Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I bought a 2015 Crosstour EXL this past October -certified pre-owned from a dealership. 30K miles.
I’m now looking at a 2K bill to fix a corroded cabin harness. Not my fault, just bad luck. It’s not a covered part under the CPO warranty.
Has anyone else had a cabin harness issue like this? And has anyone had any luck getting Honda corporate to cover an issue?

Hopefully this doesn’t portend more problems, I love my Crosstour otherwise.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
773 Posts
I can think of only one reason why this corroded.
I would look for signs of this being a flooded vehicle. Does the vehicle smell musty inside on a very hot day? Does the Carfax suggest anything?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh. Carfax is clean. I bought it in October and live in Vermont so I haven’t had it during a hot day yet.

·
Super Moderator
773 Posts
A few tips in determining a flooded vehicle:
1) Pull back the carpet and look and smell. Looking for a bit of mold and smell of musty odor.
2) Headlights have a light film of dirty water on the inside
3) Seat tracks go back and forth a little roughy - difficult to clean the seat tracks
4) Other electrical problems?

You might ask for the old cabin harness and find out which parts were corroded. That will give you an idea of what part of the vehicle might have been flooded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the tips!! Much appreciated. I will look for them. I’m supposed to pick up the car tomorrow (it’s in the shop at the dealer) so we’ll see how this goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s probably too late but I would bring it somewhere else if I were you. There are very few times when replacement of an entire harness is necessary. I am a technician for VW and Audi at a dealership and in the 15 years I have been working on vehicles, there was only 1 time when an entire harness replacement was necessary and even then it could have been repaired but the insurance company made the choice to have it replaced.

What was the initial concern that lead to them stating it needed the harness replaced?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kris,

Did you get the harness back?
I have to agree, it was exposed to water or rodents.
I was a Toyota Master Tech. At the one dealership I was the main harness / electrical / fuel injection tech. I repaired dozens of harnesses, never replaced an interior one. Toyotas from the 80's & 90's had problems with water getting into the tailgate & door harnesses. The PVC jacket gets hard and the wires become discolored & brittle. Hopefully you can get the harness and check it out. We always saved pieces and extra harness from used parts to scavenge parts from. They should still have the harness even if they say they don't.

Good luck,

FSG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! Here's the full story if anyone is interested. I purchased my Crosstour in October 2019 with ~30,000 miles on it. Bought it from a dealership Certified Pre-owned.

In early March (yes, 3 months ago!) I drove to work as usual, and when I got into the parking lot and put the car in park, A Forward Collision Warning message started scrolling across the dashboard, various lights turned on, the "P" indicator light on the shifter started blinking, and there was a clicking sound coming from the shifter. Also, the drivers side power seat stopped working.

I drove it to the dealership since the car still drove fine. Then the cascade of repairs began.....

1) First they found that the range switch was shorting out. So they replaced the transmission range switch (code p0705 was found...this seems significant but I don't really know what it means...)
2) Then they found the PCM was malfunctioning, so they replaced the PCM under emissions warranty
3) The shifter "clicking" still was not resolved, so they replaced the instrument panel wire harness. Again, a covered part under the certified pre-owned warranty.
4) Finally, they replaced the cabin harness (not covered under the certified pre-owned warranty. they did not charge me for labor though, which significantly lowered the bill.) That seems to have fixed the issue. The corrosion was between connectors under the driver's seat. I did not ask for the harness itself but I will - can't hurt to ask.

I asked if they had any idea how water/moisture got in there, and they didn't really answer which isn't surprising. Simply said that it could be any number of things.

·
Super Moderator
773 Posts
Fits the symptoms of a flooded vehicle. Often these problems won't go away. It will be one electrical problem after another. I would suggest give the car back, sell it or whatever. You could be instore for a long list of electrical problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts