipped Chrysler Town and Country... LOL

That said, do some research and you will find that there is a ton of potential performance out of the Honda 2.4. Just need to spend some $$ and do it from the computer on out. Mods at that level will normally void your warranty.

Never tweaked a 2.4, but once out of warranty I tweaked my Chrysler 5.7 from a factory 345HP all the way up to 380. Without going very deep.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
RV6 makes a downpipe for the accord that you might be able to use.
*If you're actually looking to get into performance parts...*

I didn't get the pre-cat delete (PCD for my V6 is equivalent of Downpipe for I4), but instead I got a Hight Flow Pre-Cat, and a Honda Pilot's J-Pipe with an added High Flow Cat (since the accord pipes were all cat deletes, and I didn't want the smell).

I don't know about the I4, but the V6 did get a tiny bit more on the low end with all my mods, the sound isn't as loud as with just the Short Ram Intake (unless you go racing, I don't recommend CAI)... but it has a much better tone, and a Whistle from the Intake Manifold Spacer.

I think Bolt-Ons without a tune might not add power, but may change the curve of the power delivery... my 0-60 times have definitely gotten better by just over 0.3-0.5 seconds.

I haven't driven an I4 much, but last time I drove a rental, I remember stepping on it on the highway and getting pretty high RPMs before the car really got going...

So maybe you don't want to shift power to a lower portion of the power band...
Even when I floor it for 0-60 times, I'm not even close to red-line before I'm up to speed... I might be spending 0.5 to 1 second in the "high RPM range".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts