Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 Crosstour, AWD, no Navi white with ivory interior. The dealership is touting an "Auto Armor Environmental Protection Package" which includes a foam applied to the underside of the car and other exposed metals to protect from rust, a coating over the entire exterior and a coating on the interior. There is a 10 year rust warranty and 7 years on the paint and the interior. I don't have all the fine details, but supposedly they would re-upholster the interior if the protection failed. All this for a "mere" $1200.00. I am skeptical but thought I would ask here for advice.
Also, does anyone have a Honda Care extended warranty? Saccucci Honda has what appears to be a good price. Saccucci would sell me a 84 month/80,000 warranty for $1000 less than the dealer wants! Needless to say, I won't purchase the warranty from the dealer. I do not usually buy extended warranties, but have never owned a Honda before. My last 5 cars were Subaru's. Worth it? Or, Honda's are so reliable that it is a rip off?
I live in Vermont, so lots of snow, not so much ice, but lots and lots of road salt. Can't wait to drive my new car home!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm going to let some of the Northerner's answer on the rust proofing. I grew up in New England but have lived in the deep South for the past 35+ years. Usually all that stuff is a ripoff price wise, as far as needing further protection someone else more familiar with what they put on the roads up their now can give you better advice.

On the extended Honda Care warranty I did mine from Saccucci. Paid a little over a 1000 for 8 years and 120k miles, no deductible. Great price, plan on keeping the CT at least 8 years and if I change my mind I can transfer the warranty to another owner in a private sale.

Best wishes and enjoy your new ride.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Welcome to the CT Forum and congrats on your purchase of a new CT. I personally would stay away from the Auto Armor Protection Package. The vehicles now-a-days do not rust like they did in years past. Heck, I can’t even remember the last time I saw a rusted vehicle on the road. I have seen numerous times where undercoating would get into the wheel sensors and linkages and cause lots of problems. If this protection product is really that good the manufacturer would add it at the factory. When I bought my CT a few weeks ago, they also tried to sell me this too. I turned it down. Just not a believer of this. Normally they pressure you into purchasing it immediately so you don’t have the opportunity to check it out or ask someone. That should also be a clue.

As for the extended warranty that is a different story. When I purchased my car they offered me 1.9% for 60 months. They told me if I purchased the extended warranty, that Honda (not a 3rd party warranty company) would extend the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty to 6 years and 80,000 miles. The cost would be $1700 dollars. BUT - if you purchased this warranty, Honda would drop the interest rate from 1.9 to 0.9%. When you calculate it out, your now only paying about $350 for the $1700 extended warranty over 60 months. I liked that. I think it made my monthly payment about $6 a month higher. Not a bad deal. Like you, I have never purchased an extended warranty before as I take very good care of my vehicles and do my own maintenance and repairs, but thought for $350, all it would take is one small repair to cover that. I always prefer a manufacturers extended warranty to an aftermarket. In these days of so many companies going bankrupt, it’s really a roll of the dice with 3rd party warranty companies.

Here in Kansas we get a good combination of snow and ice. I think some politician in Kansas owns a salt mine the way they spread this stuff out. I take my vehicles to a good car wash that includes an under vehicle wash. I don’t know any other way to get the salt off the undercarriage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts